Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Thanks Lindsay. Unfortunately I don't have the option to return it. Fingers crossed for the firmware to have a magic fix, but I guess this is basically inherent in the system.

It was a toss up between the OMD and XE-1. From reviews I knew the OMD was faster to focus but I did assume that it would be at least as fast as a an 18 month old G3! I also had a couple of M43 lenses so it would have been a cheaper option :-( Anyway, its done now and to be honest the images are excellent. Will make sure not to over invest in lenses though for the Fuji until I see what happens with the focus.

I've still got the Canon 50D so for fast focus I'm covered but did expect that the XE-1 would take over for all but motor sports and birds... I guess not :(

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Steve

I have the X-Pro which is basically identical in operation. Regarding focussing I don't have issues in low light of my daughter dancing on a stage (one of the most extreme cases), and never in normal light. It's at least the equal of my previous 5D2. Yes I know that was not a focus monster but fine for me. It is different from a DSLR though and takes a bit of re-learning. Here's one tip for instance.
http://picabroad.com/2012/04/10/fuji-x-pro-1-autofocus-trick/

Well I caved in and purchased the X-E1 with 18-55 and 35 1.4 a few weeks back, I have to say I am seriously enjoying this camera. As far as the focusing is concerned.. I am actually pleasantly surprised; there are so many mixed comments on numerous forums out there, Some saying its useless and some saying its faster than their DSLR - neither of which are true of course. I think people just have such a varying degree of expectation on this one, or maybe they don't have the latest firmware :D
Previously I have owned the the NEX 7 and x100 and wouldn't say the focus speed is slower than either, there's a technique to using CD auto focus which one gets accustomed to after a little while.

Before I purchased it I was more than aware that its not the type of camera for sports or fast moving subjects - but then what mirrorless set up is?
I did seriously consider the OMD EM5 (quicker focus and the IS sensor) but for me personally I didn't want to lose the extra depth of field control that you get with APS-C and the Fuji F1.4 lenses (which are stupidly gorgeous in my opinion). I'm aware you can get reasonable DOF control with M 4/3rds but it was another tick int the Fuji box for me, plus the Olympus felt a little to small for my big hands.

I think if your camera is earning your wages then every mirrorless set up out there will give you some degree of frustration (depending on what you shoot of course), the DSLR is the only workhorse imo.

As others have mentioned, there is a firmware update just around the corner for the X-E1 / X-pro1, which includes improved auto focus performance :)

My previous 5D MkII was the bedrock of my professional kit bag for around 18 months and never once did I see any issues with focus. In the same situations (nothing involving sport or running subjects) the XE1 proved unworkable much of the time due to slowness and some accuracy issues. The pace of a pro-assignment is very different to how we do things on a personal outing, and that is key if considering the Fuji for this purpose. However for personal work I had no problems whatsoever with the XE1. But even gently moving subjects were a problem for it at times and zone or manual focus would not be an option in many professional situations. I think it's a great camera for recreational use where speed is not a requirement.

The difference in depth of field between micro 4/3 and APS-C is less than a stop and that difference at times is more likely to be a benefit than a problem. The fast micro 4/3 primes are out of this world (and I quite agree that Fujinon glass is stellar). The OMD so far is earning its keep in pro terms and the only applications it is not suited for are of course situations where fast continuous focus is necessary. Those situations are not often and I retain my DSLRs for that kind of thing.

Hi Phil / Dan,

I was aware the XE-1 was not a DSLR focus slayer, but I did expect it to be as good as a Panny G3 from a couple of years ago. They are both using CD focus and the hit rate in low light is day and night in comparison. The Fuji is slower and much more likely to refuse to focus. I have found that switching to AFC rather than AFS evens it up then the Fuji is MUCH quicker and able to focus on objects that AFS was unable to. So hopefully Fuji will put the bit that works in AFC into AFS.

I'm not trying to knock the camera. I always planned on keeping my 50D for moving stuff, but was surprised that the G3 was faster and had a better low light EVF than a current generation premium camera.

It's early days and I have seen a few posts now of tips and tricks that may well help me improve my hit rate but to be honest, should I have to?

Cheers!
Steve

Hi Stevebuk,

I took a long, long time before I moved from my 5D2. I had 3 plays. First time for about 15 minutes and I thought, nah! It was just so different. But it was the promise of the image quality in a small package and the fuji firmware update record that kept bringing me back. I took the plunge when the free lens was on offer and have been happy ever since I took my first good landscape with it.

2.0 then 2.01 gave improvements and now it's a wait for the slightly delayed new update that promises more. The only time I have had an issue with focussing recently was in extreme low light with the 60mm.

For specific fuji info this is a good place.
http://www.x100forum.com/

anyone found any other wired remote that works with the X-E1? Other than the fujifilm one.

Hi chaps, has anyone bought a small bag to carry the body with 18-55 and space for a spare lens? I'd be interested to hear what people have bought.

Thanks
Steve

Sorry if I missed it but I did scan the thread. Are the lenses rated as the 35mm equivalent or is the 18-55 actually 28-88? What about the prime lenses?

Dpr says one thing, fujiguys say another :)

Sorry if I missed it but I did scan the thread. Are the lenses rated as the 35mm equivalent or is the 18-55 actually 28-88? What about the prime lenses?

Dpr says one thing, fujiguys say another :)

The focal lengths stated are the focal lengths of the lens. If you mount them on an APS-C sensor body then you apply the multiplication factor to get the 35mm 'equivalent'. The 35mm f/1.4 Fuji lens give you the approximate angle of view as a 50mm lens on a full frame camera.

Where are you sourcing the conflicting DPR/Fujiguys info from?

Hi chaps, has anyone bought a small bag to carry the body with 18-55 and space for a spare lens? I'd be interested to hear what people have bought.

Thanks
Steve

Am using a lowepro passport to house my xe1 with 18-55 and my tokina 11-16mm

The focal lengths stated are the focal lengths of the lens. If you mount them on an APS-C sensor body then you apply the multiplication factor to get the 35mm 'equivalent'. The 35mm f/1.4 Fuji lens give you the approximate angle of view as a 50mm lens on a full frame camera.

Where are you sourcing the conflicting DPR/Fujiguys info from?

Thanks a lot! The DPR review said that you multiply the crop factor but in one of the fujiguys videos they mentioned that it was the 35mm equivalent numbers on the lens. maybe I heard them wrong/they said it wrong.

Thanks
Steve

I use a Domke F-803, which is absolutely perfect for it. I'd probably have gone for a Billingham Hadley Small had my budget extended to it though.

Thanks Yee. How do you find it? It looks good.

I like it... Fits just nicely into the camera compartment. Plus filters and other stuff at the expandable section... Really convenient for travelling due to large pockets to put maps and a water bottle :)

What RAW converter are people using? I'm not getting results as good as my NEX 7 from the camera and I was expecting to at least match that. Love the camera but need to get to grips with extracting the best IQ from it.

I shoot RAW+ Jpeg (on an x-pro1 but I guess its all the same). I process the RAW in Lightroom and then see which I like most - usually the Jpeg wins. Down to a combination of Lightroom not doing a good job (about 5% of the problem) and me being useless (95% of the problem) I think. The only time I stick to RAWs is when I want to take them through a Nik program.

Apparently the new version of Capture 1 does a decent, though not perfect, job with RAWs but I am waiting for Lightroom to sort it out.

I've been messing with Lightroom 4, Capture 1 Trial and Silkypix. Capture 1 seems the best but I'm not sure it's worth the outlay compared to the jpeg's.

Will have to wait and see what Adobe do or try and improve my skill in using Silkypix.

There are a few thread on the fuji-x-forum about processing in different packages but they all seem to come to the conclusion you reached. One thing I haven't tried is the in-camera processing where you create a jpeg to your own specs from the RAW after capture.

I have confused myself a little. I have the money for an extra lens but can't decide between the 35 and 60. I will eventually end up with both and use them a similar amount, so basically I don't know which to get first. It'll be a couple of months before I can get the next one.

Any advice? I'm leaning toward the 35 for the better focusing and wider aperture being more useful in the winter.

I have confused myself a little. I have the money for an extra lens but can't decide between the 35 and 60. I will eventually end up with both and use them a similar amount, so basically I don't know which to get first. It'll be a couple of months before I can get the next one.

Any advice? I'm leaning toward the 35 for the better focusing and wider aperture being more useful in the winter.

Trying to get the 35 as well.... used my friend's when I was back home last june. Was amazing!! can't wait to get my hands on one of them, I would be getting 35mm to see if I prefer the 35 or the 18-55 kit lens for my travels.

All depends on what you are shooting as well, 35mm is well suited for travels (Which is what i would need) and 60mm i would say more for potraits or macros? not getting that as I already have my tamron 90mm for macros :)

I have nothing bad to say about the 35mm - lovely sharp lens, small, fast.

The 60mm is also nice, but focus can be slow (there is a firmware update out that may have changed this) and of all the three primes I have (also got the 18mm) the 60mm is the one I am least happy to use. I think I will get the fast tele lens when it is released and the macro might get sold on.

So while the 60mm length is closest to what I use most (90 equivalent on a full-frame) the 35mm would get my recommendation

For me it is a no brainer. The 35 is amazing all the time. The 60mm is amazing for occassions.

I went to try both today and came away with the 35, the out of focus areas are beautifully smooth and it's amazingly sharp wide open. I also managed to source an Olympus om50/1.8 and adapter for £40 which, along with my Tamron sp90/2.5 gives me decent macro and portrait coverage.

I will probably get the 60mm but will wait and see what results the Tamron produces as the upcoming 23 and 56mm primes look perfect.

You might prefer the fujinon 56mm f/1.4 when it comes out this month I've heard!

Got out for an hour this afternoon and really enjoyed using the 35mm. Will post some pics when I get a chance to process them....

anyone tried using any remote with the 2.5mm cable into the audio socket? Mine does not seem to work (3rd party)

Just updated my profile, sold the K5 and just got a canon G15, thought i would be ok with something that fits in pocket but looking for something else now.

Maybe an X E1 or might get anther Pentax, loved the K5. had second thoughts when selling but bought and sold at a good price so did not lose much on it.

Saw the refurb kits at @ £850, is there another 10% discount code around now?

I think paypal12 still works

Back