Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Keep an eye on the Fuji refurbished store? 550 if you manage to catch one

I've placed an order with Calumet photographic. It was £599 but they have one in stock. Thought it was worth the extra £30. Just gotta wait for them to phone me to arrange payment now... Oh the long wait for new kit :LOL:

;) if it is half as good as everybody seems to suggest it will be all worth it! I got much longer to wait for the 10-24 so much so that I ve put my name to be reminded of refurbished 14mm ones :p just need to justify it

Anyone here used mifsuds before? I did a quick search on here and google and found a few mixed results, but that was from a few years ago.

Hi, I've used them on several occasions and found them to be excellent.

Hope this helps.

Anybody using a soft release? Where did you get it?

I don't use one on my x-e1 but I did on my X10. I bought it off ebay for about £3. It was all metal and never came loose so I was happy with it.

Thanks Asa, can you PM me a link?

PM sent.

My 55-200 arrived this morning. Unfortunately there is already a spec of dust just inside the from element. Nothing that would affect my images but its a little annoying because its a brand new lens.
It takes about a second to get focus after pressing the shutter, is this normal? It seems very slow compared to the 18-55mm. I'm just worried because I wanted to use this lens to photograph birds (stationary not in flight).
I've got firmware v2 for my x-e1 but couldn't find any updated firmware for the lens.

EDIT: I've just had another look and at 55mm the focus speed is comparable to the 18-55, its only at the longer end of the lens where the focus speed is slower.

Last edited:
PM sent.

My 55-200 arrived this morning.
It takes about a second to get focus after pressing the shutter, is this normal? It seems very slow compared to the 18-55mm. I'm just worried because I wanted to use this lens to photograph birds (stationary not in flight).
I've got firmware v2 for my x-e1 but couldn't find any updated firmware for the lens.

EDIT: I've just had another look and at 55mm the focus speed is comparable to the 18-55, its only at the longer end of the lens where the focus speed is slower.

Hi, You've got the latest firmware (v2) installed so you should be experiencing faster AF than you're getting.

I've just checked my own X-E1 with the same lenses and there appears to be no difference in the AF speed with either of them at any focal length. They are both very quick.

Have you by any chance got the "Quick Start" mode engaged? If so then switch it "OFF" as this can affect performance.

Hope this helps.

Hi, You've got the latest firmware (v2) installed so you should be experiencing faster AF than you're getting.

I've just checked my own X-E1 with the same lenses and there appears to be no difference in the AF speed with either of them at any focal length. They are both very quick.

Have you by any chance got the "Quick Start" mode engaged? If so then switch it "OFF" as this can affect performance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't got quick start enabled. Its still taking a long time to focus at 200mm, but fine at 55mm. :thinking:
It does seem to perform better when using selective focal point rather than the matrix.

Last edited:
Had a proper go at using the new lens today, the focus speed was still a little slow at the longest end but wasn't too bad. It still seems to be that it should be faster.

9569811993_f06cd3d98c_c.jpg

You are able to get nice close-ups with the lens which was very nice.

Their quite a bit of glass to shift about in the 55-200,but gave mine a quick test last night for me the focus was ok,not much different between the lens.
With most cameras system there is always some variable between each lens and how they autofocus.

:)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I contacted calumet this morning, nice and easy to arrange return and they are even coming to collect it on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have a replacement in a week or two and the focussing will be up to scratch.

Cheers!

I've just picked up an X-E1 to go with my X-Pro1. Not sure I can keep both but let's see. The X-E1 came with a grip and a Gariz half-case and again one will probably go. At the moment I am liking the case more, but I have a grip on my X-Pro1 so might need to switch if I am to fool the missus into thinking I just have the one camera...

I can't believe it, as soon as I get the money together to buy the 55-200mm amazon are suddenly out of stock! It says delivery within 1-2 months :(

Anyone know where else I can get it for a similar price to amazon? (£570)

just order it they get stock most days mine said 1-2 months when I ordered it Wednesday morning and received it Thursday lol

onestopdigital procamera etc hav it for around £498 if you don't mind a few days wait for it to come from HK

Thanks Twist. I walk past this every day to and from work. Usually, the little doorway is full of smokers ignoring the no smoking sign there. I always thought it would be a good spot for a portrait and as luck would have it, it was empty when we went by yesterday.

I love, love, love my X-E1, but as somebody who needs a telephoto (with AF) the 55-200 is making me think the unthinkable...a system switch.

It's a great lens, but my first failed in London on a photography trip, and my second just failed in Bryce Canyon, 6 days into a 14 day trip. This trip (my honeymoon) isn't crucial as my 14 and 35 are doing most of the work, but when back home I need a reliable telephoto for motorsport and other stuff. Overall it's probably on for 95% of my photos, so I'm probably hammering it more than most, but neither have been exposed to rain, taken any knocks etc, they look pristine, they just don't work!

I'm not sure I can stomach a full DSLR again, and as enjoyable as I found M4/3 I prefer the images from my Fuji by a significant margin.

Last edited:
I love, love, love my X-E1, but as somebody who needs a telephoto (with AF) the 55-200 is making me think the unthinkable...a system switch.

It's a great lens, but my first failed in London on a photography trip, and my second just failed in Bryce Canyon, 6 days into a 14 day trip. This trip (my honeymoon) isn't crucial as my 14 and 35 are doing most of the work, but when back home I need a reliable telephoto for motorsport and other stuff. Overall it's probably on for 95% of my photos, so I'm probably hammering it more than most, but neither have been exposed to rain, taken any knocks etc, they look pristine, they just don't work!

I'm not sure I can stomach a full DSLR again, and as enjoyable as I found M4/3 I prefer the images from my Fuji by a significant margin.

Only just brought my 55-200 hoping i get better luck,even if you are using 95% of the time it should not fail this easily its a well made lens.
Maybe a fault in the first batch it has been out to long ?
By the way how it failing ?

Only just brought my 55-200 hoping i get better luck,even if you are using 95% of the time it should not fail this easily its a well made lens.
Maybe a fault in the first batch it has been out to long ?
By the way how it failing ?

On the first one the barrel was grinding and sticking when zooming in and out (to the point where it won't fully recede most of the time) and anything over 100mm was a blurry mess, it simply would not focus.

On this one the grinding has just started (only slightly) and the same focus issues as above are occurring. I'm aware of a few people now who have had exactly the same issues.

I'm just in the process of switching over to Fuji from pentax and am in a tizz! Can't make my mind up what to do bearing in mind I want the 35mm and am not really interested in the zoom....

A:get the x-e1 with 35mm from DRev

B:get the xpro with 35mm and 18mm and then sell the 18 (time is in short supply as this deal runs out on the 31st)

Each option will cost me roughly the same, although the initial outlay will be more (pushing things a little) and extra faffing about if I go the xpro route...

Having never used an evf before I suppose I just want to know if the ovf of the xpro is really a deal breaker and is the evf really such hard work in low light? After all, what's the point of having a camera which such good high iso capabilities and a nice fast lens if you can't focus it?

I like the thought of having the hybrid finder, but the smaller size of the xe1 appeals too. Has anyone got or had both and what are your thoughts?

Please put me out of my misery as I'm really p*****g myself off with my indecisiveness!

So at the weekend I took the plunge and traded in my Canon 50D with 24-105L, sigma 30mm and 10-20mm for the lovely little Silver X-E1 in the 18-55 kit plus purchased the 35mm too. After getting some time to give it a test run I can say I'm very pleased with the move!
I bought a small canvas satchel and made it into a camera bag with some padding out of my old large shoulder bag, the Fuji with both lenses and a few accessories in the bag doesn't weigh much more than my empty Lowepro backpack!

I wasn't using the Canon mainly due to laziness, too much of a chore to take it with me! I moved to the X-E1 in the hope I wouldn't have this predicament... Yesterday showed me I had made the right decision! Fully enjoyed chasing and capturing light yesterday!

9591675701_aab0138eca_z.jpg

9591671131_1083db9ec3_z.jpg

I'm just in the process of switching over to Fuji from pentax and am in a tizz! Can't make my mind up what to do bearing in mind I want the 35mm and am not really interested in the zoom....

B:get the xpro with 35mm and 18mm and then sell the 18 (time is in short supply as this deal runs out on the 31st)

Each option will cost me roughly the same, although the initial outlay will be more (pushing things a little) and extra faffing about if I go the xpro route...

Having never used an evf before I suppose I just want to know if the ovf of the xpro is really a deal breaker and is the evf really such hard work in low light? After all, what's the point of having a camera which such good high iso capabilities and a nice fast lens if you can't focus it?

I like the thought of having the hybrid finder, but the smaller size of the xe1 appeals too. Has anyone got or had both and what are your thoughts?

Please put me out of my misery as I'm really p*****g myself off with my indecisiveness!

Haven't had both, only the X-E1 and only in passing played with the XPro1 so not sure how the VFs compare in real use but I wouldn't trade the compactness of the X-E1 for the OVF. The EVF works rather well on the X-E1.

The only problem that I do have with it is that it takes it a second or two to adjust between very different lighting situations. Other than that I hated with passion EVFs even the one on the OMD didn't impress me as much as the X-E1.

You can always use the back screen to focus in extreme situations anyway.

The cheapest way to do it is buy the 18-55 kit, sell the 18-55, buy the 35 used. It should work out at around the same price overall.

The XP1 is 1200 less around 300 for the 18mm, overall cost 900. Thats £170 MORE than the XE1 & 35mm combo.

So I've just taken the plunge and part exchanged my Panasonic GX1 and assorted lenses for an XE1 and 18-55 kit. My first , and I suspect simplest question is, can anyone suggest a decent wrist strap for the camera? I had an Op-tech neoprene strap on the GX1 that I kept back for use on this camera, but the loop that attaches it to the camera is far too thick to go through the strap eyelet on the XE1.

More questions will inevitably follow.

Thanks,

Iain

So I've just taken the plunge and part exchanged my Panasonic GX1 and assorted lenses for an XE1 and 18-55 kit. My first , and I suspect simplest question is, can anyone suggest a decent wrist strap for the camera? I had an Op-tech neoprene strap on the GX1 that I kept back for use on this camera, but the loop that attaches it to the camera is far too thick to go through the strap eyelet on the XE1.

More questions will inevitably follow.

Thanks,

Iain

Gordy strap, I bought one but had the wrong coloured binding on the arm, emailed to say so and they sent a second one with the correct binding colour for free, and told me I can keep the first as it was their fault....

They are a bit hard in the beginning but they soften/loosen up nicely after a few days/weeks depending on how much you use them. I have one on the XE-1 and the other on the K-5 and I can't fault them.

Been out with mine for a couple of days been on a short break,give my thought when I get home,so far really enjoying it,it's a great camera but battery life could be better,and not so fond of using it with the longer zoom 55-200.
But I would say to me this is not the sought of camera you want to use an long zoom on,my fav lens so far 18-55 which I have used most of the time and the 35mm a great lens as well.
I would also like to to see an smaller but faster longer zoom maybe an 55-100/150 with say an constant F4 aperture.
Next buy 14mm,and maybe get rid of the 55-200 ?.
Looking forward to looking over my photo when I get back.

Been out with mine for a couple of days been on a short break,give my thought when I get home,so far really enjoying it,it's a great camera but battery life could be better,and not so fond of using it with the longer zoom 55-200.
But I would say to me this is not the sought of camera you want to use an long zoom on,my fav lens so far 18-55 which I have used most of the time and the 35mm a great lens as well.
I would also like to to see an smaller but faster longer zoom maybe an 55-100/150 with say an constant F4 aperture.
Next buy 14mm,and maybe get rid of the 55-200 ?.
Looking forward to looking over my photo when I get back.

A 50-1xx at 2.8 would be sooooooo useful! I am keeping my K-5 only because I can't get rid of my 50-135.

Regardless next buy is the zoom ultra wide, I used to have the 10-24 Tamron on my D40/D7K and it was such a useful lens to have!

I've just spent two weeks photographing South West USA with my X-E1 and it's been an absolute joy. Broken 55-200 aside, I've used the 14mm and 35mm almost exclusively, with the very occasional use of the 60mm.

I can say hand on heart that money no object there is nothing I would rather have had for the trip, taking size, weight and quality into consideration. I was able to take my X-E1, 14mm, 35mm, 60mm, 55-200mm and iPad (plus lots of accessories) out with me every day in a smallish Crumpler shoulder bag

Having previously owned the X100 I did miss the 23mm focal length, often 14mm would be too wide and 35mm too long, with no space for movement by foot either way.

I've taken 2100 photos in 12 days and although I've not had a good thorough look at everything, I'm very, very pleased with what I've seen considering it was primarily a honeymoon, not a photo expedition, and not on one single occasion did I break up our trip or spend time somewhere primarily just to photograph stuff.

Flying home shortly, so can't wait to get back and go through them all.

Hi, Hope you enjoy your new X-E1 they are an awsome bit of kit.

It will benefit you to make sure it has the latest firmware installed both for the body & lens. If it hasn't it is very easily updated via a download to an SD card from the Fuji website.

When you eventually get the 55-200mm lens you'll not want to take it off the camera it is "SO GOOD".

Hope this helps, "ENJOY".(y)

Unfortunately I had to send the camera back. I am disabled and I have nerve & tendon damage to both index fingers. I found the card slot and lens mount to fiddly for me to use due to my disabilities. Back to the drawing board for me. Gutted, really wanted to use this camera after all the excellent reviews.

A 50-1xx at 2.8 would be sooooooo useful! I am keeping my K-5 only because I can't get rid of my 50-135.

Regardless next buy is the zoom ultra wide, I used to have the 10-24 Tamron on my D40/D7K and it was such a useful lens to have!

I am waiting for new ultra wide zoom, but would like to see what the distortion is like.
Tried the 14mm and the distortion level were very good, so might just go for one of those.

Back