France trip but no tripod!!

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Im off to France on Tues, and the Paignton bike show the weekend after on my motorcycle so space is at a premium, Ive managed to get my d300s, a 55 - 200, a nifty fifty, and a 20mm wide angle lens, and my SB600 flash in a small camera bag after taking off my battery grip, my problem is that I cant get my tripod on the bike as I have absolutly no room what so ever left.

My question is, what is the minimum shutter speed I can use hand held, I know I will have to adjust my ISO and aperture to get faster shutter speeds but can never remember the min shutter speed for hand held so I dont get camera shake.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Shutter speed will depend on focal length. CAn't you bungee your tripod to the side of the bike?

usually the reciprocal rule which is the shutter speed = focal length.

e.g. 50mm lens will require min shutter speed of 1/50.

Although a few people will usually double the shutter so the 50mm would be 1/100 to fully ensure a sharp picture. also that's using a base ISO of 100 so 200 ISO would be 1/100, 400 ISO would be 1/200 etc

hope this helps :)

Although a few people will usually double the shutter so the 50mm would be 1/100 to fully ensure a sharp picture. also that's using a base ISO of 100 so 200 ISO would be 1/100, 400 ISO would be 1/200 etc

that's the one.

you could also have a look at a gorilla pod and fix it onto fences, posts etc..

Thanks guys I see and that makes sense now, good good, another thing learnt and put in the storage for later

Why would ISO matter ?. Surely the about of "wobble" by handholding is the same for whatever ISO just varies on shutter speed ?.

that's the one.

you could also have a look at a gorilla pod and fix it onto fences, posts etc..

Now thats a good idea, I didnt think of that, also Ill look at bungeeing the tripod to the bike somehow.

Thanks again

Why would ISO matter ?. Surely the about of "wobble" by handholding is the same for whatever ISO just varies on shutter speed ?.

The shutter speed will increase with the ISO speed. so if you normally have your camera set at ISO 200, but find yourself in a situation where you can't get a high enough shutter speed, you can increase your ISO to maybe 800 or 1600 ISO, which will allow you to use a higher shutter speed again, although you may have a slightly lower quality final image with more visible 'noise' or graininess.

I have a gorillapod, but most places I want a tripod, there aren't anything to attach it to! Still, it you go to places where tripods aren't allowed, that's when it becomes useful.

As said above a general rule of thumb is the reciprocal of focal length.

Depends on what you are shooting but if possible try to wedge yourself against something to give that extra stability.

The general rule I use is 1/60th or 1/focal length (which ever is faster).

The shutter speed will increase with the ISO speed. so if you normally have your camera set at ISO 200, but find yourself in a situation where you can't get a high enough shutter speed, you can increase your ISO to maybe 800 or 1600 ISO, which will allow you to use a higher shutter speed again, although you may have a slightly lower quality final image with more visible 'noise' or graininess.

Thanks, That I understand...I read an earlier post as suggesting the 1/focal length rule changes depending on ISO, which it clearly shouldn't.

Back