Fuji S5 best lens ...

Edit My Images
No
Just bought a new Fuji S5 Pro at the current bargain price it is ... and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent lens to compliment it up to the £300 (ish) mark. Would need a wide zoom if poss ... around 18mm to around 100mm (ish) .. doesnt have to be Nikon but would prefer one. I have a Nikon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 currently that came with my Nikon D80 but find it a little lacking on clarity. VR would also be of benefit if a lens could be had within the price i mention.

thanks... :)

Last edited:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? A bit short, I know, but it's a great lens for just over £200, or less (the older non af motor version is apparently better than the new one) secondhand, or even the new Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6G ED DX VR, it's around your budget level too, no idea what it's like though :shrug:

How do you like the S5, I'm eyeing them up at the Fuji shop and wondering if I can find a discount code......

Last edited:
Running mine at the moment with the 17-55 2.8 or the 18-70.
Not the 50mm though as for some reason they won't play together.

The Tamron 17-50 gives excellent results, the Sigma 17-70 performs superbly too. Neither are quite as long as you wanted, but you gain optically with both.

If you are looking for a VR lens, the 16-85 VR also works well on the S5 Pro, although the results are sharper and more pleasing on a D60 with that lens.

The S5 Pro needs good glass, its got a strong AA filter.

The Nikkor 18-105 VR is supposed to be good, I don't know of anyone who has got the lens, or used it on an S5 Pro though!

Thanks for all the good info there lads ... appreciated. Gives me something to go on when i visit the local dealer to have a play .. also someone recommended the Nikon 18-200mm VR ... anyone here tried this particular lens ?

also someone recommended the Nikon 18-200mm VR ... anyone here tried this particular lens ?

As I said, the S5 Pro needs good glass. Fuji do not recommend this lens, they say its too soft. I agree.

Definitely do not put a 18-200 VR on an S5 Pro, you really do need to put good lenses on the S5 Pro.

I have some test shots up on DPReview (same user name)...save your money.

I can recommend the following first hand, as providing excellent IQ.

Tokina 12-24 f/4 (shines on the S5, superb for landscape)
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (shines on the S5, superb for landscape)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Nikkor 35/2 AF-D (superb colours)
Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX (works fine, but get the Tamron 17-50)
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 (a real sleeper lens)
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro
Nikkor 16-85 VR
Nikkor 18-70 DX
Nikkor 28-105 f/3.5-f4.5 AF-D (superb lens, no ones heard of it)
Nikkor 70-200 VR (superb on the S5 Pro)
Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S (superb on the S5 Pro)
Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 VR (superb on the S5 Pro)

I definately recommend you have a look at the Fuji DSLR group on DPR, lots of us users there, and good info:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020

Last edited:
I'll mention the 17-70mm Sigma too. It's reasonably lightweight, very sharp, and not too expensive.

The focal length is ideal as a carry round all day lens.

thanks for the lens recommendations lads ......... il look into them for my S5

Anyone tried the Sigma 10-20mm on the fuji S5 .... any good ? .. the results ive seem have been pretty impressive !

Anyone tried the Sigma 10-20mm on the fuji S5 .... any good ? .. the results ive seem have been pretty impressive !

Its OK. The Tokina 12-24 is a better choice on the S5 Pro. I've tried both.

If I can find space on my ftp site I could probably upload some RAF from the 12-24 and 10-20.

Because the 12-24 is sharper and more contrast-y it helps to counteract the strong AA filter on the S5 Pro.

As I said, the S5 Pro needs good glass. Fuji do not recommend this lens, they say its too soft. I agree.

Definitely do not put a 18-200 VR on an S5 Pro, you really do need to put good lenses on the S5 Pro.

I'd go along with the good glass statement. Putting aside the limitations imposed by my own (lack of) ability, when I first used the 58/1.4 Nokton SL II I found the S5 Pro 'woke-up' to a great extent. While this lens doesn't fit the needs of the OP, I believe it does illustrate that certain types of quality glass can definitely help make the most of the camera.

Its OK. The Tokina 12-24 is a better choice on the S5 Pro. I've tried both.

If I can find space on my ftp site I could probably upload some RAF from the 12-24 and 10-20.

Because the 12-24 is sharper and more contrast-y it helps to counteract the strong AA filter on the S5 Pro.

thanks again for the advice lads .. yes it would be good to see some comparison shots if possible .. :)

also someone recommended the Nikon 18-200mm VR ... anyone here tried this particular lens ?

Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro
Nikkor 16-85 VR
Nikkor 18-70 DX

I definately recommend you have a look at the Fuji DSLR group on DPR, lots of us users there, and good info:

Some quality information there - thanks PD. S5 will be my backup and this info will save me hours/days/weeks of searching. Appreciated.

Puddleduck would you say the nikkor 24-70 2.8 is any good on the S5. (sorry to impose on the thread but thought would ask here rather than make another thread:D)

Puddleduck would you say the nikkor 24-70 2.8 is any good on the S5. (sorry to impose on the thread but thought would ask here rather than make another thread:D)

Sorry, I don't think I ever tried the combination!

I don't have the lens anymore to try I'm afraid, found it a bit big tbh!

Sorry, I don't think I ever tried the combination!

I don't have the lens anymore to try I'm afraid, found it a bit big tbh!

No worries mate, thanks for replying(y) Was a little curious as my friend wants my D80 and I have thought about the S5 so would lose little money in the change of camera + I am saving for the 24-70, just thinking whats the best combination.

out of interest im also after a wide Zoom for my D3 ... so would there be a decent lens worth getting that is Full frame ... say 12mm + zoom that i could use on the D3 (full frame) and also on the S5 ( cropped) ... would save me getting 2 lenses ..! .. just a thought :)

Well I got the Nikkor 17-35 and its fab on both the S5 Pro and the D700.

The only full frame lens I can think of that a genuine 12mm on FF is the Sigma 12-24 - never seen one in the flesh.

Getting really good full frame lenses for a D3 or D700 is pretty pricey - I think there is certain merit in sticking to a Tokina 12-24 for the w-i-d-e stuff in many ways. To get that sort of coverage on a D3, you need the 17-35 minimum and its 3x the price.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro
Nikkor 16-85 VR
Nikkor 18-70 DX

Puddleduck how good is the 28-105 I saw one went for £80 in ebay last week. If another comes up I am thinking of adding this to my Tamron 17-50, Nikon 35mm F2 and my Nikon 70-300 VR.

Another +1 for the tamron 17-50 on the S5... really great results, as is said infinite times on the net, the lens is a hell of a bargain because it kicks some serious butt for not very much money compared to the nikon equivalent.

other ones you might want to look at, as other people have said, you can get the nikon 18-70 for 100-130ish on forums classifieds and it's meant to be a really good lens.

Just to add to puddleduck's list, the sigma 70-200 f2.8 performs (imo) very well indeed on the s5 too, though I don't go around shooting focus test charts or anything to 'confirm' it mind.

Puddleduck how good is the 28-105 I saw one went for £80 in ebay last week.

28-105 on the S5 Pro, all JPEG out-of-the-camera (no PP etc)

2274972764_b102445205_o.jpg

2260410585_084ac48efb_o.jpg

2272046132_6ece0cd83f_o.jpg

2260679393_ebef63d713_o.jpg

Excellent lens for any Nikon camera, works nicely on the S5 Pro, very sharp I found.

Ooh, ooh, please sir! Please sir! I have! I have!

I've one sitting in my camera cupboard as I type, my first ever Nikkor (along with a 70-300mm G) and I don't think I'll ever be persuaded to part form it. I do feel a bit guilty that I don't use it all that much though.

Ooh, ooh, please sir! Please sir! I have! I have!

I've one sitting in my camera cupboard as I type, my first ever Nikkor (along with a 70-300mm G) and I don't think I'll ever be persuaded to part form it. I do feel a bit guilty that I don't use it all that much though.

Its a great lens, but because its not buzz word compliant (VR, AF-S, nano and other things have that have zero to do with making pictures) its a lens that is unloved by most - however its very nice.

Give it an airing :)

Its a great lens, but because its not buzz word compliant (VR, AF-S, nano and other things have that have zero to do with making pictures) its a lens that is unloved by most - however its very nice.

Give it an airing :)

I just took it out of my cupboard actually. :LOL:

Just looking at it took me back to Mongolia shooting on my F80 :love:

I'll give it an airing this weekend.

28-105 on the S5 Pro, all JPEG out-of-the-camera (no PP etc)

2274972764_b102445205_o.jpg

2260410585_084ac48efb_o.jpg

2272046132_6ece0cd83f_o.jpg

2260679393_ebef63d713_o.jpg

Excellent lens for any Nikon camera, works nicely on the S5 Pro, very sharp I found.

Stunning pictures especially the last one, thanks for the upload. I am going to keep a lookout.

I normaly shoot RAW from the S5 but am interested to know what S5 settings you use for JPEG?

Last edited:
Hi
I have an S5, and I am looking for a couple of lenses that fully work with all the functions of the camera. A Tokina 16.5 - 135 DX has been suggested to give me a good range, and I am looking for good suggestions for a lens that goes up to 300.
regards
John

Hi
I have an S5, and I am looking for a couple of lenses that fully work with all the functions of the camera. A Tokina 16.5 - 135 DX has been suggested to give me a good range, and I am looking for good suggestions for a lens that goes up to 300.
regards
John

The Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S is superb on the S5 Pro.

I can't recall ever using the 70-300 VR on the S5 Pro but that lens usually gives good results.

Can't comment on that Tokina, never heard of it, seen it or used it.

out of interest im also after a wide Zoom for my D3 ... so would there be a decent lens worth getting that is Full frame ... say 12mm + zoom that i could use on the D3 (full frame) and also on the S5 ( cropped) ... would save me getting 2 lenses ..! .. just a thought :)

Well I got the Nikkor 17-35 and its fab on both the S5 Pro and the D700.

The only full frame lens I can think of that a genuine 12mm on FF is the Sigma 12-24 - never seen one in the flesh.

Getting really good full frame lenses for a D3 or D700 is pretty pricey - I think there is certain merit in sticking to a Tokina 12-24 for the w-i-d-e stuff in many ways. To get that sort of coverage on a D3, you need the 17-35 minimum and its 3x the price.

Apart from the rather expensive (never used one so can't comment on image quality, handling etc) Nikkor 14-24, pretty much the only option for FF super wideness is the 12-24 Sigma (itself, not cheap but compared to the Nikkor...) which I do have. Quite big and weighty due to all the width but very well corrected for straightness of lines even near the edges at both extremes. A little susceptible to flare due to the angle of view - it's not always easy to keep a direct light source off the front element. Not ideal if you use filters a lot - there's no filter thread on the lens (there's one in the bucket cap that allows filter use when the lens is used on a Dx body - never tried it though) but a slot to accept gels is there behind the rear element, so for solid NDs and other coloured (B&W effect) filters, you do have a filtration option. It's also apparently possible to bodge filters onto the front using blu-tack or similar on the petals of the built in hood. Some people have reported bad copies of the lens but I must have been lucky - mines as close to perfect as any.

Back