Fuji X-S1 for wedding photography...oh and please no guest photos if you have a dslr...

Edit My Images
No
I was at my friends wedding last weekend and on arrival to the church I got told no dslr photography camera phones are fine from the photographers assistant..
now as i was sitting down the photographer was at the front of the church setting up his tripod ( in the middle of the isle ) and attached a Fuji X-S1.... the bride came in and he then had to move the tripod and camera very quickly and ended up colliding with the groom/best man :confused:
The bride and groom are not happy with a lot of the photos ( indoor ones are really blurry and full of noise etc )

Last edited:
I did once shoot a wedding with a fuji S602 but that was a bit different ( I was there as a guest and had to step in) - on the whole I'd really doubt whether a bridge camera is a sensible choice (its only a matter of time until someone encounters a pro shooting with a smart phone :LOL: )

I sort of understand the ban on uncle bobs with DSLRs though as several shooting through the service willcreate a lt of shutter noise and disruption - and who uses a tripod anyway ?

We were told no dslr photography was allowed even at the reception afterwards...
oh and the paid photographer did record a short movie of the best man speech etc on his iPhone, I kid you not !

Last edited:
The bride and groom are not happy with a lot of the photos ( indoor ones are really blurry and full of noise etc )

I wonder how much they paid for their photographer. Investing in a good snapper is often at the bottom of the list, until they see the state of the pictures afterwards, then suddenly the wedding pictures assume much more importance ...

oh and the paid photographer did record a short movie of the best man speech etc on his iPhone, I kid you not !

Done well there is no reason why this wouldn't be perfectly acceptable in my opinion, particularly if it's just a nice added bonus to the photos and isn't something that was specifically quoted for.

The latest iPhone has pretty decent video capabilities (some fantastic 240fps videos about already). We never had a videographer at our wedding, but we're eternally grateful to one of our guests who filmed all the speeches on his iPhone (resting on something so it was nice stable footage) and sent us the footage after.

I wonder how much they paid for their photographer. Investing in a good snapper is often at the bottom of the list, until they see the state of the pictures afterwards, then suddenly the wedding pictures assume much more importance ...
Will find out tomorrow when i see her at work :)

( indoor ones are really blurry and full of noise etc )

Lol i wonder why that could be :D I can't get to excited about noise tbh as most clients don't notice it but blurry is inexcuseable (in fact noise ought to really be the consequence of turning up the iso to get sharp shots)

Incidentally did the snapper have a speedlite or any manner of OCF or was he relying on the pop up

Of course not to be a gear snob about this , it is possible to shoot great shots with a bridge camera , but it does take talent, planning, and working within the kits capabilities , and it definitely wouldnt be my weapon of choice for a wedding.

Of course not to be a gear snob about this , it is possible to shoot great shots with a bridge camera , but it does take talent, planning, and working within the kits capabilities , and it definitely wouldnt be my weapon of choice for a wedding.

Exactly, an experienced and competent photographer can do very well with the simplest of equipment, but if someone is charging good money to photograph a wedding day then he or she really should be appropriately equipped for any eventuality - meaning the kind of low light we regularly encounter in this country. As you say, noise can be managed to an extent but there certainly is no excuse for blurred photographs - this suggests that the focusing system of the camera is not up to the job, or else the photographer does not have a grasp of basic camera craft. In fact I'm baffled as to why anybody would take on a wedding with kit which is likely to be inappropriate - is he trying to make life deliberately hard for himself, or was he perhaps a friend of the couple who had stepped in as a favour?

Lol i wonder why that could be :D I can't get to excited about noise tbh as most clients don't notice it but blurry is inexcuseable (in fact noise ought to really be the consequence of turning up the iso to get sharp shots)

Incidentally did the snapper have a speedlite or any manner of OCF or was he relying on the pop up

I seen a few on her tablet that he placed as a sneak peek on FB...she was annoyed more about the blurry photos and how red everyone looked but did comment on a few that looked blocky which looked to me as they were cropped. I seen a few of the outdoor ones and tbh look ok.

Exactly, an experienced and competent photographer can do very well with the simplest of equipment, but if someone is charging good money to photograph a wedding day then he or she really should be appropriately equipped for any eventuality - meaning the kind of low light we regularly encounter in this country. As you say, noise can be managed to an extent but there certainly is no excuse for blurred photographs - this suggests that the focusing system of the camera is not up to the job, or else the photographer does not have a grasp of basic camera craft. In fact I'm baffled as to why anybody would take on a wedding with kit which is likely to be inappropriate - is he trying to make life deliberately hard for himself, or was he perhaps a friend of the couple who had stepped in as a favour?

we've had at least two "pros" (using that phrase loosely) on here who shoot with bridge cameras "cos like they are just as good as a DSLR and you don't have to change lenses an that" - I'd strongly suspect that the blur will be down to not being able to acheive a sufficiently fast shutter speed , while the red is probably a WB problem

I'd strongly suspect that the blur will be down to not being able to acheive a sufficiently fast shutter speed , while the red is probably a WB problem

Or else the guests had gone bright red with embarrassment, watching the photographer fumbling about ....

Orange Crunch - just tell the photographer to convert those pictures to black-and-white!

preferably after turning down the red channel in photoshop :LOL:

you might want to remind him that colour popping kills kittens as well

Back