Free sky images?

You can get a sky online? Oh my. So many questions.

Can you get other parts of pictures? Can I get a rose bush or a flock of birds?

Are there vendors who take otherwise damaged pictures and strip them for parts? Photo wrecking yards? "This one's garbage, but look at that cow. Anybody could use that cow."

Who's the main customer for these? I bet it's art directors. I've always been suspicious of art directors. This doesn't help.

Has anybody built a photo kit? Like a jigsaw puzzle or an adult coloring book? Box of components -- sky, mountains, meadow, stream. Make it your own by adding optional elements -- fence, cow, flock of birds. Put it all together and you get a beautiful landscape, suitable for framing. Ages 6-adult. Kickstarter?

You can get a sky online? Oh my. So many questions.

Can you get other parts of pictures? Can I get a rose bush or a flock of birds?

Are there vendors who take otherwise damaged pictures and strip them for parts? Photo wrecking yards? "This one's garbage, but look at that cow. Anybody could use that cow."

Who's the main customer for these? I bet it's art directors. I've always been suspicious of art directors. This doesn't help.

Has anybody built a photo kit? Like a jigsaw puzzle or an adult coloring book? Box of components -- sky, mountains, meadow, stream. Make it your own by adding optional elements -- fence, cow, flock of birds. Put it all together and you get a beautiful landscape, suitable for framing. Ages 6-adult. Kickstarter?

That's the way its heading - there's no doubt about it.

I browsed the website of a prominent TP member recently. Found a flock of cranes over a well-known Welsh landmark.......being a bit of a birder I thought I'd have known if they had been seen - a flock of cranes in flight is not exactly difficult to miss!

Anyway, further down in the same gallery, a different landmark with the same flock of cranes......

Then

Last edited:
Deleted my original comment, I just hit the ignore button instead.:(

Last edited:
Oh, look what Adobe's doing!

I watched the video. I'm not totally on board with their offering. I think I can do a much better job by hand with carefully selected donor images that have matching light direction rather than forcing any over-the-top sky and risking minor brighter details.

You bet flickr and insta will be full of this by the end of the year.

That's the way its heading - there's no doubt about it.

I browsed the website of a prominent TP member recently. Found a flock of cranes over a well-known Welsh landmark.......being a bit of a birder I thought I'd have known if they had been seen - a flock of cranes in flight is not exactly difficult to miss!

Anyway, further down in the same gallery, a different landmark with the same flock of cranes......

Then

You found it then. Good. Which one did you like better? :) I was also thinking of doing a mushroom cloud version too but haven't got the source file for it. We might not have long to wait if things keep going as they are. The cranes - I managed to get these with 600mm f/4 a few years back and it wasn't in Wales or anywhere near, but same latitude if that helps. It nearly killed me hauling the lens to 100m observation tower. That's was all my wildlife to date so I will be sure to use it to a good monetary effect.

Back