Free Storage for people to upload birthday party photos

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife is having a birthday party (landmark age ;)) and she has asked everyone to take photographs throughout the day/evening and then upload them to 'the cloud' for her to see.

What she forgot to ask first was whether this was possible. I've got Dropbox, google Drive and One Drive and wondered if I can set up a folder and allow others to submit photos somehow. even for complete non-techies?

Or is there a free alternative?

Thanks in anticipation.

You can set up a shared folder on Dropbox. I’m not sure if you can set it you without actually approving accounts that can upload to it.
Thanks Rob, That was the only option I could think of as I've done that many times for family, etc. As there could be potentially a couple of hundred people there, I don't fancy setting access individually if I can help it.

Thanks Rob, That was the only option I could think of as I've done that many times for family, etc. As there could be potentially a couple of hundred people there, I don't fancy setting access individually if I can help it.
Just found out about file requests:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tech...lets-anyone-upload-files-to-your-account/amp/

Maybe it will do what you want. Not sure if you could get some business cards created with a link to file request invitation and details how to do it.

Last edited:
Why not just set up a private group on Facebook for the party?

Plenty of suggestions so far. I've used google drive for something similar with group photos from a holiday.

Why not just set up a private group on Facebook for the party?
Thanks for the suggestion. Would I have to invite/add everyone to the group individually? Also not everyone is on Facebook that will be there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I have to invite/add everyone to the group individually? Also not everyone is on Facebook that will be there.

I'd encourage anyone who has not already succumbed to giving themselves to that particular business to stay well away. Enough that they're almost certainly already being tracked by google without being tracked by facebook as well.

Here is a simple solution for people:
1. Search for Nextcloud host.
2. Pick any host with a basic free plan, and sign up.
3. Login and create a Folder with the name of your event.
4. Select this folder, and click on Share. Choose "File drop only" so they can't delete anyone else's pictures.
5. Send the link to the guests.
They just open the link in a browser, and drag and drop pictures in.
If you like it, and want more storage, simply upgrade to a ~£1/month plan. And even add the Nextcloud app to your phone, for backups and sync.
This avoids the intrusive tech giants, is open source, and no need for anyone to sign up. And if you want a different provider, pick a different Nextcloud compatible, one and copy across.

Last edited:
Back