Fuel costs

Messages
17,656
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else like me ,especially birders cut back on there travelling due to rising fuel costs . I find myself seeking out local hot spots more frequently these days rather than going a distance on a chance of a rarity . Even more so now diesel has hit the £2.00 a litre barrier
 
Not what you often here about it, but I am quite lucky to live in Basildon.

We have multiple country parks, RSPB & EWT sites, the Thames, Victorian forts all within a 25 mile radius. Train into London is only 30 minutes as well.
Plenty of coastline and wetlands around the county as well.

A little further afield, the Abberton Reservoir has had a resident Osprey for most of the summer.

Loads of photogenic towns as well Southend being one of my favourites, even above the quaint villages further north.

My local park has had Kingfishers this year, first time for a while. Still trying to get a good picture of the b****r, but I will persevere.

I work 2 days a week and my wife 3, so I can easily pop out for a few hours on the extra day she works and find somewhere local to go.

Yesterday we went on a fact finding tour further north, scouting out potential new living area. One thing I did notice, although it got the coast,
It also had less of the things I mentioned above.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2sDGKrd
 
Last edited:
People may cut back for a very short time, but it doesn't take long for them to revert. We heard all about how people were doing to stop travelling when fuel hit £1 a litre. (actually I can remember them saying that at £1 gallon, and who stopped drinking at £1 a pint like they said))

For the short term it's probably a good thing that people will be checking out their locality, looking at the areas we often tend to take for granted and dismiss.
 
Last edited:
I mostly go to local places anyway with 2 or 3 longer trips a year, things like the butterflies down south
We have an economical petrol car anyway , a Yaris so its not affecting what we do
 
I have to ask Mrs D as I don't have a license anymore
We have an EV thankfully, I don't expect the current price for diesel will reduce .
The full impact on diesel hasn't been felt yet,, I was reading somewhere that it could double!!!
Thanks to Chump
 
Last edited:
We are investigating these electric-assisted Tricycles for getting around locally instead of using our (diesel) cars. We have a great network of cycle paths and greenways around us, giving access to beaches and nature reserves, so it seems the wise and clever thing to do. At least for joggings. Not sure the dogs would agree though!!

A farmer friend up the road has recently bought a trotting pony to put in front of a trap, to drive around locally as he's expecting to lose his car licence soon.
 
Last edited:
Drive an electric car only costs me about £6 to do 300 miles :) it's better for the environment as well
Only if you have a home charge option - we looked at electric for my daughter (who is in rented student accommodation, electric is included, but with a high per-unit charge if they exceed the 'bundled' units) - public charging would have put the price on par with petrol.
 
We are investigating these electric-assisted Tricycles for getting around locally instead of using our (diesel) cars. We have a great network of cycle paths and greenways around us, giving access to beaches and nature reserves, so it seems the wise and clever thing to do. At least for joggings. Not sure the dogs would agree though!!

A farmer friend up the road has recently bought a trotting pony to put in front of a trap, to drive around locally as he's expecting to lose his car licence soon.
Adopt and adapt adeptly! (y)
 
Back
Top