Beginner Free editing software

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Sure this will have been asked before - but any recommendations for editing software that can be downloaded for nowt?

gimp is really good, but it can be a bit confusing at first, you'd be best to download a guide and with some youtube vids to start off with

You could also get the photoshop CC sub free trial, only 8ish a month if you think it's worth it (you probably will) and if not just cancel

Hello Andrew and welcome to TP. GIMP is very good but as said takes some time to get used to and explore all it can do. For jpegs the simplest I have found is Photoscape. It is limited in what it can do but it is small and really easy to use.

Dave

I always recommend Google's free Picasa. It's intended for beginners, is very easy to use, and while limited in what it can do, no curves or layers for example, it does what it does very well. I don't like the way it wants to reorganise all the photos on your hard disk and help you post them to Google's special photo services on the web, so I just told it not to do that in the settings. I now use quite a variety of different editors when I want to do complex things. I nearly always shoot RAW plus JPEG because the circumstances when I'll want to do careful processing from RAW are too unpredictable. Picasa has limited RAW processing powers, so when I want to do that I'll often use another more sophisticated editor. But 90% of my images need no more than a bit of cropping and tweaking of the JPEG image. I've been surprised to find that Picasa is so good and quick and easy at that that it still does all the processing on 90% of my images.

Fastone Image Viewer (it's much more than a viewer) is pretty good for jpgs. Easy to use, small, well featured and free.

Last edited:
If you're going to continue and get the most out of your shots, at some point you'll want to learn Photoshop or Lightroom. I'd go with Gimp as a free source. Yes, it's got lots of features but you may as well start learning them as soon as you can. There are tons of free tutorials on the net so if you want to do it you can and it'll cost you little or nothing. It's worth the effort.

Back