Found SD Card

Sorry - can't help you with that one.

Somebody once told me that (when on holiday) they write an 'if found please contact.........' message on a piece of paper and then photograph it.

Good idea I thought.

Would never of thought of that - what a brilliant suggestion.

I'm sure I've seen the guy around - we've been here for 10 days.

I can tell you were it was taken Babbacombe downs Torquay I know the area well lived in Torquay for a few years

Most piccies on the card are in that area - Torquay, Paignton and Brixham.

Try printing the image and putting up a notice in the area where you found it. They may come back to look or someone local may recognise him?

Good idea but I have no print facilities and am due to travel back home tomorrow morning.

I think I know the woman pushing the pram :rolleyes:

Would never of thought of that - what a brilliant suggestion.

Not as brilliant as putting your name and phone number on the actual card :) ... most manufactures even leave a little space for you to do this :)

Last edited:
If you think its worth the hassle, how about contacting the local paper, they usually love this sort of story, they'd print his photo, and (I imagine) invite readers or the chap himself to contact them to facilitate reunion of card and togger.

If you think its worth the hassle, how about contacting the local paper, they usually love this sort of story, they'd print his photo, and (I imagine) invite readers or the chap himself to contact them to facilitate reunion of card and togger.
I think they are holidaying in the area and may well have left.
I was there on holiday and have now returned home.
I'll give it a little longer to see if anyone recognises him and maybe try a different approach.

Not as brilliant as putting your name and phone number on the actual card :) ... most manufactures even leave a little space for you to do this :)

Do both

Some people drop a CF card and the finder may only have an SD card camera to check.

With a lost camera

Some people will look at the photographs on the screen but never think to take the memory card out.

Some people will look at the memory card but not the photo's on the screen either because they don't know how or because the battery is dead.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you hand it into the Police (if you haven't already). As it stands you've effectively stolen that card.

Try Facebook, its amazing how things can go viral by people sharing the pic or the message you leave

I'd suggest you hand it into the Police (if you haven't already). As it stands you've effectively stolen that card.
No he hasn't theft would be to take it with the intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner, the OP is trying to locate the owner to return the item he has found

No he hasn't theft would be to take it with the intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner, the OP is trying to locate the owner to return the item he has found

Pish. It's theft by finding (in these parts anyhow). It's not his responsibility to find the owner. You have a duty to hand found property to the Police.

Last edited:

^^^^ This ^^^^

Pish. It's theft by finding (in these parts anyhow). It's not his responsibility to find the owner. You have a duty to hand found property to the Police.

Try google search
1 Basic definition of theft.E+W. (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.
Another google search quote
In England and Wales, theft is a statutory offence, created by section 1(1) of the Theft Act 1968. This offence replaces the former offences of larceny, embezzlement and fraudulent conversion.[17]

The marginal note to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968 describes it as a "basic definition" of theft. Sections 1(1) and (2) provide:

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.
(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.
Sections 2 to 6 of the Theft Act 1968 have effect as regards the interpretation and operation of section 1 of that Act. Except as otherwise provided by that Act, sections 2 to 6 of that Act apply only for the purposes of section 1 of that Act.[18]

No it isnt and no he doesn't

But the Police are not interested in lost property...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29498364

Sgt Armstrong sounds grumpy, over worked and under staffed.

Every station in England/Wales has a LFP book behind the counter. They may not treat it as an urgent blue light issue but they will record the property, log it and keep it for 90 days. After that, they will contact you to collect it or will dispose of it.

Try google search
1 Basic definition of theft.E+W. (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.
Another google search quote
In England and Wales, theft is a statutory offence, created by section 1(1) of the Theft Act 1968. This offence replaces the former offences of larceny, embezzlement and fraudulent conversion.[17]

The marginal note to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968 describes it as a "basic definition" of theft. Sections 1(1) and (2) provide:

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.
(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.
Sections 2 to 6 of the Theft Act 1968 have effect as regards the interpretation and operation of section 1 of that Act. Except as otherwise provided by that Act, sections 2 to 6 of that Act apply only for the purposes of section 1 of that Act.[18]

Don't you just love it when a Google lawyer comes online......

What strange upside down part of the world do you live in where finding something and attempting to trace its owner counts as theft ? I bet your local thieves break in and leave people new TVs

At least google search is likely to be a tad more up to date than those dusty old law reference books they use form 1067 lol
and what's with those old wigs they wear ffs

He does look a little familiar, maybe just one of those people with a familiar looking face :rolleyes: Just had a thought, could be a little iffy asking if anyone knows the details of a person in a photo. I know the OP is going to be asking an honest question, but it could be anybody asking the question.

Hand it in to the police. Or similar. Then he has a chance of tracing it. And you'll feel you've done a good deed.

Wipe your DNA off the exibit first though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments, some helpful and others, well shall we say, less so.

I do not believe that the Police would have done anything to reunite the owner with the card - I regret I have little faith in them.

I know if it was my card I would want it back and therefore was determined to reunite the owner with his holiday photos.

There is good news and bad news.:):(

I reviewed photos again and knowing the area surmised that Teignmouth was the most likely place they were staying. They had taken photos inside the cottage they were renting. They had a dog. The cottage had beams. I searched for such a cottage and found it, contacted the renting agency and gave them my details. They passed this onto the owner of the card and I have just spoken to him and will send the card by post to him.

That was the good news - the bad news was that he lost the camera in Brixham when reloading the car. Some scum must have picked it up and discarded the card (too much evidence) within 200 to 300 yards.

Nevertheless, he is happy to have the card returned and commented that he can replace the camera.

He reported the loss to a nearby café and the RNLI station but not the Police as they only open the local station for very limited hours.

A reasonably happy ending.:)

Back