Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

How many shots do you get out of it? If you get anything like 300-350 don't expect much more than that.

Switch off the Quick Start Up, reduce the LCD brightness and don't review pictures for too long or too often. Buy a couple of extra third party batteries and have them fully charged with you. That is 1000 pictures there plenty for most non-pro purposes.

Thanks getting about 300 shots,brought a couple of extra battery :)

Another shot here with the canon FD 70-210 f4, this time using the macro function:

I'm really enjoying using these focal lengths, I'm saving up to get the fuji 50-200mm but its going to be a long time before I can afford it.

Much better results than my earlier attempts, a pair of house sparrows:

Sparrows-1.jpg

Hi, I hope that you can help me out, I'm seriously tempted to ditch my D600 setup (24-70, 70-200, 105, 50) in favour of an X-E1 due to size and portability, has anybody already done this? I understand that the updated firmware has improved the AF quite a bit (but understandably not to DSLR standards) which I think I could live with. I mainly shoot landscapes and some portrait/street stuff, but have also played with off camera flash/strobist work, could I get some YN603 or equivalents for the Fuji?

What about an intervalometer for time lapse/star trail work?

I'm also in a bit of a quqndry re. lenses, I understand that the kit is pretty good, so what should I choose to go with it? The 35 seems an obvious choice, but I'd like something a little wider to replace my beloved X100.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Aled

Not sure about everything else but there is a lens roadmap.

You can get the 18mm although it is apparently one of the weaker offerings, there is the 27mm which will give you similar sized package to your X100 but it is slower (f2.8) and not as wide. An 23mm is coming soon which is very close in focal length and faster (F1.4) but it is much bigger and I expect it to be more expensive than you will get for your X100 so maybe keep that?

Currently to get something wider than 18 you need to splurge for the 14mm (which is a great lens but is expensive), alternatively wait for the 10-24 near the beginning of this year.

Nothing on the long end as fast as your 70-200 although the 18-55 is a great piece of kit.

You are trading fast apertures for portability unfortunately which is not an easy choice. I am keeping my K-5 with the 50-135 f2.8 cause I don't see Fuji making something like it for the X series any time soon. Even if they did I am not sure I'd bother as what's the point of getting a 300gr camera and sticking on it a lens that is 3 times the weight?

I love the portability, just got the 35mm today from a guy on here selling it and it is really amazing having such a high quality camera in such a small package!

Also keep in mind that the IS on the Fuji lenses is really really good so to an extend it compensates for the slower apertures on the zooms.

Hi, I hope that you can help me out, I'm seriously tempted to ditch my D600 setup (24-70, 70-200, 105, 50) in favour of an X-E1 due to size and portability, has anybody already done this? I understand that the updated firmware has improved the AF quite a bit (but understandably not to DSLR standards) which I think I could live with. I mainly shoot landscapes and some portrait/street stuff, but have also played with off camera flash/strobist work, could I get some YN603 or equivalents for the Fuji?

I'm also in a bit of a quqndry re. lenses, I understand that the kit is pretty good, so what should I choose to go with it? The 35 seems an obvious choice, but I'd like something a little wider to replace my beloved X100.

Aled

Hi, First of all the X-E1 is an awsome piece of kit. The kit zoom is a superb lens and with the latest firmware is very good on auto focus speed and has been improved considerably in low light (it will not quite match the speed of focus of your D600 though).

The 55-200mm is also a superb lens even using it wide open the images are extreemly good and the image stabilisation works very well as does the focus speed so no problems there. It's every bit as good as any similar Nikon lens that I have used on my D800.

The 14mm is also superb, you would not be dissapointed in the slightest with this lens.

With the correct adaptor you can use all of your Nikon lenses on the X-E1 with very good results. Of course you would only be able to use them in manual focus, aperture priority and manual mode. Most adaptors only allow you to use lenses with an aperture ring but I understand there are adaptors about that have some electrical contacts that enable you to use lenses without aperture rings.

Hope this helps.

Aled

I have used an intervalmeter for this. The only down side is that it takes 1 second to respond to the intervalometer, so whatever timing you want to set, you have to add 1 second more. Could also be just my interalometer! The battery life for the X-E1 is not as high as DSLRs, so you might need more batteries if you are gonna do star trailing for the entire night.

From your list of nikon kit, get a 18-55, 35 f1.4 and the 55-200 should pretty much cover the range you have on your DSLR. You can keep your 105 and use it with a Nikon G adaptor if it is a G lens. Rumors are they are developing more telephoto lenses, so I am looking forward to a 85 or 105mm prime. Am patiently waiting for the 10-24 lens to be out in December!

The AF speed has improved after the latest 2.0 firmware update. I am really satisfied with the AF now!

Here is an image using the nikon 105 f2.5 with peak focusing @ ISO 3200

1001558_10151837180130817_1362108166_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice guys, it seems that you've confirmed my thoughts, both zooms and the 35 would fit with what I have now. I'm also considering the 14mm as just going as wide as 18 would limit my landscape shooting somewhat (and the 14 is very very good by all accounts).

So what about macro? Do I stick with the Nikon 105 or is there a cheaper legacy lens that I could use in manual focus?

Aled

I ditched my Canon 50D with L glass to pick up the X-E1 due to weight/back issues. I was worried about losing the 70-200 f2.8 and having nothing to replace it with (at the time).

I ended up buying the X-E1 + kit zoom as well as the 35mm and the 14mm. I intend to pick up the 55-200 at some point as well as the 23mm when it lands. That 14mm though is just forcing me to take landscape shots all the time. I'm actually enjoying myself pressing the shutter. Even the "kit" zoom works well.

Macro-wise, the 60mm is pretty good, but the general consensus (based on what I've read) is that because AF isn't massively important, using legacy glass and an adapter will do the trick just fine. You can read more about this on the Fuji x forum here. Consider a Nikon adapter and just keep your 105?

There are a LOT of threads from DSLR users who've downgraded on the forum linked above. Most are happy with their decision.

Ian.

I ditched my Canon 50D with L glass to pick up the X-E1 due to weight/back issues. I was worried about losing the 70-200 f2.8 and having nothing to replace it with (at the time).

I ended up buying the X-E1 + kit zoom as well as the 35mm and the 14mm. I intend to pick up the 55-200 at some point as well as the 23mm when it lands. That 14mm though is just forcing me to take landscape shots all the time. I'm actually enjoying myself pressing the shutter. Even the "kit" zoom works well.

Macro-wise, the 60mm is pretty good, but the general consensus (based on what I've read) is that because AF isn't massively important, using legacy glass and an adapter will do the trick just fine. You can read more about this on the Fuji x forum here. Consider a Nikon adapter and just keep your 105?

There are a LOT of threads from DSLR users who've downgraded on the forum linked above. Most are happy with their decision.

Ian.

I've just done pretty much the exact same thin Ian, X-E1, 14mm, 35mm and the 18-55 zoom with a 55-200 to be ordered when I sell off my Nikon D600 kit.

Can't wait!!:):)

So, MF legacy macro - suggestions please!

Vivitar series 1 90mm f2.5 or tokina 90mm f2.5 (bokina) I am using my Nikon fit tamron 90mm 2.8 with the adaptor still.

So what about macro? Do I stick with the Nikon 105 or is there a cheaper legacy lens that I could use in manual focus?

Aled

Hi, My recommendation to you would be to stick with the Nikon 105 and an adaptor it works very well. You'll have no problems whatsoever with that set up.

Hope this helps.

From last weekend in that rather disappointing weather, images from Bibury and Stow-On-The-Wold.
All with the X-E1, really enjoying this camera, picked up the 35mm recently too.

Swan Hotel and River Coln with the 14mm.

Arlington Row, Bibury with the 14mm. Some of the most photographed cottages in the UK.

One of the local inhabitants with the 18-55.

Street shot, Stow-On-The-Wold, 14mm,

Parish Church of St Edward, Stow-On-The-Wold with the 18-55.

And again a shot with the 14mm wide open.

Hi,

Another new XE-1 member here. :D

Sold my D7000 over the weekend and ordered the XE-1 with 18-55 & case this morning and look forward to receiving it tomorrow.

I have a Nikon 70-300VR which I will buy an adapter for, until I can sell it and then afford the 55-200mm.

Whats AF like with the 35mm now the new FW is out, is it quicker/more accurate than an X100?

I do not have an X100 to compare but since I started using the 35mm a few days ago I have no complains about the speed of AF with the 35mm. About the same speed as the 18-55 after the newest update.

Thanks Vasilis, I mainly use it for portraiture, kids etc. sometimes in lower light, will it cope okay? My M43 setup is pretty quick so dont want something with terrible AF, I wasnt very fond of the X100.

Last edited:
I believe it should, focused quickly and accurately in a darkish room in my house while I was testing it. Took it yesterday in London for a spin but it was quite sunny and bright so it worked well.

If you have the 18-55 try it out on the occasions you want to shoot if that is good enough then the 35mm should be too as they are very similar in AF performance after the last update.

Hi,

Another new XE-1 member here. :D

Sold my D7000 over the weekend and ordered the XE-1 with 18-55 & case this morning and look forward to receiving it tomorrow.

I have a Nikon 70-300VR which I will buy an adapter for, until I can sell it and then afford the 55-200mm.

Hi, Hope you enjoy your new X-E1 they are an awsome bit of kit.

It will benefit you to make sure it has the latest firmware installed both for the body & lens. If it hasn't it is very easily updated via a download to an SD card from the Fuji website.

When you eventually get the 55-200mm lens you'll not want to take it off the camera it is "SO GOOD".

Hope this helps, "ENJOY".(y)

Whats AF like with the 35mm now the new FW is out, is it quicker/more accurate than an X100?

Hi, No problems with the 35mm whatsoever. It's better with the latest firmware update, as is the 18-55mm.

Hope this helps.

To clarify I havent bought an XE-1 yet, just wondering what the combo is like with regards AF compared to an X100 in lower light. But good to hear its much improved, thanks for the replies.

Be great if anyone has used M43 or an X100 previously to make a comparison.

Last edited:
I've owned M4/3 (Panasonic G3, G5, Olympus OMD) and a X100, in my opinion the X-E1 is significantly better at focusing in any conditions compared to the X100, and as close enough to the M4/3 gear that I don't really notice it. The 18-55/55-200 have been nice and quick for a while, the 35 was a weak link speed-wise, but the latest update has really improved it in my opinion.

I was messing around with the X-E1/35 in very, very dark conditions a few nights ago, I was amazed at what it was locking onto despite needing ISO6400, f1.4 and a shutter speed I could barely hold steady for.

Compared to a DSLR it has far less focus misses (as do the M4/3 bodies) with reasonably static subjects, I can't remember the last OOF photo I took with it. Even the 55-200 has surprised and impressed me at motorsport and airshows, obviously not DSLR quick, but pretty respectable.

Last edited:
Thats great!! Thanks ukaskew, as said was very disappointed with the X100 AF.

I've just had a quick play with the X-E1 tonight, and although it was pretty dark in the kitchen, first impressions are impressive! I'd say that it's high ISO is about on par with my old Nikon D600. The AF performance was also pretty snappy, much better than I expected to be honest. I'll test it out properly over the next few days and report back.

Can't wait till the morning...

Aled

Also just joined the XE-1 owners club :) What settings do you guys recommend for things like film simulation, colour, sharpness, highlight tone etc.? It's going to take a while to try all the combinations, so I thought the wisdom of the group might help point me to the best combinations!

Really enjoying my XE-1,but one thing annoy me i keep accidentally knocking the exposure com switch,at the moment got it tape down.
Any better idea :help:

Really enjoying my XE-1,but one thing annoy me i keep accidentally knocking the exposure com switch,at the moment got it tape down.
Any better idea :help:
Same ive had loads cameras in the past and find people complaining about random things and think i never found that a problem "Yet" i have caught the exposure com dial on my Fuji !, I had seen the thumb rest on a X100 sale threads i think but only now that twist has pointed out its purpose on the X-E1 have i noticed the benefit of it :bonk:

Think i might have too invest in one :D

Same ive had loads cameras in the past and find people complaining about random things and think i never found that a problem "Yet" i have caught the exposure com dial on my Fuji !, I had seen the thumb rest on a X100 sale threads i think but only now that twist has pointed out its purpose on the X-E1 have i noticed the benefit of it :bonk:

Think i might have too invest in one :D

Yep going to get one,got a bit of sellotape in place at the moment :LOL:

Yep. Thumbrest to avoid knocking exp comp and a bit of tape over the Q button which I was repeatedly accidentally pressing. A small soft release also helped my fat fingers work better with the shutter.

Good to see more X-E1 users!

Ian.

Yep. Thumbrest to avoid knocking exp comp and a bit of tape over the Q button which I was repeatedly accidentally pressing. A small soft release also helped my fat fingers work better with the shutter.

Good to see more X-E1 users!

Ian.

Yep had to do the swap from using an DSLR due to health problem,carrying an DSLR kit became to much,been thinking about moving over after looking at them all the Fuji for me came out the best bet :)

Hi all - can the x-e1 do off camera flash. currently mulling over the idea of ditching my dslr for a mirrorless (either x mount or m43 methinks)

I can't believe it, as soon as I get the money together to buy the 55-200mm amazon are suddenly out of stock! It says delivery within 1-2 months :(

Anyone know where else I can get it for a similar price to amazon? (£570)

I can't believe it, as soon as I get the money together to buy the 55-200mm amazon are suddenly out of stock! It says delivery within 1-2 months :(

Their very hard to come by at the moment,got mine from my local LCE store :)

Mifsud's seems next best (assuming they have stock which I didn't check):

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/...ifilm-55-200mm-f3.5-4.8-R-LM-OIS-X-Mount-Lens

Looks good, I'll give them a ring see if they have one in stock.

Anyone here used mifsuds before? I did a quick search on here and google and found a few mixed results, but that was from a few years ago.

EDIT: No luck, they are out of stock as well. Although they quoted me a better wait time of 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

Keep an eye on the Fuji refurbished store? 550 if you manage to catch one

Back