fotopic gone?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
www.fotopic.net has been unavailable all day

I have over 75 thousand pictures online with them and all for sale.. .. I am losing money

According to posts on fotopic.net facebook site.. fotopic was sold in may (nice to let us paying customers know) to a company called Snappy Designs Ltd

never known it to be offline for so long and theres a lot of people worried.. reports now say it will be online tonight..

Signed ...Worried of Accrington ...

not good then - sorry to here that...

Snappy Designs aren't listed as being liquidated, wiki has info saying it's a problem with the hosting company but time will tell I guess...

Its deffo liquidation but also they say hosting problems... fingers crossed for the latter but it doesnt look good.

thinking of going co-location route and hosting them myself .... may end up being a silver lining :)

The stuff on companies house is ancient, last I read was @ 1:36am posted by an ex-fotopic employee who said it was a hosting problem - Kingston Comms had dropped fotopic from the route map and it will take a while to get it sorted, could be 48 hours from fixing before it filters through the net.

The stuff on companies house is ancient, last I read was @ 1:36am posted by an ex-fotopic employee who said it was a hosting problem - Kingston Comms had dropped fotopic from the route map and it will take a while to get it sorted, could be 48 hours from fixing before it filters through the net.

Possible liquidation.. then bought by new company then having problems... so well i hope thats the timeline and thus ...could be back tommorow........

funny... still cant sleep aaaaargh..

People have been emailing me all day saying they can't get to my galleries, I hope they're back soo and haven't gone into liquidation.

Bugger :crying::crying::crying:

And to top it all I can't upload to my site to inform people,my logon wont work :bang::bang: emailed them this morning fingers crossed

welll its still not there this morning... this looks real bad :(

I guess most can go to another host.... i cant find one that will take 75k of pictures and the amount of traffic I get :(

That is bad news in your business! I hope you all have them backed up?

As you say, might be a blessing etc.

That is bad news in your business! I hope you all have them backed up?.

backups shouldnt be a problem for anyone... I would think someone would be stupid for that to be the only copy :)

but getting 75 thousand pics online.. thats gonna take some doing and while we wait for confirmation that fotopic is no more...i for one lose money

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh ...just didnt see this coming and never took it into account as a possibility :(

Bums bums bums bummy bums.

And I'm not selling anything but it's bloody inconvenient -- I was setting up a few different galleries and they seemed the easiest one to work with.

Well according to the ex owner... it will be back up ... it hasnt gone bust and it was the fault of kingston who supply the internet to snappy ltd ...... it could all be back within next 24hrs

And to top it all I can't upload to my site to inform people,my logon wont work emailed them this morning fingers crossed

Just got an email back saying my site and email could be lost for upto the next 72 hours :bang: :bonk: :bang:

Oh well only one thing for it...:beer:

Just got an email back saying my site and email could be lost for upto the next 72 hours :bang: :bonk: :bang:

Oh well only one thing for it...:beer:

email from where?

No No No, I have a load of pics on there and a lot of websites are linked to mine :bang: I can not be bothered with this hastle. Time to download coppermine and make my own site I think.:bonk:

Crap, ive got 2 galleries waiting to upload and 30,000 photos online, what irks me most of all is i renewed my Premium account on Dec 29th, they were happy enough to take my wonha off me then.

Crap, ive got 2 galleries waiting to upload and 30,000 photos online, what irks me most of all is i renewed my Premium account on Dec 29th, they were happy enough to take my wonha off me then.
I renewed mine about the same time.:bang:

All I know is.. technical problems dont last 3-4 days... not for companies like this.. Holidays or no holidays .. ISP have 24/7 access all year round..

I am going to give it 24hrs (in case its a money thing and bills need paying mon morning) then its time to make other arrangements

All I know is.. technical problems dont last 3-4 days... not for companies like this.. Holidays or no holidays .. ISP have 24/7 access all year round..

I am going to give it 24hrs (in case its a money thing and bills need paying mon morning) then its time to make other arrangements

But what other arrangements, there isnt anything as good and adaptable as fotopic out there, PBase, Smugmug, Flickr, theyre all totally rubbish compared to fotopic, unless of course anyone knows anything else suitable.

But what other arrangements, there isnt anything as good and adaptable as fotopic out there, PBase, Smugmug, Flickr, theyre all totally rubbish compared to fotopic, unless of course anyone knows anything else suitable.

Not only arnt they as good.. they wont accomodate me.. too big for them :(

gonna look into the link above and maybe get some hosting for myself.. but thats limiting... colocation is best but expensive..

host myself using a pic library software...

cant think of owt else :(

fotopic ltd went under.. they sold fotopic.net to this other company and its them that have let us down.. but no one knows who/what/why ... the fact that its days not hrs would seem to mean its a permanant thing.

Ive just signed up for the free package, spoke to their live support and you can buy extra webspace if required, the free package doesnt have ads either, looks good.

Not only arnt they as good.. they wont accomodate me.. too big for them :(

gonna look into the link above and maybe get some hosting for myself.. but thats limiting... colocation is best but expensive..

host myself using a pic library software...

cant think of owt else :(
What makes you think smugmug cant handle you?

Having seen a message from the previous owners of fotopic and an explanation of whats wrong (see google groups) I am now a lot more confident that fotopic will be back eventually.. soon but dunno how soon...

And until that happens, I've just bought a domain from one.com. Maybe it was time to grow up and get a "real" homepage :thinking:

Strange... I didnt think people used fotopic as a home page.. I use it for what it is.. to store pictures.. website still running.. just no pics :(

If you just want to store photos, then any decent web host will manage it perfectly well. When I say decent, I don't mean £25/50 a year hosts. To spend £100-150 a year is very reasonable business expenses if your web site brings in business of any size. My web host, bytemark.co.uk, has never gone down for me once. Only thing is it's for the more technically minded as they don't offer fancy control panels - you get a server (virtual or dedicated) and reliable web hosting.

Strange... I didnt think people used fotopic as a home page.. I use it for what it is.. to store pictures.. website still running.. just no pics :(
I know lots of people who've used it as a homepage, isn't that why the have all those templates for the galleries?
I would never use an on-line service to store pictures, what if suddenly they go out of business?? :puke:

Templates are to intergrate the stored pics into your existing website.. well that how i use it anyways.. :) i suppose some will use it as an actual website

Whatever happens I am going from fotopic, downloaded coppermine, got me a domain name just need a host and im running.(y)

Having seen a message from the previous owners of fotopic and an explanation of whats wrong (see google groups) I am now a lot more confident that fotopic will be back eventually.. soon but dunno how soon...

Expect it to take 24-48 hours after the fault is fixed for the DNS entry to filter through the net. Once the router is restored the root servers will quickly get access but it can take a while for that to get down to the DNS for ISPs, etc. much like a new domain takes a while to become accessible.

Below is a quote from Joel, hes the guy who sold fotopic to snappy designs, things look hopeful.l

Hi guys 'n' gals --

I've just got off the phone after managing to track down one of the
directors of Snappy Designs. I asked them to post here but they have
declined (I reckon because they can't get in touch with their PR
people at this hour).

Therefore here is the news as I understand it:

1. The reason it's unavailable *is* a hardware fault with the
interface to the outside world. The gentleman I discussed the
situation with isn't an IP engineer so was unable to give me solid
details on how it's failed but if I can be of assistance in getting it
back up I will be - sadly the old Cisco 4000 series in my garage won't
cut the mustard with at least a partial routemap! The router is
intentionally powered down which could mean anything from a router
failure to a cabling fault.

2. Snappy Designs is solvent - and they're injecting more cash into it
to sort out Printshop and the rest. At that point (apparently) the
Printshop system will change somewhat and be more "automatic". I don't
have any more on that so please don't ask me for further details.

3. There is a plan to give Plus/Premium users at least a fortnight
extension across the board.

4. It's *hoped* that it will be back in the early hours of Monday
morning. I make that a 72-hour outage. I will keep track of what's
going on and see if I can get further information tomorrow.

5. The architecture for Fotopic.net is still largely the same as when
we left in May. This means that when it comes back it should be mostly
OK - the image servers will probably take about 20 minutes to populate
their caches during which it'll be a bit slower than usual. I have
volunteered to be on standby to help the engineers if required.

6. There will be a full statement going out to all Premium/Plus users
when it's back, which will explain things. I did ask if they had any
plans to email their users prior to the recommencement of service but
there are no facilities to email upwards of 60,000 people without the
servers to handle it (which I can well believe, we have some
"interesting" issues emailing Yahoo people en-masse for instance). SD
said a statement will come pretty sharpish ***.

7. I'll be having discussions with Snappy Designs about the future of
Fotopic.net, but please remember that myself and Nicky have been away
from the front-line since May (with the exception of assisting with
the odd support mail nobody else could answer, or when I've tried to
assist with things they didn't understand yet). So please, please,
please, the "Mr Angry" emails have to stop or I'm going to have to put
this down again. I'm just trying to help here.

So, tomorrow morning then.

Best wishes

Joel.

Just like any other web host except it has its own inbuilt gallery, take the tour on their site, it looks like what i need so ive signed up for the free account.

Back