Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

One of the reasons some people are happy with Fuji over other manufacturers is the support for their cameras. They did a grand job with the x100. I felt they dropped the x100s a bit short in comparison and the XE2 has been in the shadow of the XT1. It will be a shame if they fail to update it after waiting so long. However, that's what happens with other manufacturers, not just of cameras, minor incremental tweaks hailed as 'new, this year's model'. I'm sure the update promise came from Fuji though, and not just people speculating last year.

Kaizen seems to only apply to certain models, like you say, X100 (s / t) seems to have lost it, XE never had it, I doubt XT10 will have it. Bit of a shame as even though the hardware is falling behind quite a lot the FW upgrades were something to look forward to and it extended the product life for the user. Looks like the accountants have taken over.

Last edited:
Surely, if they update the firmware on the X-E2 there is hardly any point in launching a X-E2s? So it would appear that the long rumoured firmware update 'ain't going to happen.
There is an obvious upgrade path from the X-E2 to a X-E2S that wouldn't justify a full model designation change (to -E3) and wouldn't preclude a firmware update to the X-E2..

Take an X-E2 and apply all or most of the following upgrades,
  • add the electronic shutter module from the -T1/T10 - the most obvious upgrade
  • get the FPS boost from the shutter module
  • shoe-horn in the EVF magnification module from the -T1 - may not be physically possible
  • add in the tilt monitor from the -T1/T10
  • replace the SD card slot with the SDXC (UHS II) module from the -T1
  • add a front dial from the -T1/T10, possibly some other button changes/additions
  • beef up the chassis to all magnesium construction and add weathersealing
  • add a pointless limited edition colour/fashion option (fake carbon fibre would be my guess)

Because the sensor and processor remain the same it doesn't really justify a X-E3 label - but it's a significant upgrade beyond a firmware upgrade (which can still be applied to the X-E2 already in circulation).

Last edited:
Fujirumors are reporting that the X-E2 will still get a firmware upgrade regardless. This appears to be more of a marketing thing, and Fuji themselves have stated twice in the past that the new firmware will come for the X-E2.

What the X-E2 *might* not get is the electronic shutter, if the hardware itself doesn't support that. The new AF system should be possible at least though...will wait and see :)

I think that's a hardware thing - not something that can be added in firmware.

It *was* added to the X-T1 however! That said, I think we are both saying the same thing, that the X-E2 may never have had that capability in the first place, regardless of whether the firmware makes it available or not.

It *was* added to the X-T1 however! That said, I think we are both saying the same thing, that the X-E2 may never have had that capability in the first place, regardless of whether the firmware makes it available or not.
The X-T1 had a higher FPS burst rate at launch than the X-E2 which suggests it has a larger buffer, faster pipe or both. So I suspect the X-T1 may have had the electronic shutter capability at launch but perhaps didn't have a stable firmware in time.

I have the XE2 & XT1 and I can see the logic in an XE2s that is the equivalent spec of the XT1 because its probably aimed at people like me who prefer the form factor the XE range to the XT range.

TBH, if the XE2 just gets the autofocus update I'll be extremely pleased and will probably sell my XT1, would I buy the XE2s - probably not as I would want more megapixels on the sensor to buy at RRP.

Is 16/1 still the date for the XE2 firmware?

Fujirumors are reporting that the X-E2 will still get a firmware upgrade regardless. This appears to be more of a marketing thing, and Fuji themselves have stated twice in the past that the new firmware will come for the X-E2.

What the X-E2 *might* not get is the electronic shutter, if the hardware itself doesn't support that. The new AF system should be possible at least though...will wait and see :)

They been saying for long enough,i hope they dont let us down :(

Going back about 18 months, the XE2 did appear to be pretty much an XT1 in an RF style body then... Obviously the firmware updates since have opened up a gulf that the XE2S looks to fill...

If they would update the XE2 firmware to allow previewing the image on the screen when the shooting menu is set to EVF only I would be very happy, nothing more needed.

I'd like eye sensor EVF only to save battery, except when I pressed Menu or Image playback it came up on the LCD, almost like a dslr tbh

Just seen elsewhere there may be a firmware announcement for the xe2 on Jan 15th along with formal announcement re new models xe2s etc

used the panorama feature on the XE2 for the first time today... quite impressed.

24328338346_90e1f6b5a1_b.jpg

Roll on Feb 4th.

X-e2s is only cosmetically different.

X-e2 firmware includes electronic shutter plus everything else expected.

I wasn't expecting the FW update to add quite so much. I was on the fence about the X-Pro2 but I'm going to take the plunge, in no small part because I know the camera I buy next month will be improved and improved over time :)

I'd be surprised to see another update after this, unless maybe to support lenses or iron out any issues with this firmware, but who knows, could be pleasantly surprised. The x100 had about 2 years of support I think. Have to say I'm impressed with this upgrade, the XE2 is a lovely camera and I often can't decide which to take out over my x100s.

Just off out for a photo taking wander and the old X-E1 is again the chosen camera with the humble XC 16-50mm
Do sometimes wonder why I bought the X-T1 and various lenses, maybe next time

Last edited:
It was a response to Ricky's post, I misread it reading he was buying an XE2 with the expectation of further updates. I just read again and realise he will be expecting update support for the new Xpro. Always someone ready to jump in eh...

That's it, take one for the team! It'll work out well, they won't make a poor camera. I'm fairly sure I'll get an xpro 2 at some point but will look at the packages and offers, or await price drops.. Probably around 2017 :)

Interesting times, was considering moving to m4/3rds but feeling the fuji love at the moment, hopefully some nice cheap XE2's coming up for sale soon :)
Not actually read the spec of the new XE2s but with the new firmware on the XE2 is there any point upgrading?

hopefully some nice cheap XE2's coming up for sale soon
Unlikely to be better than the refurb price, still refurb X-E2 kits on the Fuji UK store.

Fuji have finally combined all the smartphone apps into one now as well, wahoo! I wonder if it will actually work properly now? :p

Really impressed with the list of firmware updates, was NOT expecting that for a camera released in 2013! Getting the new AF system, electronic shutter AND a new interface is pretty crazy :) Interested to see if the new realistic EVF colours make a difference or not.

Well, loads of stuff there. (Except the one thing I asked for. :)) It'll be good to change focus points without having to press the FN button.
Yep. This was one of the three things that change things fundamentally for me.

(19) Direct selection of AF area

The update will let users select the focus area using the 4-way selector buttons, without pressing the Fn key.

Last edited:
Interesting times, was considering moving to m4/3rds but feeling the fuji love at the moment, hopefully some nice cheap XE2's coming up for sale soon :)
Not actually read the spec of the new XE2s but with the new firmware on the XE2 is there any point upgrading?
No. The update is entirely cosmetic.

Kaizen seems to only apply to certain models, like you say, X100 (s / t) seems to have lost it, XE never had it, I doubt XT10 will have it. Bit of a shame as even though the hardware is falling behind quite a lot the FW upgrades were something to look forward to and it extended the product life for the user. Looks like the accountants have taken over.

Or not. ;)

Back