Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

A cheaper set-up would be the RF-602 trigger set and fully manual flashes (the older Canon EZ range have a good power-to-£ ratio), but as Colin says that would give you less control from the camera position.

A cheaper set-up would be the RF-602 trigger set and fully manual flashes (the older Canon EZ range have a good power-to-£ ratio), but as Colin says that would give you less control from the camera position.

Potentially these are mostly set-up shots in a small space to control of flash from the cameras is not that crucial....
I'll check ebay for the EZ models.
Thanks.

Those will be perfect Jeff. I use very similar, mine are the Mk3 flashes. You could get an even cheaper set up but the convenience of having full control of the flashes from the camera is worth having.

After a bit of reading the Nissin i40 seems a possible choice!

On camera with TTL
Off camera TTL with my existing OC3 flash cord
Off camera manual using the existing pop up flash to fire the i40

Any disadvantages?

On camera with TTL

Any disadvantages?

It's a great little flash I use mine on camera or hand held on a short ttl lead. It's not as powerful as the yongnuo though.

On camera with TTL

Any disadvantages?

The i40 is a really great and versatile bit of kit. No problems whatsoever with mine.(y)

George.

Has anybody heard anything about the firmware update that was due a couple of months ago?

Meant to be due in mid-January now. 2nd class service. They have moved on with yet another update on the X-T1 since this one was announced to give the XE2 similar capabilities to the V4 XT1 update. However they have messed up the latest XT1 update so their resources may be further divided. Who knows.

Meant to be due in mid-January now. 2nd class service. They have moved on with yet another update on the X-T1 since this one was announced to give the XE2 similar capabilities to the V4 XT1 update. However they have messed up the latest XT1 update so their resources may be further divided. Who knows.
What are these new capabilities you speak of?

You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that the update they did for the XT1 early in 2015 won't come to the XE2 until 2016. Besides being scheduled for much later, subsequently it has been delayed and a further update came for the XT1. That in my opinion is 2nd class service in comparison. I am grateful for any update but disappointed it has taken so long.

Did they promise this feature when you bought it? Seems churlish to complain about a delay to a feature they have no obligation to provide.

I don't think Fuji are the problem. It was the rumours that surfaced in September from so-called 'well informed' sources close to Fuji, saying that the firmware update would be available in December.
I think my X-E2 is great anyway, and if any improvements come along by way of more updates, it will be a bonus, not an expectation.

Got my Nissin i40 flash off amazon open box deals for £115.60 - very happy - love that I can fire it off camera using the built in flash - only annoyance is having to remove my thumb grip - but small price to pay....

And here is a photo I've just uploaded to Flickr from March 2015.

Llanbedrog beach huts by Jeff, on Flickr

Got my Nissin i40 flash off amazon open box deals for £115.60 - very happy - love that I can fire it off camera using the built in flash - only annoyance is having to remove my thumb grip - but small price to pay....
I've been using the i40 loads this Christmas, mounted on both the x100 and xt1. It's really a brilliant little flash. Been mainly using it in manual though - it avoids the metering preflash and so makes it more useful for snap shots. The wheel adjustment for output makes it a doddle to tweak settings.

Grabbing a moment for a quick test of the 27mm on the X-E2..

rear window

Hey guys, well I am looking at going Fuji (again) asap, I'm stuck between an X-e2 (with 2 lenses) or X-T10 (with 1) but anyway thats for another day. Just thought I would throw in some of my X-e1 shots from the beginning of the year before I stupidly sold it along with my ace 23mm.

Arnish Lighthouse by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
Blackhouse Door by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
Garenin Village by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
The Break In by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr

Looking forward to getting back to it!

Hey guys, well I am looking at going Fuji (again) asap, I'm stuck between an X-e2 (with 2 lenses) or X-T10 (with 1) but anyway thats for another day. Just thought I would throw in some of my X-e1 shots from the beginning of the year before I stupidly sold it along with my ace 23mm.

Arnish Lighthouse by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
Blackhouse Door by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
Garenin Village by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr
The Break In by Matthew Morrison, on Flickr

Lovely images! What did you swap your kit for?

Since then I went back to my Canon 60D, then to a 5D1 setup. I just need a smaller package again, feel I don't use my camera as much as I should because of size.

I'm stuck between an X-e2 (with 2 lenses) or X-T10 (with 1)
Fuji UK still have a few refurbished X-E2 plus XF18-55 kits for £500 (once you use the usual code). Not a bad deal if that's a lens you have in mind.

I had a play with the XT10 yesterday and my initial fears of it being too small were somewhat unwarranted - the new firmware that is not YET on the XE2 is a very good upgrade (it's why I bought an XT1 to get pics of my lad playing footy) and the XT10 has a switch on the top that simply allows automatic mode which is great if someone else is going to use the camera but just wants a point and shoot.

As for lenses, I thought the 18mm pancake did look big on it and my 35mm made the camera front heavy so you basically hold it from the lens.

I'll be sticking with my XE2 as I prefer the form factor :)

Thanks for that, good to hear a point of view from someone who has/used both. I love the form of the xe1/2 but fear that they might still be a bit 'slow' compared, focus wise that is. I guess the new firmware should help with that but from what I gather it's no firm date for it.

Lens wise I probably will be going primes, 35 first then 18 (or both if I go x-e2) then further down the line the 60/56 if I'm flush haha

Thanks for that, good to hear a point of view from someone who has/used both. I love the form of the xe1/2 but fear that they might still be a bit 'slow' compared, focus wise that is. I guess the new firmware should help with that but from what I gather it's no firm date for it.

Lens wise I probably will be going primes, 35 first then 18 (or both if I go x-e2) then further down the line the 60/56 if I'm flush haha
No probs, TBH I would probably try and hold the xt10 before buying as if its not too small for you then it's probably the better option just due to the better autofocus.

I've upgraded from the X-E1 to an X-T10, I too was worried that the X-T10 was going to be a tiny toy camera however after a bit of time in a camera shop using it with various lens' I was convinced it was fine. I used it with the new 35mm F/2 on it and the autofocus was lightening fast and size wise it felt perfect, think the lens will now be on my list! I imagine it will feel just as good with an 18mm on it :) The viewfinder is also an absolute pleasure, but that's compared to the X-E1 of course, not used an X-E2 :)

Adam

.. or hold to see if the rumoured X-E2S will appear..

Surely, if they update the firmware on the X-E2 there is hardly any point in launching a X-E2s? So it would appear that the long rumoured firmware update 'ain't going to happen.

Thats what Im thinking, disappointing if true. Guess it gives them another way to churn out the same camera again.

One of the reasons some people are happy with Fuji over other manufacturers is the support for their cameras. They did a grand job with the x100. I felt they dropped the x100s a bit short in comparison and the XE2 has been in the shadow of the XT1. It will be a shame if they fail to update it after waiting so long. However, that's what happens with other manufacturers, not just of cameras, minor incremental tweaks hailed as 'new, this year's model'. I'm sure the update promise came from Fuji though, and not just people speculating last year.

Back