Fro knows photo

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Just wondered if many people on here visit froknowsphoto.com I've only been shooting a few months, and I've found this guys site really good for learning some of the basic, but fundamental principles of photography. There's tons of really good easy to follow videos on there, and there's new stuff being added pretty much every day. If you're a relative beginner like myself, it's definitely worth a look! Anyone else know of any other good sites for this kind of thing?

I used to subscribe to his youtube channel but eventually I got bored of his over done style. He can be quite good at some stuff but the "boom" attitude and elitist "no crop" and "raw only" comments started to grate.

Also he puts out so much stuff it became hard to keep up with what I had and hadn't watched.

Yes they have quite good videos. I used to have them on my facebook as well but they ended up spamming me with lots of irrelevant information so i removed them.

Yeah I visit his site and speak with him on skype quite often for advice and things, He's really talented!

I think he is another "Ken Rockwell" type character. There are nuggets in there that are very usefull, but at the end of the day its a marketing exercise and some stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
I do like some his editing videos though. I learnt a lot about Lightroom thanks to him.

I think he is another "Ken Rockwell" type character. There are nuggets in there that are very usefull, but at the end of the day its a marketing exercise and some stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'd agree with that, I got bored of him quite quickly, and now he's just irritating.

I think he's made a mistake dumping Greg as he gave a more technical background into the equipment whereas Jared is more boom and Pow . .

Still, I have learnt a lot from him but I wish he'd stop spamming my email to try and get me to buy his bloody hats and 'fro picks'!

When I started out his youtube channel came in stupidly helpful. I mean yeah hes over the top but what american isnt? ;)

He does begin to grate after a while but I still subscribe, theres no harm in NOT subscribing I guess ;)

Yeah I know what you mean about the 'k-pow' 'boom' etc but I'd still recommend his site to anyone wanting to grasp the basics (After recommending the TP forums of course)

I think DigitalRev are the best photography-related Youtube channel.

Adorama (SnapFactory on Youtube) also do great videos for beginners.

I have watched digital rev but prefer fro knows. Only thing is I do canon and he does Nikon. Any other good sites to look at ?

Dom Bower
Like Dom Bowers style of videos, maybe not a very polished style but I like....might not suit everyones taste. Ignore the later critiques, his earlier stuff is alright.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dombowerphoto

[url]http://www.snapchick.com/[/URL]
Is always worth a look, here describing depth of field ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut0R1ZlPmQk&feature=relmfu

I find the fact she is flaunting her sexuality and ample size bosom in order to obtain higher views on you tube quite unappealing, however I have subscribed to her channel due to the informative nature of her videos.

*This is the official statement given to my wife.

[/B]

I find the fact she is flaunting her sexuality and ample size bosom in order to obtain higher views on you tube quite unappealing, however I have subscribed to her channel due to the informative nature of her videos.

*This is the official statement given to my wife.

I also have a good grasp of Depth Of Field......but I did watch that vid a dozen times just to be sure :love:

...oh and her bikini/pool pics don't have anything to do with photography....but even then I believe there are couple of hidden tips ;)

Last edited:
I think he's made a mistake dumping Greg as he gave a more technical background into the equipment whereas Jared is more boom and Pow . .

Still, I have learnt a lot from him but I wish he'd stop spamming my email to try and get me to buy his bloody hats and 'fro picks'!

+1

Been on his channel for about a year and i used to watch his videos 3-4 times per week, but now its more like 1-2 times per week if im lucky

Sorry, not a big fan of the fro. Maybe the occasional good video, but often it's all style no substance.
I don't think he gives a great impression to beginners either. He'll do one video explaining how any entry level DSLR can do xyz. And then follow up with a video of him doing xyz, but with his D3s and 70-200mm etc Sometimes I get the feeling he's all about the equipment more than anything else...

I was a big Dom Bower fan, until he started doing those random critiques. :confused:
I also like Gavin Hoey's videos, they're always full of great info!

I've had a look at some of the videos from 'fro' he's good but only in very small doses. His personality is just too much if you're going through a few vids.

Sounds like I need to check out Dom Bower (who I've never heard of). But when it comes to some pure entertainment videos (that are light on the tutoring) I think DigitalRev TV wins hands down.

maninsuitcase said:
As a bit of an update: I was watching 1 or 2 of his more recent videos and he seems to have toned things down a bit recently.

Had a look at one of his comparison videos on RAW editing and an insightful photo shoot with a nikon D3100. Very useful stuff maybe Jared has calmed down since I last saw him....

I love all three... Dom and fro did a live webcam chat with each other, that's rather amusing :)

Digitalrev is for fun reviews like top gear,froknows is just annoying as is dombowerphoto with stupid critiques and he says the d800 is ALMOST twice the resolution of the d700 Pmsl 3 times fool!
For straight up no-nonsense tutorials adorama tv on YouTube hosted by mark Wallace there what really helped me.

he says the d800 is ALMOST twice the resolution of the d700 Pmsl 3 times fool!

He's probably talking about linear resolution, where the D800 files are only nearly twice the size of the D700's

The fro does get a little annoying - he should start limiting his videos to 5mins top.

Another guy i like is dave dugdale (learningdslrvideo) with some great tips on shooting video. (He uses a canon 550d like me).

ive been following him now for around 6 months & love the Lil clips he makes.. but find it hard to watch every clip he does as he does so flipping many.....

i also keep a very close eye on snapchicks blogs lol.. wonder why...

Love the fro spoke to him a few times but also watch Dom and matt plus mark Wallace, digital rev is ok but I dunno just summit about them make me turn off half way through, Gavin hoey is also good met him at focus this year really nice chap.

I like Fro but I usually get too distracted to be able to listen to what he says, apart from the 'Fro knows photo dot com!!' he always does. Love watching Gavin Huey and Digital Rev. Snapchick is ok but like Fro, find it hard to focus on what she's talking about.

I quite like him, for the moment but I can see myself getting anoyed of his 'way'. I get very distracted by Snapchick aswel except the distraction is in the video :eek: haha

Back