Frozen on Catbells

That's beautiful! Must have been a bit of a climb to get up there, and it looks cold! ;)

That's a stunner that Stu (y)

I cant imagine how lethal those rocks where towards the summit of Catbells?? I came a cropper last time I was up there and the camera was cushioned from any fatal impact by my head!!!

Only one thing missing , Me not being there , Lovely image

Beautiful lighting, composition and execution.

Very ,very nice
Thanks very much

That's beautiful! Must have been a bit of a climb to get up there, and it looks cold! ;)
It's a bit of a climb but not too taxing to be honest, not much of a climb for the likes of @MattyW although any of these in the dark can be a bit tricky no matter how high - very cold though!

That's a stunner that Stu (y)

I cant imagine how lethal those rocks where towards the summit of Catbells?? I came a cropper last time I was up there and the camera was cushioned from any fatal impact by my head!!!
Yeah pretty lethal I'm going to have to invest in some better/more suitable winter gear for this cold weather stuff!

You're getting good at this eh mate! Saw this on Flickr and it won me over straight away
Cheers mate aye not bad for a rookie - hope you're well up there in the real cold!

Lovely shot. But I'd have really liked you to run to the end of the ridge and caught that pano of the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif.
Thanks Wayne - sadly it was one or the other, that light and snow is going nowhere though so I'm sure I'll get another go

Nice one Stuart I went to Buttermere but did consider catbells that morning.

Thanks Alf yep Buttemere crossed my mind but the sky looked a bit flat for lake stuff

I had been no N/S and it did not feel damp enough for an inversion and I did not feel like climbing a hill really

Well that was worth the walk, wasn't it? Another great shot.

Dave

Well that was worth the walk, wasn't it? Another great shot.

Dave
Cheers Dave

That foreground rock formation is amazing, even better with the frost on.
Thanks Tobers

Sorry to be a pain, but it looks like you have a sloping horizon on this one, stuart...... down to the right.
It's OK Jerry I think it's just the effect of the way derwentwater looks from on high, just about any shots from up there look similar, I know the camera was levelled up before the shot anyway. There may well be a touch of distortion with the camera pointing down slightly but even corrected the lake would never be 'flat' on the right hand side. If I took the horizon from that corner skiddaw in the distance would end up on a ski slope!

I was going by the snow line
The left hand side of the mountain range in the distance gets more of the light all day I'd guess that's why it's higher maybe? Anyway I know Thomas Heaton has a very similar shot to mine (not that I'm copying lol) on his flickr and the horizon looks pretty identical if that helps. Thanks for commenting though I hate sloping horizons!

I
The left hand side of the mountain range in the distance gets more of the light all day I'd guess that's why it's higher maybe? Anyway I know Thomas Heaton has a very similar shot to mine (not that I'm copying lol) on his flickr and the horizon looks pretty identical if that helps. Thanks for commenting though I hate sloping horizons!

I've had a look at the pic on Flickr you mention and the slope looks awful in comparison to yours!

It is a very nice image and a great composition. Dawn is utterly magical when snow is down.

My crit, and it isn't really crit is with such still water reflections down below I might have rather been down below than up high. Reflections are such a joy ;)

I also notice the sky appears darker than the reflection. I use grads and this is a common problem that arises with them. It isn't immediately obvious but the trained eye spots that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Every now and then an image comes along that all you can say is "wow". This is one, enough said! (y)

Love it mate
Cheers mate :)

I've had a look at the pic on Flickr you mention and the slope looks awful in comparison to yours!
Yeah it's just a quirk of the landscape, alot of slopes in different directions although found this on my phone to clear up: camera level, snow line still sloping to the right:D
back of cam.jpg

It is a very nice image and a great composition. Dawn is utterly magical when snow is down.

My crit, and it isn't really crit is with such still water reflections down below I might have rather been down below than up high. Reflections are such a joy ;)

I also notice the sky appears darker than the reflection. I use grads and this is a common problem that arises with them. It isn't immediately obvious but the trained eye spots that sort of thing.
Yep it's probably slightly darker than it should be at the top although the use of the polariser at an angle to saturate the blues in the top of the image probably isn't helping. I'd be aware of the need to make sure it's lighter in a 'reflection shot' at lake level however given in this shot the reflection is barely of any significance it seemed pretty pointless to lighten the blues in the sky given it's blue hour. As far as shooting reflections down below, they'd have been pretty disinteresting as the direction I'd have been shooting (towards the mountain I'm standing on) had no red hues in the sky or any significant amounts of snow on the hillside (this fell is only 450m high) given the colours and snow towards Skiddaw in the distance it was a no brainer really.

Every now and then an image comes along that all you can say is "wow". This is one, enough said! (y)
Cheers Dale (y)

Belter mate, foreground detail and great tones make this one of your very best.
Thanks Neil much appreciated (y)

Works for me Stuart. A fine shot indeed, lovely detail. No better place to be for sun rise (up a Mountain somewhere)(y)

I first saw this on Flickr - can't say much else other than excellent work. Must say you've come on amazingly well in the last few months especially with your processing. I'd honestly say you're one of the best around now, good work

Works for me Stuart. A fine shot indeed, lovely detail. No better place to be for sun rise (up a Mountain somewhere)(y)
Thanks Steve yep love being up high at sunrise - weather has turned warm here all the snow is now vanishing!

I first saw this on Flickr - can't say much else other than excellent work. Must say you've come on amazingly well in the last few months especially with your processing. I'd honestly say you're one of the best around now, good work
Thanks very much, the processing bit is definitely something I've got to grips with in the last 3 months or so - can really make or break a decent image for sure

Looks great to me. Love the composition
Thanks Richard (y)

I love landscapes shot in portrat and that one is a cracker ! Well done

Really nice Stuart.

It conveys that real calmness and utter feeling of quiet and isolation you get when you are actually standing still and set up pre dawn and the world is asleep beneath you. Well done on keeping the white of snow near white and at a brightness which lets them stand out but remain believable.

Dam it, I'm yet to climb Catbells, every time I plan it, either the weathers crap or something crops up. When I eventually do it, I'll be made up to come back with a picture like yours. nice work Stuart.

A great shot, cold and frosty but with some nice warm sky tones. I remember you had one with the first light too, I liked that one as well.

Fantastic image, Like this a lot. I have only 1 suggestion.... print it and print it large :)
you have some cracking work on your flickr feed.
+1 follower ;)

Back