Fuji Pro 800Z - How Grainy?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
And how does it compare to Superia Xtra 800?

Thinking it may well be the answer to railway shots on rainy days like Saturday's.

May well be worth stocking up on it from 7Dayshop before it becomes no more.

I used some of it over Christmas for taking pictures indoors and it didn't seem too grainy although I suppose it depends how big you want to print it. With the 6"x4" prints there was almost no grain visible, with a 4000 dpi scan and no grain reduction however grain is plainly visible on my 15" laptop monitor with the picture measuring about 11" wide, but its not intrusive grain, it is pretty fine.

BTW, so far in the UK at least there has been no announcment of 800Z or any C-41 films (except Reala in 35mm) being discontinued. 800Z was actually due to be discontinued in late 2009 but Fuji changed its mind after a backlash by photographers. I'll email them tomorrow and ask, they were very helpful when I asked about Reala in 35mm being discontinued last year.

yep. Grain is visible, but it's real nice grain. It's definitely worth stocking up while it's @ nice price.
Here's one, but as always, you have to factor in development technique, scanner and photographer.
Scan2014.jpg
No post processing applied other than what the scanner did!

I got an email back from Fuji Professional - apparently 800Z is discontinued in all formats and will only be around whilst stocks last. Interestingly however, despite all the internet rumour, according to the PDF of their current film lineup, 800Z is the only C-41 film thats gone. Neopan 1600 is still listed as well so I assume that its not been discontinued.

Theres still Portra 800 as an 800 speed film which I have not tried but is supposed to be similar to 800Z. Hopefully Kodak will release an updated version like they have with Portra 400 and 160. The new Portra 400 actually works fine with 1 stop underexposure and normal processing so thats another option.

Theres still Portra 800 as an 800 speed film which I have not tried but is supposed to be similar to 800Z. Hopefully Kodak will release an updated version like they have with Portra 400 and 160. The new Portra 400 actually works fine with 1 stop underexposure and normal processing so thats another option.

That's useful to know, still Porta is horrendously expensive comapred to Fuji. I'll se how much I can cram in a freezer!

yep. Grain is visible, but it's real nice grain. It's definitely worth stocking up while it's @ nice price.
Here's one, but as always, you have to factor in development technique, scanner and photographer.
Scan2014.jpg
No post processing applied other than what the scanner did!

That's a decent show there, I always worry when manufacturers use terms like fine grain for it's speed, sounds like a cop out for it's actually really grainy!

FWIW the images I most want to emulate in Rail photography were by John R. Jones in 1991, I have no idea what the film is, but it has really vibrant reds and greens but manages to look incredibly well balanced. Leitz, 1/125 F2 and ASA200 are mentioned but that's as close to Exif data as I can get! :LOL:

The book is around 8x10 format and the grain is visible but not distracting at full page spreads.

That's a decent show there, I always worry when manufacturers use terms like fine grain for it's speed, sounds like a cop out for it's actually really grainy!

It always reminds me of the phrase "You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Lass!" :LOL:

It's here and theres now a roll in the camera - of course what's happening now? The Sun's coming out!

Back