Fox Hide Afternoon

Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
i had the opportunity to spend an afternoon in a fox hides.
some images of the shoot

Image unedited apart from a crop

Any comments, suggestions or critiques welcome

20220806_113301.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03353-edit windows.jpg
    DSC03353-edit windows.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC03443-edit windows.jpg
    DSC03443-edit windows.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGL4121-edit windows.jpg
    IMGL4121-edit windows.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGL4126-edit 2 - Copy.jpg
    IMGL4126-edit 2 - Copy.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGL4131-edit.jpg
    IMGL4131-edit.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Beautiful picture T. Just beautiful.

Well taken. I hope you are rightly proud of them :D

Beautiful picture T. Just beautiful.

Well taken. I hope you are rightly proud of them :D

Strangely enough I was hoping they would be sharper as I was using Sony A6600 on a canon fit Sigma bazooka lens 150-600 contemporary. SO I am not sure what tweaking I need to do ! ! !

Strangely enough I was hoping they would be sharper as I was using Sony A6600 on a canon fit Sigma bazooka lens 150-600 contemporary. SO I am not sure what tweaking I need to do ! ! !

Well... if you're happy why bother? :D

Well... if you're happy why bother? :D

I am experimenting with the Sony A6600 as my primary camera because the animal eye detect tracking is suppose to very, very good. I think the issue may be that the sigma 150-600 C is not native E mount and I am adapting it, or my expectations level are too high ! !

You are right I am very happy with the results, just hoping for more !

T there's 2 levels to this the first is I'd have loved the experience.ok adored it. and sure I've really enjoyed looking at the frames really enjoyed bro !! The second is I'd have wanted more IQ wise, Talk nature isn't really a crit forum,but yeah the IQ isn't there ........maybe a tad under exposed?

Mate that last frame in the little jobbies really has that feeling of menace charlie can evoke to a viewer damn that's one that speaks to me.

T my honest thoughts I can't help you with where a sony and 150-600 meet..... if the frames were mine I'd blame me.. that said cause I would want more. I really would I'd be searchiing the web while kicking me mate why didn't I nail this?

Mate be aware folks tell me I'm too hard on me ,it ain't that it's just how can I find more be better

Wildife toggin is this complete an utter joy at just being with a beastie ( many times that's enough bro something for me) and then there's that juxta position of a camera in me grubby mits...................... of trying to steal it's soul.... and utterly nail that soul stealing use the tool in hand to paint a picture that speaks to another.

Being a wildlife tographer isn't just the image T it's way way more, it's adoration of beasties................but it should always be a quest..................to be the best you can be.......... make the best of a given chance ................ make the best of the gear in ya hand

Does that make sense bud ya know those aiint the piccies ya were after it's written in your posts,that's not to say there isn't a joy to 'em mate

there really is that (y)

stu

Any comments, suggestions or critiques welcome
Yes keep doing what your doing. Those are fantastic shots. Ive had and still have Foxes in my garden regularly. I never get as close as you have but still get great delight in seeing them.

T there's 2 levels to this the first is I'd have loved the experience.ok adored it. and sure I've really enjoyed looking at the frames really enjoyed bro !! The second is I'd have wanted more IQ wise, Talk nature isn't really a crit forum,but yeah the IQ isn't there ........maybe a tad under exposed?

Mate that last frame in the little jobbies really has that feeling of menace charlie can evoke to a viewer damn that's one that speaks to me.

T my honest thoughts I can't help you with where a sony and 150-600 meet..... if the frames were mine I'd blame me.. that said cause I would want more. I really would I'd be searchiing the web while kicking me mate why didn't I nail this?

Mate be aware folks tell me I'm too hard on me ,it ain't that it's just how can I find more be better

Wildife toggin is this complete an utter joy at just being with a beastie ( many times that's enough bro something for me) and then there's that juxta position of a camera in me grubby mits...................... of trying to steal it's soul.... and utterly nail that soul stealing use the tool in hand to paint a picture that speaks to another.

Being a wildlife tographer isn't just the image T it's way way more, it's adoration of beasties................but it should always be a quest..................to be the best you can be.......... make the best of a given chance ................ make the best of the gear in ya hand

Does that make sense bud ya know those aiint the piccies ya were after it's written in your posts,that's not to say there isn't a joy to 'em mate

there really is that (y)

stu

All the images are straight from the camera, no editing at all apart from cropping to upload on here

I do blame myself as I keep asking myself what did I miss or do wrong ! ! ! ! !
The Sigma 150-600 on my canon 7Dii is pretty snappy to focus, though the only issue I have is I need to calibrate ( I do have the Sigma Dock ) as I believe it may be back focusing ! !
So putting the sigma canon fit on my Sony A6600 the mirrorless focusing system via MC-11 adapter should work pretty well as the AF is done via the sensor. The main issue I notice is the focusing is not as snappy as my 7Dii, which is too be expected !
been experiencing ! ! !

I will phone Sigma and do some more research before my next fox shoot !

I appreciate your honesty

Lovely images to view . If these are straight conversions from raw files they will very likely look soft , I am of understanding that most raw images need at least some sharpening . Why no editing ? It`s nice to get everything right in camera , and we should rightly so strive for it , but think it`s a given these days that the majority of images benefit from a touch of enhancing . I wasn`t going to comment on them looking a little soft , but they do to me . I do feel however if you enhance them and add some sharpening etc , it will totally lift them .

Stu , so pleased to see you posting , hope all is good .

A couple of very quick edits , and I am far from good at it and it`s very opinionated , but think it`s helped .

20220806_113301.jpgDSC03274-edit in Windows.jpg

Last edited:
you say you calibrated your lens to your canon 7d was this with the dock, did you reset it using the dock, before using it on the Sony might not make any diffrrence but worth a try, also have you updated the firmware on the mc 11. you should be getting Sharp shots with the set up the sigma worked very well when i used it on my a6400 , the only difference to the a6600 is the a6600 has ibis , maybe this is causing problems, have you taken any more shots what are they Like, if you go back to 2020 on my flickr page theres a couple of Fox Shots i took with the siggy and sony

Last edited:
you say you calibrated your lens to your canon 7d was this with the dock, did you reset it using the dock, before using it on the Sony might not make any diffrrence but worth a try, also have you updated the firmware on the mc 11. you should be getting Sharp shots with the set up the sigma worked very well when i used it on my a6400 , the only difference to the a6600 is the a6600 has ibis , maybe this is causing problems, have you taken any more shots what are they Like, if you go back to 2020 on my flickr page theres a couple of Fox Shots i took with the siggy and sony

The images are straight from camera and these images are the jpegs ( do shoot both RAW & jpeg ) only edit is a crop.

I have not calibrated the 150-600 yet to to the 7Dii, it is something I have been meaning to get round to !
Though this should not be a problem on the Sony A6600 as the AF is via the sensor and not the Prism, so this why I am surprised the images are soft. The shutter speed, aperture and ISO are at levels to capture movement.
The A6600 had eye lock and seen to sticky enough in the EVF
I am wondering is it the sigma 150-600C lens as my Canon lens Ef 70-300L IS USM works very well on Sony A6600 and I have got some sharp images ! !
I will up load some later.

Unfortunately if I use the 70-300L IS USM even on crop APSC sensor camera I believe I will not have enough reach as most of my fox shots where taken between 420 - 580mm !

Last edited:
All the images are straight from the camera, no editing at all apart from cropping to upload on here

I do blame myself as I keep asking myself what did I miss or do wrong ! ! ! ! !
The Sigma 150-600 on my canon 7Dii is pretty snappy to focus, though the only issue I have is I need to calibrate ( I do have the Sigma Dock ) as I believe it may be back focusing ! !
So putting the sigma canon fit on my Sony A6600 the mirrorless focusing system via MC-11 adapter should work pretty well as the AF is done via the sensor. The main issue I notice is the focusing is not as snappy as my 7Dii, which is too be expected !
been experiencing ! ! !

I will phone Sigma and do some more research before my next fox shoot !

I appreciate your honesty
T you are very welcome it's hard trying to get the above out and not be coming over harsh, Not my intention at all I'm not trying to be that........Yup I understood they were unedited.more than anything though I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing the issue and your next chance.............wish I could help more. all the luck in the world

Mark I'm ok bless ya and hope your are too bro just insanely busy,so the joys of trying to make piccies have taken a temporary back seat,not for ever though (y)

I phoned sigma uk today for advice regarding the Sony A6600 and Canon fit Sigma 150-600 contemporary soft focusing issue, and the advise is that if mounted on tripod and gimbal. Then turn off all IBIS on camera and image stabilising on lens, because the camera and lens expect slight movement for being hand held. Therefore the IBJS & OS will make small movements / adjusts which will introduce movement and cause blurr ! ! !

I went to the zoo on Monday and used my Sony A6600 with a canon EF 70-300L IS USM via sigma MC-11 adapter and it worked very well, which has done in the past.
So I suspect the issue with the Sigma 150-600C is the OS & IBIS being switched on when mounted on a tripod and Gimbal !

Back