Free 48 hour Canon test drive

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this has been posted already, I did look and couldn't see it.

Canon are offering free 48-hour test drives of DSLR, EOSR, RP and a selection of RF and EF lenses :)
You obviously have to pay a deposit (deposit for my lens was £400), which is fully refundable once you return the lens.

I've just booked the 100-400mm 4-5.6L IS II, delivering it Friday and collecting it on Monday. That's my weekend sorted.
Although the wife has just put her head in her hands and said 'Oh no, you're going to want one aren't you?' :agree:

https://www.canon.co.uk/testdrive/

Last edited:
Yes I got the email this morning! Was mulling it over, may be tempted to try one of the R 85mm as I'm pretty okay with the telephoto aspect of my kit!

Yes I got the email this morning! Was mulling it over, may be tempted to try one of the R 85mm as I'm pretty okay with the telephoto aspect of my kit!

That was the other lens I wanted to try, £700 deposit on that one.
The promotion runs until the end of June so I may get the wife to sign-up and try that one before it ends.

I didn’t get any email and I’m a platnium CPS member (as far as their database is concerned).

in wouldn’t mind trying the new RF glass.

Thanks for that I was thinking about hiring a Canon 100mm lens to see if it would be an improvement and now it will be free.

Thanks for that I was thinking about hiring a Canon 100mm lens to see if it would be an improvement and now it will be free.

Exactly, what's not to like? Other than having to pay a deposit which is understandable.
I've been thinking about the 100-400mm 4-5:6L IS II for quite a while now but was always a little undecided.
Now I get to try it all weekend and see whether it's something I'd get a lot of use from.

The EOS R is super popular. There is only one date available for body only and that's it. I can't make my mind up if I actually need to play with something that I probably will never buy.

100-400 may be the one toy to play with, and / or perhaps test the waters what the life is like with TSE lens.

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm quite tempted to try an EOS R and some of the RF primes,

I've also booked an RP for a weekend in July. It's the camera I'm interested in as an upgrade for my 6D so I'll do some comparisons. I also added the RF24-105 and the RF35 1.8.
Quite excited but yes the wife has said "does that mean you're going to want one?"
[emoji1]

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm quite tempted to try an EOS R and some of the RF primes,

Yes - hired a couple of RF lenses and it was very a smooth process. They arrived as expected and the courier turned up to pick them up after the 48Hr period. You do have to pay the deposit upfront but that was back in my bank 2-3 days after I returned the lenses.

Do they disinfect them between customers do you think? We've been leaving any post that arrives for 72 hours before opening it, but can't do that with this 48-hour test drive!

Last edited:
Do they disinfect them between customers do you think? We've been leaving our any post that arrives for 72 hours before opening it, but can't do that with this 48-hour test drive!
You can always clean it down yourself. We're having to clean every bit of equipment between users at work and that includes keyboards, mice, cameras and microphones. With camera gear you just have to be careful what you're cleaning the glass elements with.

They may have stock that has been quarantined before it gets sent out. IE, it comes back from a rental, gets checked, cleaned and boxed up, then doesn't leave again until 72 hours have passed.

The actual hire is being done by Hireacamera and their website says:
"In light of the current situation, Hireacamera would like to offer reassurance that we are doing everything in our power to uphold the safety of our staff and customers. All staff are equipped with hand sanitiser and antibacterial cleaning products and are regularly washing their hands. All equipment is being thoroughly cleaned after each hire and we are taking extra cleaning precautions, including sanitising all contact points regularly. If you do have any concerns then please do not hesitate to get in touch via email or telephone. "

So that sounds pretty decent to me, though I will give it a clean when it arrives anyway.

I booked and tested the RF 28-70. Cracking lens but one I knew I would never buy due to its weight and size but wanted to have a play with one and for free.. no downside! Very rare you get a good chance to play with kit you are considering buying for a couple days, esp given some of the options available! Go for
It I say.

This offer has now been extended due to courier problems and they are more flexible with the loan period.

I had my loan last weekend. The hire company were very efficient and sorted out an issue with the courier extremely promptly. Refund of the deposit came back 2 days after sending the kit back to them. Very good service all round, and I enjoyed having an extended play with the camera!

I had my loan last weekend. The hire company were very efficient and sorted out an issue with the courier extremely promptly. Refund of the deposit came back 2 days after sending the kit back to them. Very good service all round, and I enjoyed having an extended play with the camera!
I checked and they only offered a 24 hour test drive. How long did you have yours for?

I checked and they only offered a 24 hour test drive. How long did you have yours for?
It was meant to be a 48-hour test drive but in my case they delivered the camera a day early :) They even called me to ask if that was ok, I suppose to make sure someone would be in to accept the package, but given the lock-down that wasn’t a problem! So I had it from Thursday morning to Monday morning.

It was meant to be a 48-hour test drive but in my case they delivered the camera a day early :) They even called me to ask if that was ok, I suppose to make sure someone would be in to accept the package, but given the lock-down that wasn’t a problem! So I had it from Thursday morning to Monday morning.
That’s some awesome luck. So do you think you’ll be getting one?

That’s some awesome luck. So do you think you’ll be getting one?
Not decided yet. I wanted to see how it performed with my existing EF lenses using the adapter and to be fair it was very good with all of them. Even with an EF-S lens it seamlessly switched into crop mode and worked very well. Just not sure if the RP was the right model for me, and the 24-105 lens they sent with it felt rather big and heavy on the small body. Maybe the R would be better, but in any case I’m going to wait for next week’s announcements from Canon before making any decisions.

I've just booked the 100-400mm 4-5.6L IS II, delivering it Friday and collecting it on Monday. That's my weekend sorted.
Although the wife has just put her head in her hands and said 'Oh no, you're going to want one aren't you?' :agree:

You will indeed, an often overused term but this lens is AWESOME :)

David

I'd booked the RF 85mm f/1.2 for this weekend, for a £700 deposit.
It was meant to be delivered tomorrow so I could use it Saturday and Sunday and then collection on Monday.

They said they were having issues with couriers so delivered it at 9am this morning, and I have it until Monday.
Can't wait to give it a try, just hope the weather holds out. :)

Back