free sb900 with d300s

I don't remember my LCD having a protective film on it. All the cables should be bagged.

Personally I wouldn't have cleaned it, I would've just taken it back and said "I want a new one damnit, not some ex-display or returned body!" (which is what it sounds like).

Thanks Kaouthia, I am going to ring them, it came from their online site not the shop. I take it it should have a zero shutter count?

As far as I'm aware, yeah (I didn't actually check on mine before I used it). There's really no reason that I can think of it should have a shutter count higher unless indeed the store (whether it be online or an actual shop) has taken each one out to test. If that's the case though, you'd think they'd be more careful regarding fingerprints and repackaging.

Presumably the same would hold true for the flash itself, as it's part of the purchase deal.
No - the terms and conditions say you must continue to own the 'purchased products' the flash was not purchased, it was given as a free gift. You are at liberty to sell it if you wish, however should Nikon ever want you to return it (for example you return your D300s for a refund), you would need to either provide it back to Nikon or make good their loss (effectively the cost to Nikon of providing you with the flash), which would be MUCH less than the retail price.

Don't forget that the purchase deal was not with Nikon - but the Nikon dealer whom you purchased the D300s from. Nikon are not party to that transaction, so the flash CANNOT be part of the purchase transaction.

Last edited:
good points :)

You'll get a phone call from Nikon to confirm the serial number of the camera and then the flash will follow about 2 weeks later. Painless procedure :D

Thanks for this, I got a call last Thursday so I'll sit waiting for the postie in 10 days or so :D (y)

Just updating my posts above (which I think are probably in the wrong place so apologies). I emailed Jacobs that I wasn't happy with the camera they had sent and they arranged for DHL to come and pick it back up the next day and have sent me a new one out, according to DHL tracking it's coming today. Have to say Jacobs seem to be a really good company to deal with, in the store (Manchester) and online. Can finally get my SB900 voucher sent off. Did everyone just use normal post or recorded/special delivery?

Received my SB-900 earlier this week and now in a proper dilemma on whether I sell it or keep it! Original plan was to keep my existing SB-600 and flog the SB-900 and offset part of the cost of the D300s body, but now I'm not so sure! :thinking:

If it were me, I'd sell the SB-600 rather than the SB-900. I've still got my original SB-600, but it hasn't really been out of the bag since I got a second SB-900. I'll probably be getting rid of it at some point soon to part fund another SB-900. :)

My SB 900 came today, woot! :D

Now all I gotta do is learn how to drive it, man what a monster thing it is!

Grats.

Not got mine yet. Gonna have to call NPU tomorrow and find out what's up. :)

Called 01420 525 506 (as per the terms and conditions) and they confirmed they have received it, mentioned they would call back in 2 weeks to get the serial (but I just gave it to them then). Receiving stock in soon so should be sending them out soon! I sent it last week by 2nd class unrecorded too!

Just decided to give 'em a quick call to find out the status, and she says my flash was sent out on Friday, so it might be here today. They never did call to double check my serial number which I was quite surprised at as so many here have reported.

Just decided to give 'em a quick call to find out the status, and she says my flash was sent out on Friday, so it might be here today. They never did call to double check my serial number which I was quite surprised at as so many here have reported.

Did you phone Npu or the promotion hotline?
I sent mine of the same day as you, phoned them a few weeks ago and they said there not able to tell me if they have received the voucher until 28 days have passed :cautious:

I phoned the promotion number 01420 525 506. Lady I spoke to on the other end was very nice. Asked for my postcode and my name, and then said it was sent out on Friday.

It didn't arrive today though, so fingers crossed for tomorrow. :)

I phoned the promotion number 01420 525 506. Lady I spoke to on the other end was very nice. Asked for my postcode and my name, and then said it was sent out on Friday.

It didn't arrive today though, so fingers crossed for tomorrow. :)

Thanks mate, will give them a call in the morning and see what the status is. Hope you gets yours tomorrow (y)

Just arrived via DHL :)

Did you phone Npu or the promotion hotline?
I sent mine of the same day as you, phoned them a few weeks ago and they said there not able to tell me if they have received the voucher until 28 days have passed :cautious:

I called the promo number and he told me it had arrived even thought it was posted for less than 2 weeks!

Mine has just come, put some batteries in had switched it on, blimey it's noisy. The manual says if noise is present then the batteries are weak. I am just charging mine up now to see if it goes away but after a Google search it seems the noise is normal (whining type noise when zooming or switching on), is this right?

when I turn mine on, the gears whir into action and set the flash head at right position, and that's pretty much it. The only "whine" as such is a very high pitched, barely noticable even with your ear right up to the flash, continuous noise which I guess is just keeping the capacitors in the flash topped up.

Then there's a quick discharge whine (going from high pitch to low) when I fire it at full power, and nothing besides that.

That's using fully charged GP2700mAh rechargeables. Same with all three of my SB-900s. So yeah, give it another whirl when your batteries are charged and see if it still does it.

Back