Undecided Fotovue vs Ellen Bowness' Photographing .....

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi chaps
I have an extensive collection of the Fotovue series of books, Photographing xxxx.
I don't have any of the Ellen Bowness series, Guide to Photographing books, but have been considering getting some

Do any of you chaps have copies of both sets by any chance? If you have, a 'compare and contrast' would be much appreciated.

How different are they? Any advantage of having one set over the other? Any preferences?

Thanks in advance for your views, experiences and comments

I have some of each Ellen bowness and fotovue. I like both of them , i find the fotovue books are more expensive but much more detailed and contain more locations , but consequently are heavier and bulkier to carry with you if you intended to use while visiting locations . If I had to choose I’d pick fotovue but only because they have more locations and info in them.

Given the binary choice and I could only have one, I'd go Fotovue... However there is always space for just one more book on the bookshelf...

I find the fotovue have more info per location and also a bit of an insight by the author. its like one is an essay the other synopsis

I have two Fotovue books (Scotland and East Anglia) and one of the Ellen Bowness series.
The Fotovue books are far more detailed and have far more locations in each book, but they generally cover a larger area. The Ellen Bowness books cover a smaller area with fewer locations, but its still good information.
One thing in the favour of the Ellen Bowness series is the size. You can easily put it in your pocket, if you find that one location isn't working for you, you can simply pull it out and look for something else closeby. The Fotovue books are too heavy to carry around, at best you'd need to leave them in the car.
However, I tend to use books as a starting point for my trip and then explore the location on arrival rather than just copy the shots directly from the book.

Back