Free software to remove Vignetting?

Name
Louise
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, after a little help.

Is there any FREE software that removes Vignetting from JPG's?.

I have downloaded Nikons Capture NX-D free software (as my camera is a Nikon) but unfortunately the Vignetting Control seems unavailable to me.

Gimp and the normal/basic photo editing software on my computer suffice for all my other needs, its just Vignetting that's causing me an issue.

Hope you can help.

I have downloaded Nikons Capture NX-D free software (as my camera is a Nikon) but unfortunately the Vignetting Control seems unavailable to me.

Have you ticked the box [ ] marked Vignette Control, (above the slider), if you haven't you won't be able to use it. :)

I have tried to tick the box yes but it will not allow me to, unlike the Red Eye option above it which it lets me access. The Vignette Control option is greyed out which implies I cant access it I suppose, which is a shame. I wonder if this option is only available if you are editing RAW's, which I'm not :-/

Capture.PNG

No, when I load a jpeg it still allows me to use the Vignette Control slider ... what version of NX-D are you using ( Help > About ).

1.4.6 :)

That's the current version, not sure what's going on for you there! :thinking:

I wonder if my laptop is not up to it, perhaps? I'm using Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, which is listed in the system requirements for Capture NX-D.

I doubt that, more likely a setting issue but I'm not sure where.

Thanks for your help, I wonder what it is I'm missing!

Can you prehaps upload the photo you are trying to edit to remove vignetting?

Can you prehaps upload the photo you are trying to edit to remove vignetting?

Its not for just one specific photo unfortunately.

Basically, I am looking at buying the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR as an "all in one" option, but have read numerous reviews that say the main downside with this lens can be Vignetting at certain settings. The lens ticks all my other requirements, I'm just bit concerned that I'm going to take the odd shot that's got a vignette that I cant remove....hence my investigation to if Free software exists that removes vignetting (should I need it) :)

Were the photos you are trying to adjust taken with a Nikon lens?

You may find that if you're using jpg images then the camera will automatically compensate if it's a recent model.

Were the photos you are trying to adjust taken with a Nikon lens?

Good point!!!! ... No the one I was testing it out on wasn't.

I have just tested it out on a photo I did take with the Nikon and ...... I can now alter the Vignetting!!! :)

THANK YOU :)

I feel like a plonker, but THANK YOU :)

Im going to have a play with it now!

You may find that if you're using jpg images then the camera will automatically compensate if it's a recent model.

My camera is the D3200 so I'm guessing it wouldn't be able to.

That's fairly recent, so more than likely, so possibly with a firmware update. If you're buying from a dealer then they should be able to let you try the lens to find out first.

That's fairly recent, so more than likely, so possibly with a firmware update. If you're buying from a dealer then they should be able to let you try the lens to find out first.

I was looking at buying the lens from MPB so wouldn't be able to try it out without buying it.

I've just had a look in the settings on my camera, but cant see any option to alter the Vignetting under the Shooting Menu options.

I have recently done a firmware update.

Last edited:
I was looking at buying the lens from MPB so wouldn't be able to try it out without buying it.

I've just had a look in the settings on my camera, but cant see any option to alter the Vignetting under the Shooting Menu options.

I have recently done a firmware update.
You need to have distortion control on in the camera shooting menu,that is if your shooting jpeg

You need to have distortion control on in the camera shooting menu,that is if your shooting jpeg

I have turned ON the "Auto Distortion Control" setting

I just don't have on my camera a "Vignetting Control" option (which I gather is available on some other Nikon models)

I have turned ON the "Auto Distortion Control" setting

I just don't have on my camera a "Vignetting Control" option (which I gather is available on some other Nikon models)
So nxd should work with Nikon lenses,but 3rd party dxo optics free download of an early version is available

So nxd should work with Nikon lenses,but 3rd party dxo optics free download of an early version is available

Yes I now have got Capture NX-D working :)

I'll have a look and see if this software allows you to alter the Vignetting too, thank you. Always good to have options incase software is withdrawn down the line I suppose.

DXO have tested many combinations of lens and camera, and the software should automatically download the necessary information to perform corrections for distortion and vignetting for your lens & body combination. This would be a good semi-automated software package for you.

DXO have tested many combinations of lens and camera, and the software should automatically download the necessary information to perform corrections for distortion and vignetting for your lens & body combination. This would be a good semi-automated software package for you.

That sounds great, thank you :)

Back