Fuji x series - where to start

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I really really fancy making a start with a compact system camera, and really don't want to go smaller than APSC sensor.

So, what do I need to know, and whats the minimum that I'd need to get started. Eventually I'd like lenses in the 35mm to 135mm (in 35mm terms) so that's maybe a std zoom, a 23mm and a 90mm, are there cheaper options than the Fuji lenses, what's the S/H market like?

Will I be able to live with an electronic VF, which camera body is the bare minimum technology wise.

Should I just buy an x100 to scratch my itch?

Phil, the X100 is great and produces some lovely images but for me a fixed focal length was frustrating. Price wise, you can get an X-Pro 1 from the Fuji Refurb store for £299 which to me makes more sense. What kind of photography are you planning to shoot with it? I went the X-T1 route but that's because most of what I do is close-up and macro.

I had the exact same issue about a month or two ago. I already had a Sony A5000 with I like the size of but missed a viewfinder. I then attended a talk by Kevin Mullins about the fuji system and he convinced me to make the swap.

Long story short, I bought a second hand XE1 and 16-50 lens, and also a 27mm 2.8 to try it out. They're absolutely great! Saving up now for the new XE2 or an XT1/10. It takes a bit of getting used to using the contrast detection focus, and it'll never be as fast as a DSLR, but definitely worth the money.

If you go for an 18-55 lens as the start point I doubt you will be disappointed and it's easy to sell on once the Fuji bug has well and truly bitten !

As for bodies I would say an XE2 for around £300 is the bare minimum if you want to see Fuji at its best. The older cameras are brilliant but you may find the firmware or slower electronic viewfinders off putting in the long run - an Xt10 or XT1 would be as good just more expensive.

I'm not knocking the old cameras it's just the firmware 4 really does provide a whole new experience in a better way.

Depends on your budget.
I had a load of Canon gear 7D and a load of L Glass but I get fed up not carrying it as it was too heavy so I sold the lot and bought an XT-1 and an 18-135 lens.
I love it I now take a camera with me.
The EVF since you ask is superb , my only criticism is AF speed compared to the Canon but I can live with that.
If you look at refurbs on the Fuji web site http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/refurbished-digital-cameras that should give you an idea

I had the same question a few months back. Might be worth searching for it. But anyway, I came down to either the X-E2 or X-T0 with firmware updates. I went with the X-T10 and don't regret it. I just works nicely, tho the size and button placements are a bit tricky unless you have tiny hands! Lens wise I went for 27mm as a great quality, less pricey, walkaround length, but that was just money talking. Once I had a few more readies then I went 18-55 OIS, 55-200 OIS and 23mm 1.4. The later pretty much stay on my camera. I also bought a £12-13 grip off ebay which enhances handling significantly, and a couple of 1/3 party batteries. I'm happy with the switch and my choices. The 27mm I am selling as it's too close to the 23mm. Both are good lenses, but the 23mm is just special (tho 3 times the price it should be!!)

The X-E2 is the gateway body if you want to start with relatively modern features - the latest firmware update puts it on par with (or ahead of) anything in the range other than the -Pro2. Although the -E2 is getting a little harder to find, the refurb deals a year ago were incredible (c.£270 body only).

The used market is very good for both bodies and lenses, it's generally a buyers market if you're prepared to hold out beyond the first example you see.

I was in same situation as you when I decided to move to Fuji X series. But at the time, I have had my X100 (classic) for over a year, the itch was to be able to get more Fujifilm look using wider range of angles. I went with the extreme lenses to complement the X100 (10-24 and 55-200, also 60mm macro)

As mentioned, X-E2 is a great camera to start with. Now after recent firmware update, it can even compete with X-T1. You need to know Fujifilm is a firm that believes in getting most out of hardware. They will provide firmware updates to even the oldest hardware. My X100 received AF speed update after X-A1 comes out.

So what you need to know is which sensor and processor in which body, then decide on which body style suits you. In the same generation of camera, focus and shooting speed is very similar. They go as follow:
1st gen CMOS: X100, X-A1
1st gen X-TRANS: X-Pro1, X-E1
2nd gen X-TRANS: X100S, X-E2, X-T1, X-T10, X100T, X-E2s
3rd gen X-TRANS: X-Pro2

Good answer everybody. Just to answer the other point about non-Fuji lenses - third party manufacturers don't seem to have gotten onto Fuji mount yet, so you are left with OEM options only. Which are all lovely albeit often quite expensive.

Good answer everybody. Just to answer the other point about non-Fuji lenses - third party manufacturers don't seem to have gotten onto Fuji mount yet, so you are left with OEM options only. Which are all lovely albeit often quite expensive.

Not quite true, there are several Samyang options (and lensbaby ones) - ALl these are manual though, so the only AF options are the Fuji ones

The X-E2 is the gateway body if you want to start with relatively modern features - the latest firmware update puts it on par with (or ahead of) anything in the range other than the -Pro2.

.... and xt1.

Used x100 for about £250 on eBay. What's to loose? If you don't get on with it just flip it on here.

Last edited:
Not quite true, there are several Samyang options (and lensbaby ones) - ALl these are manual though, so the only AF options are the Fuji ones
Yeah, sorry I don't usually look at the MF stuff so had discounted it! You are right of course.

Zeiss is AF and Samyang Manual, but both are Fuji mount.

Last edited:
I have a Fuji X-10 ( now superseded by the X-30 ) which is my go-everywhere pocket camera. At times the built in zoom lens is an advantage (for me) over the X100 which I also considered as a pocket camera.

I used to to have an X-Pro 1 but the AF was a sluggish and not particularly responsive. I understand it has improved with FW updates but I moved it on in favour of the X-T1. Which is a joy to use. Fuji XF lenses are really sharp.

An important early consideration and a good starting point is do you want a rangefinder style viewfinder or SLR style ?

I'm currently running a Fuji X system and Nikon in tandom but can't get rid of the FF just yet.

With the X-Pro 2 on the market and the imminent arrival of the X-T2 there are going to be a lot of good value X-Pro 1 / X-T1s for sale.

I really really fancy making a start with a compact system camera, and really don't want to go smaller than APSC sensor.

You specified Fuji but aren't you tempted to add the Sony A7 series to the list of possibilities? And at the other end of the scale I don't think there's a massive difference between MFT and APS-C which brings me to one of my main problems with the Fuji system as the Fuji's seems to be nearer the bulk of the Sony FF system but can't match it for ultimate quality and are bulkier than MFT but don't leave MFT far enough behind for image quality, if at all, IMO.

I'm a happy MFT and Sony A7 user and although the Fuji system looks nice I've decided that the main attraction for me comes down to the manual dials but when looking for high image quality in a small form or pretty good but not SOTA in an even smaller form I'd go either Sony or MFT depending on my priority. Indeed that's what I do :D

Unless you're 100% sure and have made your mind up that you want a Fuji I'd at least have a passing glance at MFT and Sony A7 and possibly the Sony A6000 series too.

On the general DSLR to CSC thing... You may just never look back. I would hate to go back to DSLR's now and I just love the smaller form factor (back to pretty much the size my cameras used to be in my 35mm days) and I love the in view histogram and manual focus aids.

Good luck choosing.

PS.
Just a quick PS on MFT not being SOTA. I think that at low to mid ISO's the IQ offered by MFT is excellent and far exceeds anything I got from 35mm film. So, if you rarely shoot at stratospheric ISO's MFT may be worth a look especially as some of the lenses are simply outstanding and even very good wide open, much more so than many DSLR lenses.

Last edited:
The X100 is fab but a long way off where Fuji have got to now. The X-E2 with latest firmware or X-T10 are the obvious entry points (the X-T10 is essentially an X-T1 in cheaper clothing).

As for glass, no wrong answers really, they're all stellar. I'm a 23/56/90 guy myself, so 35-135 covered by 3 stunning lenses. The zooms are great too, if you'd rather go down that road.

You could buy the cheap as muck X-Pro1 with a few small primes (18mm 27mm 35mm 60mm), I owned an Xpro and sold it for some Nikon kit (D750), but couldn't resist grabbing another when they had the recentish promotion of £499 for the X-pro1 18mm , 27mm & leather case. I'll probably buy the 35 & 60 in the future. With a £10 adapter you could use your DSLR lenses manually, I quite enjoy using my D & AIS lenses on the Fuji occasionally.

Xpro1 will also give you the hybrid optical finder, which works very well imo.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Just to clarify, I'm not planning a 'move' to a CSC, this is an additional camera and a small number of lenses for occasional use. I picked Fuji because I like the look of em and they have a good reputation, I'm not into pixel peeping or MFT charts, I just want a camera I can use.

I'll look out for an offer on an xe2 meanwhile if I get desperate I'll pick up an x100 on an eBay rental deal.

I have an XE1 for sale if your interested.

I've had the X-E1 since it was introduced. Still have it. Am finding no need to move to the newer models. These go relatively cheap these days on the used market. I'd suggest getting your feet wet with one of the discontinued Fuji X cameras as way cheaper that way. As far as lenses, the kit zoom lens gets you most of what you need. In 35mm full frame terms, a 35mm lens would be a 23mm prime for the Fuji. A 135mm in full frame would be a 90mm prime for the Fuji. FWIW I preferred the electronic viewfinder on the X-E1 to the Pro and why I chose that over the Pro -- getting critical focus with the electronic viewfinder is much easier than with the optical finder IME with the manual lenses. I also prefer the Fuji's controls and layout as more traditional and intuitive like 35mm film SLRs and Rangefinders.

The Fuji-X lenses I use are the 18mm f/2 and the 35mm f/1.4. The 35 f/1.4 is an absolute gem and is equivalent to a 52mm on a conventional 35mm full frame. The 18mm is very good, but has a little more orthoscopic distortions than I like. The Fuji 23mm would probably be a better choice for a bit wider without so much off-axis distortions. Actually, the 23mm Fuji could probably replace both my Fuji primes and be the best alternative. If I had to do it all over again I would either get just the 23 f/1.4 Fuji prime, or the kit Zoom, then all the rest of the lenses would be the manual Nikons (or Canons or Minoltas or Olympus, which ever you prefer on the used market).

For other focal lengths, I decided to use manual focus primes. So very inexpensive to pick up great performing Nikon AI-s primes for $50-$150 each on Ebay that I have filled the rest of my needs with them instead. Most of the time I just set the lens to a desired aperture, and set the shutter to a desired speed, and let the camera adjust the ISO for exposure so all I concentrate on is the focusing. And with the stall of Nikon Primes and Zooms I just picked up a pristine Nikon FE (match needle full manual and aperture priority auto 60min-1/1000 sec) for under $60 and take advantage of 35mm film as well using the same lenses. The Nikon Lenses I have added to the stall are: 28mm f/2.5, 35mm f/2.8, 55mm f/2.8 Macro, 100mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4, 300mm f/4.5, 75-150mm f/3.5, 70-210 f/4. All these lenses cost me about the same as a single 23mm f/1.4 Fuji-X costs. As long as you stay away from the faster Nikon manual primes, and stay at f/2.8 and slower, prices are really cheap. I'm finding it no issue losing a single f-stop as the Fuji performs well at higher ISOs. So having a lot more fun minimizing my X primes and using the manual focus Nikons instead.

Whatever you decide....good luck and keep it fun!

Last edited:
Phil, I would seriously suggest you pick up up a couple of them and seeing how they feel.

Every now and again I get serious Fuji GAS as the images are so nice and then I go and have a play with them and walk away pretty quickly, I really don't like the feel or the UI.

Phil, I picked up an X-T1, 18-55 & 35mm f1.4 to run next to my 7D2/6D kit. It's different and it takes a bit of getting used to. I wanted something smaller and lighter than my SLR kit. I also wanted something the Mrs would use too. I love the EVF, the tilting screen and the old skool design. I'm looking forward to using it on the tube, getting some shots in various station on my to/from work.

I've been happy with the output from it so far, and haven't touched the big cameras since buying it.....

I currently have a 70D and a couple of L zooms and am considering one of two things, either get a 6D and use the lenses I have or go for a Fuji X-T1 or 2 if its arrival is imminent and parking the 70D. I'm mainly interested in street and landscape as subjects but I prefer to take shots on the move rather than set shots up. The attraction of the 6D is the FF quality, the Fuji is the lighter weight, the downside to the 6D is the weight, not much different to the 70D but I find it a bit of a slog if I'm carrying to 70-300 as well as the 24-105 and the 10-22 (I like zooms even though I accept that primes are better). The only Fuji I have used, and still use, is an X10 which is what attracts me to Fuji because I flike its flexibility but I want better IQ. So the question relates to the RAW side of the Fuji and how good it is, the X10 only hints at what is possible. Do any X-T1 users use it regularly and does it match the quality from a DSLR like the 70D? I know the JPEGs are excellent but I will want to shoot RAW and want it to be good.

Sorry to ramble on.

Right then, as it appears I've now officially dipped my toe in the water (thanks to Tim).

It only occurred to me after agreeing the sale, I've never liked shutter button focussing, can I use BBF on an XE1?

I've had a bit of a look through the manual, I can reassign some buttons, but it's not clear if I can focus with mi thumb.

Right then, as it appears I've now officially dipped my toe in the water (thanks to Tim).

It only occurred to me after agreeing the sale, I've never liked shutter button focussing, can I use BBF on an XE1?

I've had a bit of a look through the manual, I can reassign some buttons, but it's not clear if I can focus with mi thumb.

Afl button. Can also put in manual focus then afl.

My X100 actually focuses better set to manual focus, and using afl.

Last edited:
Hi Phil welcome to the X camp I'm sure you will be impressed by the images not sure if you thinking of primes or zooms or maybe you just want it to be pocketable?
The XF 18mm f2 and the smaller XF 27mm f2.8 both make it a realistic pocket camera
If your looking at a zoom don't rule out either of the XC lenses both offer excellent image quality with built in stabilisation and are light weight too!

I got the X-E2. Originally, I had the 35mm 1.4 which was good but I never got on with 50mm equivalents so didn't use it much. Now I have a 17-55 which is great for what I use it for - silent church shoots but I can't yet see it anywhere near replacing my two D750s. Focus speed, intuitiveness and high iso usefullness.

Files are good but nowhere near the full frame goodies from the nikons. Especially in usual wedding conditions.

I have thought about the Sony route but, all the lenses cost an absolute fortune! I tried an A7S with a metabone adapter a friend uses - said it would definitely change my mind - it did. Focus "speed" or should I call it lens twitter trying to focus so, unless Sony lenses drop by half or I win the lotto, it aint happening.

I have thought about the Sony route but, all the lenses cost an absolute fortune! I tried an A7S with a metabone adapter a friend uses - said it would definitely change my mind - it did. Focus "speed" or should I call it lens twitter trying to focus so, unless Sony lenses drop by half or I win the lotto, it aint happening.

An exaggeration. IMO the 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 55mm are all reasonably priced considering the quality.

An exaggeration. IMO the 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 55mm are all reasonably priced considering the quality.

Apologies - was thinking of the 1.4 lenses as these are what I'm currently using (did ponder the 24-70 / 70-200 2.8's but they are in a price / league of their own)

Sigma now have the 35 1.4 art for sony. Haven't check the 85 1.4 sigma if it's availabe for sony but the sony - blimey!

Apologies - was thinking of the 1.4 lenses as these are what I'm currently using (did ponder the 24-70 / 70-200 2.8's but they are in a price / league of their own)

Sigma now have the 35 1.4 art for sony. Haven't check the 85 1.4 sigma if it's availabe for sony but the sony - blimey!

No Sigma don't. Not in FE mount.

This year I purchased a pair of X-pro 1 bodies when the price dropped, I use them with the 35 f2 and the 18 f2. I use them on my weddings for all of the peripheral documentary images but still use my 5D mark iii for the portraits and when I absolutely need to nail the image. These Fuji cameras have substantially reduced my workflow, correctly exposed the JPEGS SOOC are simply wonderful.

I know find that for all of my personal photography (around the house/kids/etc) these are the cameras that I reach for first. Theres something very special about them that i can't put into words.

Back