Forum Meetups

So how many people who have posted in this thread "Watch" (follow) the meeting place forum?
I do and just saw a link to a Cambridge Meet I sorted out, forgot about that one.
Lovely weather that day, got quite hot sitting outside eating our lunch in St John Street

I wasn't watching, because I knew I wouldn't be able to make any meets, but am now because I might

So how many people who have posted in this thread "Watch" (follow) the meeting place forum?
Not me, in part as the last few years have been tough, and I've not been up to the idea of any sort of social thing especially with strangers..

Not me, in part as the last few years have been tough, and I've not been up to the idea of any sort of social thing especially with strangers..
Sadly nor have I, but by the end of April my wife should be off the very vulnerable list
Got a gig ticket booked for April 22nd at Islington O2, first one since Feb 2020 at Brixton.
Caught Covid on that occasion and it's the same band, hoping for a different outcome this time.
Hope whatever ailed you is better and you can get out and about again,

There are so few new threads in there its worth Watching it, it's not going to flood you with alerts.

I hadn't seen the meets section until reading this. I'd love to do some meets to widen my portfolio, but my type of work and shift patterns make this very difficult. I live in Sussex and access to London is easy, especially as I'm fortunate enough to work on the railway. Most of my non wildlife work is nights and often I could do with company when walking the streets of London, even being London born and bred I often find it an intimidating place after dark. I'm more than happy to get involved, not just in the city, but elsewhere in countryside :D

I've been on and very much enjoyed a couple of the F&C meet-ups.

However there are some key individuals in all this whose acquaintance I have absolutely no wish to make in meat-space, and it makes me much less inclined to participate in the future.

Londons a good way for me too, 190 ish miles, but then theres lots to see and do there too.
Had a trip up a few years back with my oppo, started at tower hill, over tower bridge and along the south bank globe theatre, london eye, , back over westminster bridge, downing street, horseguards, tafalgar square, piccadily circus and finally covent gardens, my mate and took got shed loads of pics, had a coffee and later a meal and a pint (cheap) we spent less than the wives on a macdonalds.
As long as I'm not working I'd be up for a wander.

Londons a good way for me too, 190 ish miles, but then theres lots to see and do there too.
Had a trip up a few years back with my oppo, started at tower hill, over tower bridge and along the south bank globe theatre, london eye, , back over westminster bridge, downing street, horseguards, tafalgar square, piccadily circus and finally covent gardens, my mate and took got shed loads of pics, had a coffee and later a meal and a pint (cheap) we spent less than the wives on a macdonalds.
As long as I'm not working I'd be up for a wander.
Sounds like two types of wander might be needed, one for the very occasional tourist and another for the want something different crowd.

Did he live in France or maybe that's someone else i'm thinking of?

He moved out there several years ago, but he still popped over for a meet occasionally.
Still alive and kicking folks and been over here in France for 13 years now. Moved house last year and still living in chaos but I'll be joining in again on here when serenity returns.
Sorry for the long absence and I miss you all (perhaps not quite all :))

Hi Bob, I'm glad you are well, and still enjoying life the other side of the channel (y)

Still alive and kicking folks and been over here in France for 13 years now. Moved house last year and still living in chaos but I'll be joining in again on here when serenity returns.

Hi Bob, where are you? We bought a house in the Morvan this year, although we aren't living there for now.

I joined in about 2008/2009 after seeing a post about a meet up at Wisley Gardens. Back then, certainly in the SE there seemed like there was a meet up every weekend. I made lots of friends through this forum and during 2009-2011 I must have been out at least once a month with members, certainly during the warmer months. It was mostly small meetups with other locals, organised ourselves. Then in 2013, I moved to West Wales and there's very few members round here. I must admit without the in person interaction the forum lost it's appeal a bit which is partly why I recently setup phototalks.uk. I ccasionally browse the Meet Up forum hoping to see some more SW Wales meets, if anyone does organise one I'll do my best to attend them.
Next year I'll be trapsing back up to London every 3 months with work, so I might try and organise an evening wander aroudn central London at some point.

I've met some of the guys on here and face to face was great. But there are some I never wish to meet in meatspace.

I went on a meet and walkabout in Leeds years ago (just looked at the pictures, 2008) through The Amateur Photographer. I had a good day. I took my Canon 20D and a bag full of lenses and changed lenses about every 23 seconds.

These days I honestly can't commit to a day out on a specific date due to the situation at home.

Last edited:
Too far for me but after years posting here meeting other posters one day would be nice.

We have kinda met or at least stood next to each other. It was when you were down here in London for a day or two but for the life of me I can't remember at which location. The only way I know it was you is that I recognised your wife from pic's you have posted. I'm not one to encroach on people's privacy so I let it pass but on reflection I kinda wish I'd said hello and maybe treated you both to a coffee etc. :)

Back