Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I've just discovered that the lens hood on the 18-55 lens is very loose when 'locked' into position. It rattles and wobbles about. I'm surprised they have engineered the lens so well and then stuck a crap bit of plastic on the end. Still, excellent overall value.
Well, my 18-55 is new and the lens hood is a tight fit - are you sure you have put it on correctly?

If it was my lad I'd be asking 'why did he want a Fuji' in particular? If he can justify the reasoning I'd then be clearer about a particular model that suits his need (and more prepared to stick my hand in my pocket if need be). Otherwise, I'd take him to a good camera store and get him to look and feel a range of equipment. If there was any chance photography was going to be a job (which I would have though would have been evident before 16) I'd probably be more inclined to stick with more traditional brands like Nikon or Canon in preparation for the systems that tend to be set up in colleges for photography.

This is very valid

I bought my step daughter a Canon 1100d when she started A level photography (I still had a Canon DSLR at the time). It had all the functions she needed for the course and she shot everything with kit 18-55 and nifty fifty. 30k actuations later it's still going strong!!!

If there was any chance photography was going to be a job (which I would have though would have been evident before 16)
I'm 42 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I think deciding on a career by 16 went out of fashion about 1972.

Oh and BTW - the XE2 + 18-55 is now down to £479 at Mathers. That even makes the Fuji Refurb ones look a bit pricey

I'm 42 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I think deciding on a career by 16 went out of fashion about 1972.

I agree, but usually your kids show some leaning towards particular directions in life and need to be thinking about it for FE or a job even if that changes later.

Well, my 18-55 is new and the lens hood is a tight fit - are you sure you have put it on correctly?

Err, yes :) . I've discovered that its a common problem. Poor quality control with the lens hoods for this particular lens. Numerous posts about it on t'interweb

It seems to be reasonably tight immediately before being turned fully in to the locked position but there is a risk it may fall off if not fully locked in. Too much play when locked though. Very strange

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I currently own an XE-2 and the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2.

I was thinking of either adding the 35 1.4 or the 35 F2. Has anyone owned both, and what are your thoughts and opinions about build and performance?

I have noticed the 35 f2, being a weather sealed one and newer, is cheaper than the old 35 1.4?

I was also contemplating on a zoom. It seems I have two routes with this option too. 18-55 and 55-200 option. Or the 18-135 weather sealed lens. Anyone own both these lenses and can give me opinion on build and performance? Thanks in advance.

Err, yes :) . I've discovered that its a common problem. Poor quality control with the lens hoods for this particular lens. Numerous posts about it on t'interweb

It seems to be reasonably tight immediately before being turned fully in to the locked position but there is a risk it may fall off if not fully locked in. Too much play when locked though. Very strange
OK :) It was just a thought as mine is quite tight to put on and even tighter to turn - so much so that I wasn't turning it enough initially.
Cheers

Hi guys,

I currently own an XE-2 and the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2.

I was thinking of either adding the 35 1.4 or the 35 F2. Has anyone owned both, and what are your thoughts and opinions about build and performance?

I have noticed the 35 f2, being a weather sealed one and newer, is cheaper than the old 35 1.4?

I was also contemplating on a zoom. It seems I have two routes with this option too. 18-55 and 55-200 option. Or the 18-135 weather sealed lens. Anyone own both these lenses and can give me opinion on build and performance? Thanks in advance.

@Barrysprout has owned both 35mm's

Your X-E2 is not weather sealed so I wouldn't get too excited about WR being a priority.

If you get a 35mm you might want to consider adding the 14mm rather than a zoom as that will give you good coverage between 14mm and 56mm

I have both the 18-55 and 18-135, the former is built better and probably optically sharper however the 135 has better OIS and obviously a bigger range. However it is quite a big lend and not as well balanced on an X-E2

Don't discount the 50-230 for longer reach, this is very good optically, and the lower cost plastic body makes it a bargain s/h buy

But..... None of these lenses are as sharp as the 23 and 56, though the 14mm is close. I've not owned the 16mm but a lot of people say that is good as well.

Does that help??

OK :) It was just a thought as mine is quite tight to put on and even tighter to turn - so much so that I wasn't turning it enough initially.
Cheers

Thank you. Mine seems to tighten as I put it on then loosen off as soon as it's in the locked position. Luck of the draw I suppose but have to say it isn't a huge issue. Cheers |:|)

If it was my lad I'd be asking 'why did he want a Fuji' in particular? If he can justify the reasoning I'd then be clearer about a particular model that suits his need (and more prepared to stick my hand in my pocket if need be). Otherwise, I'd take him to a good camera store and get him to look and feel a range of equipment. If there was any chance photography was going to be a job (which I would have though would have been evident before 16) I'd probably be more inclined to stick with more traditional brands like Nikon or Canon in preparation for the systems that tend to be set up in colleges/workplaces for photography.
On the other hand, why learn on gear that will be effectively legacy by the time they're qualified? Mirrors will be obsolete in < 5 years.

@Barrysprout has owned both 35mm's

Your X-E2 is not weather sealed so I wouldn't get too excited about WR being a priority.

If you get a 35mm you might want to consider adding the 14mm rather than a zoom as that will give you good coverage between 14mm and 56mm

I have both the 18-55 and 18-135, the former is built better and probably optically sharper however the 135 has better OIS and obviously a bigger range. However it is quite a big lend and not as well balanced on an X-E2

Don't discount the 50-230 for longer reach, this is very good optically, and the lower cost plastic body makes it a bargain s/h buy

But..... None of these lenses are as sharp as the 23 and 56, though the 14mm is close. I've not owned the 16mm but a lot of people say that is good as well.

Does that help??

Thanks! I was thinking of the 35 f2 because - 1: it's cheaper 2: it's WR (in case I do upgrade to the X-T1 at a later date). I was more concerned whether or not there was any other trade-off, other than it being an f2 rather than 1.4?

I don't really use the wide end all that much, hence only having the 23 and 56. I was seriously thinking of selling the 23 and 56, and getting a 35 (the f2 or the 1.4), then to cover the wider and longer ends, both of which I don't use all too often, I would use a zoom (either the 18-55, or the 18-135).

Are all the zooms made of plastic? Is the 35 f2 made of plastic?

Thanks! I was thinking of the 35 f2 because - 1: it's cheaper 2: it's WR (in case I do upgrade to the X-T1 at a later date). I was more concerned whether or not there was any other trade-off, other than it being an f2 rather than 1.4?

I don't really use the wide end all that much, hence only having the 23 and 56. I was seriously thinking of selling the 23 and 56, and getting a 35 (the f2 or the 1.4), then to cover the wider and longer ends, both of which I don't use all too often, I would use a zoom (either the 18-55, or the 18-135).

The 35 1.4 is better optically.

Only 16-50 and 50-230 are plastic bodied, all other Fuji lenses are metal bodied

Wait for @Barrysprout to reply about the 35s, I only have used the 1.4, s/h 1.4 is slightly less than new f2

IMO the 23 and 56 are the best two primes that Fuji make, and almost certainly the sharpest, personally I would think long and hard about parting with them

Only 16-50 and 50-230 are plastic bodied, all other Fuji lenses are metal bodied

Wait for @Barrysprout to reply about the 35s, I only have used the 1.4, s/h 1.4 is slightly less than new f2

IMO the 23 and 56 are the best two primes that Fuji make, and almost certainly the sharpest, personally I would think long and hard about parting with them

Thanks again, I am quite surprised. For the price of these lenses, being metal bodied is quite impressive. Nikon/Canon equivalents are around same price and all plastic. So the 18-55 and 18-135 are also made of metal?

I didn't know the 23 and 56 were so highly regarded. This is my first experience owning Fuji gear. I have come from a Nikon/Canon/Sony background. I only got these two lenses as it suited me, as I was used to 35-85 focal length on full frame.

if you are considering the 35mm Ray it's a matter of which features are most important. The f1.4 is a useful wide aperture and optically marginally superior lens. It's slower to autofocus and has a noisier mechanism (Google these things to read up). The f2 is a lovely lens, I just got one a couple of weeks back. Very quiet and quick to focus on my XE2. I'm not at all disappointed optically . The 23mm and 56mm set the benchmark. I've never owned either but am considering the former.

Thinking of selling mine now xe2 and 35mmf2 though I love them I'm finding for my photography they're just not getting used, if anyone interested , will be putting in classifieds soon

if you are considering the 35mm Ray it's a matter of which features are most important. The f1.4 is a useful wide aperture and optically marginally superior lens. It's slower to autofocus and has a noisier mechanism (Google these things to read up). The f2 is a lovely lens, I just got one a couple of weeks back. Very quiet and quick to focus on my XE2. I'm not at all disappointed optically . The 23mm and 56mm set the benchmark. I've never owned either but am considering the former.

Thanks for the reply, I think with that information I'm leaning more towards the 35 f2. Quieter and faster to focus definitely matters to me. Although realistically, I don't know how fast, "fast" is, if that makes sense? As the 23 and 56 are the only 2 lenses that I have owned from Fuji, I have nothing to compare it to in terms of speed with other lenses in Fuji's range.

As for the zoom, the 2.8-4 of the 18-55 is very tempting. As it is included as a kit lens, I didn't expect it to be that way. I thought it would have been a 3.5-5.6 lens.

I have used Visible Dust Swabs and solution for years.

I have a box of Visible Dust Swabs for DSLR sensor 1.5x-1.6x and a box of Visible Dust Corner Swab for DSLR sensor, and some fluid

They have newer shaped products now http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=451 and http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=409

WEX sell them amongst others.

I'm not a fan of blowers/butterflys etc as I think that just tends to move the problem around rather than remove it!!!
Ok bought some visible dust swabs and looking to clean the sensor. looking at vids online it seems you need to use a blower on the sensor first. Did you use one?

Ok bought some visible dust swabs and looking to clean the sensor. looking at vids online it seems you need to use a blower on the sensor first. Did you use one?

Nope, not a fan of them. I work in industrial machine vision and have cleaned hundreds of sensors over the years, in my mind, all a blower does is move the dirt/dust somewhere else, where it is likely to fall back onto the sensor at the most in-opportune moment!

Nope, not a fan of them. I work in industrial machine vision and have cleaned hundreds of sensors over the years, in my mind, all a blower does is move the dirt/dust somewhere else, where it is likely to fall back onto the sensor at the most in-opportune moment!
Thanks fella

Gonna give it a go now :)

I'
I was just coming here to post... If anyone is looking to sell their X-E2/18-55 give us a heads up ;)
I'm thinking of putting my xe2 and 18mm up in the classifieds, looking to go back to a X-T1, I miss the viewfinder

Last edited:
What a piece of cake that was, sensor looks spotless, thanks for your help (y)

Before

After

Ok I know its not the most scientific of tests but I'm pleased with the results

Last edited:
I'

I'm thinking of putting my xe2 and 18mm up in the classifieds, looking to go back to a X-T1, I miss the viewfinder

If matt is looking for the zoom and yours is the 18mm prime I'd be interested. Just started a wanted thread today for one.

I have a question about the XE-1. Forgive me if this has already been discussed. When I take my SD card out of the camera to download the images to my MacBook, it gives me an 'image reading' error. Surely I shouldn't have to keep formatting the card in the camera after every download? Anybody else had this problem and if so did you every rectify the problem?

@twhite87 I have never had any issues with my XE-1 and using a sd card reader with multiple card brands.

Is it just one dodgy mem card or do all of your cards do the same thing ?

@twhite87 I have never had any issues with my XE-1 and using a sd card reader with multiple card brands.

Is it just one dodgy mem card or do all of your cards do the same thing ?

They all do it. Sandisk and lexar.

Thanks to Jakeblu will have a nice wee X-E2 pretty soon :) Now just need a lens... If anyone is thinking of moving on a 16-50 give us a shout! (Seemed to work the last time haha)

Since I installed the latest firmware on my XE2 i can no longer find the "Movie Mode". Anyone any ideas?
Its automatically on the FN button that used to do the iso. You can move assign it to a different one, which is what I did.

Back