Non UK France and Switzerland Advice

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Afternoon, I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer me some advice? I'm traveling for two weeks across France and Switzerland. I'm traveling from Calais across to the Alsace, down the Alsace region and crossing into Switzerland. In Switzerland we're staying in Interlaken for a few days then traveling out to Chamonix. We're staying in Chamonix for about 4 days.
Has anyone got any recommendations on great locations? Obviously whilst I'm in Chamonix I'm going to visit Mont Blanc and then out to the Matterhorn.

It would be great to hear peoples adventures.

Hi if you are traveling by car you need a permit for Switzerland

From the RAC Website https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/switzerland/

As above plus

If you're driving in Switzerland, your checklist requirements are:
  • A valid UK driving licence.
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background).
  • Your motor insurance certificate.
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down.
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way).
  • A motorway sticker if you're driving on the motorway - you can buy this at the border and at most petrol stations.
  • Snow chains in poor weather - road signs will let you know when you need to put them on the car.
  • If you usually wear glasses or contact lenses, you must carry a spare pair with you in the car.
Going away? Remember to take RAC Travel Insurance with you.

You must also:
  • Be 18 or over.
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car).
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle.
It's a good idea to have:
  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights.
  • A first aid kit.
  • A fire extinguisher.
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here.
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company.
  • Winter tyres, if you're driving between November and March.
Other things you should know:
  • Petrol and diesel are readily available, along with a lead replacement additive.
  • You can only get LPG at eight petrol stations across the country.
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 80kph on open roads and 120kph on motorways.
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine.
  • The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml).
  • You must use dipped headlights when driving through tunnels - and it's recommended you use them the rest of the time too.
  • It's illegal to use any radar detection equipment, whilst driving through Switzerland.
  • If you have a GPS navigation system that shows you where any fixed speed cameras are, you must deactivate this function.
  • Children under age 7 can't sit in the front.
  • Hitch-hiking isn't allowed on motorways and other major roads.
  • Pedestrians generally have right of way.
  • When overtaking, you must indicate before moving back into the right-hand lane.
  • During the day, you must sound your horn before going round a sharp bend with limited visibility. At night, flash your headlights instead.

Back