Fox for baiting Buzzards (contains dead fox pic)

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Found this guy down by the burn in the wood at the end of the garden today. It's in a clearing right in front of the trees where I've been photographing Buzzards of late.

Not sure how fresh it is as I've not been down there for 3 or 4 days but it's intact so I might just leave it and see if the buzzards take to it as I couldn't have placed it in a better spot.

6619977451_1c319c9b15_z.jpg

Have you ever smelt a dead fox?? :puke::puke: as a Game keeper, I can tell you its none too pleasant a smell, even when they are alive and I doubt Buzzards would be interested to be honest

I will of course wait and see you shots (y) I do hope Im wrong :D

Les (y)

Be surprised to be honest mate.

Not worth leaving down then ?

Coming from a family of keepers - I've had plenty of contact with Foxes (dead and alive) but have never left one down as Carrion before.

It's a very long way from the house, my dogs can't get at and the weather isn't warm so the smell shouldn't be an issue.

If it's a none starter though - I'll shift it.

Last edited:
Not worth leaving down then ?

Coming from a family of keepers - I've had plenty of contact with Foxes (dead and alive) but have never left one down for Carrion before.

It's a very long way from the house, my dogs can't get at and the weather isn't warm so the smell shouldn't be an issue.

If it's a none starter though - I'll shift it.

I`d leave it Phil, keep an eye on it, something will scoff it.........(y)

I will do then.

If the stink becomes an issue I'll bury it.

There were a couple of buzzards in the tree above it today but they were just sitting in the rain. Took a wander down later on but it looks untouched from what I can tell.

Although it's only about 15 yards from where I took the photo (and on my land) it's really hard to actually get down to check as i wanted to see if it had been shot.

TBH bin / bury it. Plenty of dead foxes and badgers round here and even the crows don't touch them once the eyes are gone.

This bird popped down for a nibble but when I got down to where I could see the fox I disturbed it and it flew off.

It's looking a bit nibbled but I'll just bury it on Sunday or Monday - whenever I next have a chance to go down there in daylight.

6649220667_1cb91536a9_z.jpg

Do my trick get an air tight bag and pick up road kill, not a nice job but it does the trick ;) for most types of baiting
Regards
Richard

Back