From the heavens

Love the light, however the image looks a little under exposed to me. Do like the sky also.

Thanks for sharing. Light like this never lasts long enough for me. I never tire of seeing this sort of light but I've never taken a photo of it that could be called well exposed. It's always underexposed or bleached out and needs work to make it look half decent. I'll be watching for any tips you get. :)

Great subject! Dramatic theatre!
The rendition is much too dark to really enjoy though,

I agree the foreground is too dark :)

But I wanted the emphasis to be on the streaks of light coming from the clouds - if I lightened the image, to me, during post processing the image lost it's appeal as the shafts of light became less dominant....

Feel free anyone to edit the image and see if you can improve the exposure balance....I'd be intrigued..

Very very quick edit.
+1

As you can see Jeff, in Ruth example, it is not the absolute tonal values that will
emphasize the streaks of light but their relative tonal values in the whole shot.

Love the anger in the clouds, I tried a minor tweak on Auto Levels in PS and it retained the overall darkness, increasing the blacks whilst reinforcing the sunlight streams through the clouds (similar to Ruth's version above). If you are reworking tonight; I would be tempted to clone out / darken the bright patch of water in the centre section in front of the sat down deer ?

As said above, great dramatic subject and thanks for sharing . :)

Hi Jeff, indeed one of those moments you where chuffed! you had the black box with you, so as you have not given a brief in #1, apart from the heavens, in Flickr, I'm asumming this was not a planned shoot etc, PS I too can never get enough of this light show when Mother Nnature turns up like this, not sure the RX100 was the instrument for the job to assist the landscape photographer on this outing lots of noise etc, I know a stable platfrom with filters would have nailed this?
Regards
kevin

Last edited:

Much better, cool!
If you could find a way to blend them seamlessly that could be an impressive take.

Very nice capture, loving the sky and the black and white factor :)

Very nicely processed, still retaining drama in the clouds as in the first version; along with the sunlight streams, but you also managed to extract more detail either side of the fence - both versions work for me......(y)

And just noticed in the revised version; you can see Santa's sled on the far right........................ :D

Back