Found film, or film processed long after exposure

Amazing Kodachrome. It is very much missed, but what would be the cost of K64 be nowadays? Just looking at a direct comparison firstly, with inflation, then add on any extra costs to source the exotic chemicals and then the process plant. I worked for a company which suppied a water degasser to Kodak Harrow, might have designed the pressure vessel myself come to think of it, It was 18-8 stainless steel, if I remember rightly, and polished inside. A reinvestment in that technology and process plant is unthinkable I would say, The gear I worked on was only a small part of the line feeding in deionised water to the processing plant. I think there was probably a vacuum pump set involved, maybe a rotary liquid ring pump, supplied by my company as well but other colleaugues sorted that out.

Amazing Kodachrome. It is very much missed, but what would be the cost of K64 be nowadays? Just looking at a direct comparison firstly, with inflation, then add on any extra costs to source the exotic chemicals and then the process plant. I worked for a company which suppied a water degasser to Kodak Harrow, might have designed the pressure vessel myself come to think of it, It was 18-8 stainless steel, if I remember rightly, and polished inside. A reinvestment in that technology and process plant is unthinkable I would say, The gear I worked on was only a small part of the line feeding in deionised water to the processing plant. I think there was probably a vacuum pump set involved, maybe a rotary liquid ring pump, supplied by my company as well but other colleaugues sorted that out.

I had a look recently, using the prices in an old Argos catalogue (which include processing in the price), and it came in at around the same cost as buying a roll of current slide film (Velvia / Provia / Ektachrome) plus processing. Roughly £25 give or take in todays money.

I came across these on a film inside a cheap camera I bought. I have made some efforts to track down the people in the pictures but as yet, to no avail.

Attachments

• 000001adjusted.JPG
    000001adjusted.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 000007.JPG
    000007.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 000008.JPG
    000008.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 000009.JPG
    000009.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 000010.JPG
    000010.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 000011.JPG
    000011.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 000012.JPG
    000012.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 000013.JPG
    000013.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 000014.JPG
    000014.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 000015.JPG
    000015.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 000016.JPG
    000016.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 34
I processed a load of 35m films for a member of the Pentax user site that had been in his loft for years -- the Agfa APX 100, FP4, Kodak T-max 400 all came out well with a little extra development in Liquid Promicrol 1+14 and my Home-Made FX-4 Formula 1+1 for the T-max 400 BUT 3 cassettes of ILFORD PAN-F came out BLANK in three different developers after I did the first one in Promicrol -- then RODINAL 1 Hour Stand, then FX-4 for 45 minutes -- even the factory fogged edge numbers came out blank indicating a severe case of 'Latent Image Regression' that Pan-F is well-known to suffer if you don'y get it processed within 2 weeks ! There was increased GRAIN on all films as the Molecules of Silver Halides are still 'Ripening' over many years in the emulsion layer. I charge £2-50 for 'traditional Silver B&W films ' and £4-50 for C41 type films + a stamped addressed envelope for neg return.

I bought a Zeiss Ikon Ikonette folding camera in August 2019. It contained a roll of Kodak Verichrome film which I have been meaning to develop ever since. I finally got around to it today - Rodinol 1:100 stand developed for one hour. Not sure the results were worth it! There were a couple more but they barely had images on them. There is quite a lot of image damage - lots of dark spots ( white spots on the negatives, of course) and a few blotches. I don't have a 127 size negative holder which didn't help either.

EDIT: Verichrome Pan was made between 1956 and 1995 so this film is at least 26 years old.

img20210504_15192200.jpegimg20210504_15202091.jpegimg20210504_15210872.jpegimg20210504_15223929.jpegimg20210504_15231877.jpeg

Last edited:
A recent auction purchase has given me a digital camera with images from 2007 on the SD card and a camcorder with what appears to be a half used tape. I need to figure out a way to view the tape.

Remember these?

20210507_084044.jpg

A recent auction purchase has given me a digital camera with images from 2007 on the SD card and a camcorder with what appears to be a half used tape. I need to figure out a way to view the tape.

Remember these?

View attachment 317804
You should be able to either view the tape on the camcorder itself, or connect it to a TV or similar with the correct cable (my old camcorder used a mini-SCART lead IIRC). Both are dependent on the camcorder having power obviously.

You should be able to either view the tape on the camcorder itself, or connect it to a TV or similar with the correct cable (my old camcorder used a mini-SCART lead IIRC). Both are dependent on the camcorder having power obviously.

Yeah it definitely has power and it came with some leads so I will check them out. (y) (y)

A couple more photos, this time colour negative (stock unknown) fixed in cardboard slide mounts. No idea of the date they were made, or where the images were shot - perhaps someone recognises the mountain in the second image?

Mountaineer
by a_bit_of_this_a_bit_of_that, on Flickr

Mountain
by a_bit_of_this_a_bit_of_that, on Flickr
It would give modern films something to aspire to
Thanks for sharing those slides, beautiful colours. On the first page you see Les Droites, Aiguille Vertes and Aiguilles du Dru in French Alps above Chamonix. Photo was made from the direction of Mont Blanc, you see the Aiguilles Du Midi on the left side of the picture. Photo is flipped horizontally, should look like that in the atachment. Correct_Flipped.jpg

On the second photo there is Les Grand Charmoz mountain with pillar Aiguille de Republique. You see that mountain on the exit from skiing Valle Blanche, the longest skiing descent in Europe, more than 20 kilometers long starting from Aiguille Du Midi. Just before going up the stairs to Monteverse railway station, train brings you back to Chamonix. I love film photography man, soul inside. Best regards. Jaka

Last edited:
Thanks @Jasko014 . It's always nice to find out more info about these old photos so I appreciate this. Google Street View helps in many cases if there are clues in the pictures, but it's not so much help when they were taken on the top of mountains. :)
Very much welcome and thank you again for sharing those. I have been in those places and they were easy to identify.

The top shot looked like African scenery, reminded me of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and a search of Google Books turned up an entry in the 1982 Livingstone directory for "McILVIN EJ . 2444 Box 29 Agents for Zambia State Insurance Corp Ltd" same phone number on the shop-front. EJ also turns up in the 1964 Northern Rhodesia Oicial Telephone Directory (same phone number) as a Medical Officer of Health.
IMG_7464.jpeg

The top shot looked like African scenery, reminded me of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and a search of Google Books turned up an entry in the 1982 Livingstone directory for "McILVIN EJ . 2444 Box 29 Agents for Zambia State Insurance Corp Ltd" same phone number on the shop-front. EJ also turns up in the 1964 Northern Rhodesia Oicial Telephone Directory (same phone number) as a Medical Officer of Health.
View attachment 386395

Top class sleuthing there. (y)

Back