From DX to FX

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I have been shooting with a Nikon D300 for a while now and really fancy moving on to a full frame setup. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are of which camera to go to? It will be a used body only, lenses will follow. I would like to stick with Nikon, and my budget is between £600 and £750. Thanks.

A used D750

[edit] Peter just got in while I was typing :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I go out and about and shoot no particular 'genre', a bit of street, urban, people, portraits, architecture, etc, mainly just things that are pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I go out and about and shoot no particular 'genre', a bit of street, urban, people, portraits, architecture, etc, mainly just things that are pleasing to the eye.
What lenses do you already have?

At the moment, after selling a couple I have 50mm f1.8 and a sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM, so once i sell those two i will put the cash towards a new lens.

At the moment, after selling a couple I have 50mm f1.8 and a sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM, so once i sell those two i will put the cash towards a new lens.
Not sure about the sigma, but the 50mm will work well.

D700 although old now, is nigh on identical to the D300 in layout etc and still a good camera., Not sure if a D800 will be in budget. I went from D300, to D700 and then D810. Had a D750 for a while, but found it a little alien in my hands.

Hi paulie, can I ask in what respect you found it alien? Weight?, Button layout?, Operation? Thanks

Hi paulie, can I ask in what respect you found it alien? Weight?, Button layout?, Operation? Thanks

Yeah for me it was more the layout and muscle memory thing (even though I`ve moved to fuji now). Think of a D90 to D750 switch being more similar in button layout/ feel etc. Don`t get me wrong, the D750 is a great camera, but going the 300,700,route, I personally found it was one of those close but not the same kind of things, and eventually got the better of me, so went to a D810, and the feeling was back ... Just got too heavy for me lugging a ton of kit around ;)

A D760 rumoured for release in 2019 - if you waited until that was out the price of used 750s should come down... maybe??

D700 although old now, is nigh on identical to the D300 in layout etc and still a good camera., Not sure if a D800 will be in budget. I went from D300, to D700 and then D810. Had a D750 for a while, but found it a little alien in my hands.

You can easily get a D800 for about £700 now

The Nikon D810 is only just above your price bracket so worth a look, it is far better than the D800, I have both so able to do side by side evaluation. bye the bye the video side is a lot better as well
if you are anywhere near the south coast you are welcome to come try out both. I also have the D300

Last edited:
Much as I love my d800 for what I do, the d750 is a way better all rounder. Controls are slightly different but I don’t think a major consideration, it’s still all pretty familiar Nikon stuff.

After deep and long thought I have moved away from Nikon. I could not find the cash I needed spare for say a d750. My budget was a bit smaller than I anticipated, so I have gone with a bit older technology and got hold of a canon 5d mark ii, it's only got 4300 clicks through it, boxed in mint condition .

After deep and long thought I have moved away from Nikon. I could not find the cash I needed spare for say a d750. My budget was a bit smaller than I anticipated, so I have gone with a bit older technology and got hold of a canon 5d mark ii, it's only got 4300 clicks through it, boxed in mint condition .
Cool.
Are you going to change your forum name?:p

A d600 would have been a better alternative for less budget instead of switching system, I had one and it was better than people give it credit for

I would have tried to save that extra to get a never and in most respects better camera if I really wanted to go FF, Heck most modern APSC's will do as good as a 2009 FF

i would honestly say, change your lenses first and then the body so you get the full expectations

Though if at present the op has DX and is moving to FX how will that work?

I'd say D700 or D750. currently I have a D700 and am delighted with it after owning a D300s, the Bokeh etc. I was thinking of upgrading to a D750 once i can justify buying a Used version, love the idea of a moveable screen and Video - which I miss from the D300s

Yes I agree about having good lenses but it you're using a DX body you won't get the most out bokeh wise of wide angle wise compared to a Full Frame option.

Well after taking delivery of the 5d it's gone back, it was about as mint as a 20 year old pair of well worn socks. Scratches, a couple of really deep ones, a couple of dings, etc. Really bad condition. They never argued just put money straight back. So I am back to square one. After consideration sticking with Nikon, got my eye on a couple of D700's at a great price. Will keep updating as I go.

Well after taking delivery of the 5d it's gone back, it was about as mint as a 20 year old pair of well worn socks. Scratches, a couple of really deep ones, a couple of dings, etc. Really bad condition. They never argued just put money straight back. So I am back to square one. After consideration sticking with Nikon, got my eye on a couple of D700's at a great price. Will keep updating as I go.

Much simpler username edit too ;) Fond memories of my d700. Just does everything well (unless you like video!).

I would much rather a d600 for the double resolution and better ISO performance. The d700 sensor was great in its day but not in 2019 / 2020. Just my opinion though.

I would much rather a d600 for the double resolution and better ISO performance. The d700 sensor was great in its day but not in 2019 / 2020. Just my opinion though.
I was reading about D600's having some problems with oil on shutter ?? And dust ??

I was reading about D600's having some problems with oil on shutter ?? And dust ??

It was a problem when they were new, in the first few thousand shots a number of people had that problem.
I think oily d600`s don't exist today in the hands of good reputable dealers anyway.
Buy from a dearer who has 30 day quibble free returns and if there are any issues with anything at all send it back.

Not just your opinion - it's a fact. A D700 is still a lovely camera - fine if you're a romantic - and 12Mpx is fine for most purposes, but technology moves on in terms of noise & iso capabilty. And given the OP's stated purposes, he doesn't need tons of focus points. So yes, a D600 / D610 would fit the bill!

I like my D700 , hope you like yours , looks in nice cared for condition :nikon:

I am totally sick of this, went to pay for camera and it would not go through PayPal for some reason ? So messaged seller and told him the problem and he said, oh my PayPal is not working, if I message you my bank details you could do a bank transfer, err NO I don't think so. I have managed to shop for one and got a D700, boxed with all the bits, 6034 shutter count, mint as new for £440, so now I am happy. My next step is lenses, I have a 50mm f1.8, any recommendations ?? Especially as a walkabout lens. Will also be looking at something like a 70-200 f2.8 in either Nikon or sigma.

If you have the budget then Nikon 24-120 F4 otherwise the older 28-105 or a Tamron 28-75 f2.8.

Thanks for that kev, will have a look at them, especially the tamron 28-75

I am totally sick of this, went to pay for camera and it would not go through PayPal for some reason ? So messaged seller and told him the problem and he said, oh my PayPal is not working, if I message you my bank details you could do a bank transfer, err NO I don't think so. I have managed to shop for one and got a D700, boxed with all the bits, 6034 shutter count, mint as new for £440, so now I am happy. My next step is lenses, I have a 50mm f1.8, any recommendations ?? Especially as a walkabout lens. Will also be looking at something like a 70-200 f2.8 in either Nikon or sigma.
I'll be putting my Nikon 70 - 200 2.8 in the classified after Crimbo if it's of interest.

D700 arrived, stuck a 50 on, then looking at the top screen all I see is -E- , needless to say I went into panic mode..........try putting a cf card in numpty, lol. First ever fx camera I have owned, loving the viewfinder, and its absolute minty !!!!! Just waiting on a Nikon 24-85 VR to be able to get out and about.

Back