Fuji 100 - 400 extending...

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
After having the 100-400 for about 3 months, I finally decided to try it out, 2 things I noticed straight away were:

When holding my XT-3 downwards the lends extends fully, I know there is a lock function, but is this normal?

Secondly, I have noticed a small amount of movement in the mount when zooming, not much, but there is a noticeable click when zooming in and out at at the mount of the camera, again, is this normal?

Thanks guys.

I had one for a while, can't recall it ever extending on it's own. Very small amount of movement in the mount is normal but I mean very small.

I had one for a while, can't recall it ever extending on it's own. Very small amount of movement in the mount is normal but I mean very small.
When I say movement, it is just a click, probably well under a mm, but you can feel / hear it if you know what I mean.

Brilliant lens to 300 (decent with extender at that length)- awful at 400

Brilliant lens to 300 (decent with extender at that length)- awful at 400
I have no complaints with mine even when using 1.4x or 2x at full length I Not heard of any complaints from other users that I know shooting at 400mm plus ?
Oh and zoom creep isn't unheard of with a lot of zooms hence a lot now fit lock to them.

Last edited:
After having the 100-400 for about 3 months, I finally decided to try it out, 2 things I noticed straight away were:

When holding my XT-3 downwards the lends extends fully, I know there is a lock function, but is this normal?

Mine doesn't do that. But there is a reason it has a lock button.

Could be it depends on how much use its gotten, maybe the zoom ring gets softer with use. Mine's pretty unused.

Secondly, I have noticed a small amount of movement in the mount when zooming, not much, but there is a noticeable click when zooming in and out at at the mount of the camera, again, is this normal?

Mine does this as well. I tested out the lens by clicking it one way or the other and taking pictures, and couldn't notice any difference. I guess its OK to have a little bit of play in the mount.

Mine doesn't do that. But there is a reason it has a lock button.

Could be it depends on how much use its gotten, maybe the zoom ring gets softer with use. Mine's pretty unused.

Mine does this as well. I tested out the lens by clicking it one way or the other and taking pictures, and couldn't notice any difference. I guess its OK to have a little bit of play in the mount.

Mine is brand new, this is the first time I have used it.It only does it when pointed fully up or down.

I figured it would be normal for a little play in the mount.

I have no complaints with mine even when using 1.4x or 2x at full length I Not heard of any complaints from other users that I know shooting at 400mm plus ?
Oh and zoom creep isn't unheard of with a lot of zooms hence a lot now fit lock to them.
400mm is fine, I don't see any drop in quality

Both the lens bayonet and the body bayonet are manufactured to +/- tolerances. If the male and female bayonet elements are at the far end of their tolerances in opposite directions, you are going to get some looseness. Canon explained this problem to me a few years ago after experiencing a similar looseness problem with a new full-frame 5D Mark II body and EF 100-400 Mark I lens. There was no looseness with my two Canon 7D bodies or teleconverters. Because it was considered to be within tolerance, they did not offer to fix it in warranty. After the warranty lapsed, I had a camera repair shop in New York perform trial-and-error testing with multiple body mounts until they found a good match and had them replace the body bayonet mount.

Regarding the sharpness of the XF 100-400mm, I have found my copy to be sharp throughout its zoom range with and without teleconverters. This lens is sharper than my old Canon 100-400mm Mark I. With any teleconverter, you can experience some loss of sharpness due to atmospheric haze depending on the angle of the sun in relation to your subject, and this can be remedied to a large extent using a Skylight 1A (more haze reduction than a UV filter) or Skylight 1B filter (more haze reduction than a Skylight 1A filter).

Back