Found SD Card

I do not believe that the Police would have done anything to reunite the owner with the card - I regret I have little faith in them.
They may have done little. But generally, if someone is looking for a card, the police are probably the only central place they can to go to. Unless there is one of those lost property places.

They may have done little. But generally, if someone is looking for a card, the police are probably the only central place they can to go to. Unless there is one of those lost property places.

But they didn't because they couldn't and that is increasingly the case. It's the same where I live.

I felt I could do more and reunited a very grateful owner with his photos.

I'm not saying the plice must do something apart from record they received it. I'm saying if you were looking for a card. It makes sense to contact some central office. If there is nothing dedicated, the the police must be the only choice.

Thanks for all the comments, some helpful and others, well shall we say, less so.

I hope I wasn't included in that. I think giving advice to put your details on the card is very helpful. If the guy had done that, you could have just called him to arrange it's return.

Put your details on your cards!

I hope I wasn't included in that. I think giving advice to put your details on the card is very helpful. If the guy had done that, you could have just called him to arrange it's return.

Put your details on your cards!
Definitely not - you made a very sensible suggestion, as were most others.

In fact it was Artyman's comment about registration numbers that caused me to review all the photos again. There was no reg. no. but from my review I followed the successful route to identifying the owner.

I'm sorry, ian5pa, you may be right about the only recognised route for reporting, but the Police have not made this easy to do by closing many stations and I, personally, have no faith in them. Most of the closed Police stations are still there and still occupied by the Police, but the public are not allowed in to report anything. Oh, how we have lost our way!

Last edited:
Interesting thought. I wonder if there are any prints from the perps still on the card.
Though, like you, I don't believe that the police would follow it up too enthusiastically when there are *far* more important crimes for them to prosecute.

Interesting thought. I wonder if there are any prints from the perps still on the card.
Though, like you, I don't believe that the police would follow it up too enthusiastically when there are *far* more important crimes for them to prosecute.

I would very much doubt it now, It's not a massive surface area in the first place not now it's been handled too much.

Sounds like some good has come out of this. I'm not sure where the law and data protection stands with this type of situation. From what I understood, if you were to find a camera or a phone and it was not returned to the owner, then it would need to be destroyed lest data be given to the wrong people. In truth, what are the chances of the owner being found by the police who have a lot of other things to deal with.

Great job Ken . As for handing it in to the police , the guy would have been reporting a missing camera so still may not have got the card back .

If the EXIF had been present and had contained the camera serial number, stolencamerafinder.com might have been a way to track the owner down. http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
Try it for fun with your own camera's serial number, and see any pictures from it posted online.

Last edited:
If the EXIF had been present and had contained the camera serial number, stolencamerafinder.com might have been a way to track the owner down. http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
Try it for fun with your own camera's serial number, and see any pictures from it posted online.
Heh I just tried that for a laugh, knowing there are hundreds of my pictures on line on many many sites. It didn't fine a single one...

I reviewed photos again and knowing the area surmised that Teignmouth was the most likely place they were staying. They had taken photos inside the cottage they were renting. They had a dog. The cottage had beams. I searched for such a cottage and found it, contacted the renting agency and gave them my details. They passed this onto the owner of the card and I have just spoken to him and will send the card by post to him.

Great stuff. With all the cr@p that happens every day it's always good to know that there are people who will put themselves out to help others.

Well Done.
:D

Back