The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

As is often the way, plans change. I had wanted and X-T2, decided I couldn't afford it and that an X-T1 would be fine and would allow me to buy some lenses. Well I've gone and bought and XT20. That will be arriving very shortly, but is body only and I have no lenses yet. So the question I am now faced with is which lens to by first. For now I can only afford one of either the 18-55, or a prime like the 23 or 35. I am thinking the zoom will be more versatile and get me out there shooting with the new camera without being constrained by a fixed focal length. I can then save some more pennies and get a prime later.
Sounds like a great plan. The 18-55mm is excellent and very versatile.

I lasted a good while with just my X-T10 and the 18-55mm before cracking.

I say go for that.

As is often the way, plans change. I had wanted and X-T2, decided I couldn't afford it and that an X-T1 would be fine and would allow me to buy some lenses. Well I've gone and bought and XT20. That will be arriving very shortly, but is body only and I have no lenses yet. So the question I am now faced with is which lens to by first. For now I can only afford one of either the 18-55, or a prime like the 23 or 35. I am thinking the zoom will be more versatile and get me out there shooting with the new camera without being constrained by a fixed focal length. I can then save some more pennies and get a prime later.

Well it looks like you have the 18-55 in your mind already. It will pretty much cover most things. For me i went for the 35mm f2 prime because it is similar to a 50mm i had on my previous FF camera. I wanted something is small, fast aperture and make me think when composing. I know exactly what I want when switching to Fuji system.

Last edited:
Just a query as I await delivery of my X-T2 body, does/will the X-T2 come with latest updated firmware does anyone know ?

Regards;
Peter
I would think it'll depend on when the camera was built, so in all likelihood no. It's a quick and easy job though to upgrade the firmware.

Stephen;

I bet you your re-furb camera was totally immaculate/boxed as new when it arrived..? I bought a body a few yrs ago from the Fuji re-furb store and couldn't tell the difference between new....!

:)
Absolutely! Only difference was that it came in a generic Fuji refurb box, which actually had foam packing inside - better than standard even.

I know I'm still really new to the Fuji system, and a great system it is. One thing I have noticed though (and it's probably me or a setting), is that in standard (Provia) mode, images are really contrasty with quite blocked up shadows. I'm finding myself using +1/3 to 2/3 EV compensation just to open up the shadows a little without harming the highlights. Even more so in Velvia mode.

Is this normal of the X-Trans sensor or could anyone give me their advice / settings please ?

Last edited:
Ok head scratching time; my new XT2 arrived today, fitted a new Sandisk Ultra Plus 16gb SD card and formatted it in camera, did a we shoot with the collie dog, switched on laptop all fine viewing images there, but when I open Adobe Lightroom 5 it won't display/import any files....??

I checked my Adobe Lightroom it states; 'Your software is uo to date. No updates available at this time.'

Any idea's X shooters....?

Regards;
Peter

Ok head scratching time; my new XT2 arrived today, fitted a new Sandisk Ultra Plus 16gb SD card and formatted it in camera, did a we shoot with the collie dog, switched on laptop all fine viewing images there, but when I open Adobe Lightroom 5 it won't display/import any files....??

I checked my Adobe Lightroom it states; 'Your software is uo to date. No updates available at this time.'

Regards;
Peter

I know when I got the XT1, I need to update my lightroom to version 5.5 in order for LR to import the fuji RAW files.

I copied/pasted the jpg/raw files from Sandisk card onto a spare external hard drive, and still I can't import files into Lightroom 5 ?
It say's I've got version 5.7 installed.

This has never happened before, really don't know what's happening....?? Yikes

Last edited:
I copied/pasted the jpg/raw files from Sandisk card onto a spare external hard drive, and still I can't import files into Lightroom 5 ?
It say's I've got version 5.7 installed.

This has never happened before, really don't know what's happening....?? Yikes

Have you try copy the file to the internal HD on your computer and see can you import?

I know I'm still really new to the Fuji system, and a great system it is. One thing I have noticed though (and it's probably me or a setting), is that in standard (Provia) mode, images are really contrasty with quite blocked up shadows. I'm finding myself using +1/3 to 2/3 EV compensation just to open up the shadows a little without harming the highlights. Even more so in Velvia mode.

Is this normal of the X-Trans sensor or could anyone give me their advice / settings please ?
More normal with the Fuji profiles. Using Velvia film is very contrasty, so it goes without saying that the digital emulations will be likewise. If you check what's happening in Lightroom you will see that the raw files have had the shadow values increased.

Regards;
Peter
Your Lightroom might be up to latest, but what about Camera Raw? Do you use Lightroom CC? If so, check in the CC manager.

Have you try copy the file to the internal HD on your computer and see can you import?
Just tried that now, it see's there's a file ok, but won't show content, no display. It's obviously something to do with the new camera (XT2) being added I'm sure.

Cheers for that tip. Still head scratching...

Pete, just been doing a bit of research as I have cancelled my CC subscription for various reasons, it looks like LR6 stand alone supports the xpro2 which I have, so would imagine it also would be ok for the T2.

@macvisual You have 3 options upgrade to LR6 CC or buy the standalone version and still get the latest updates for about £100.

Or Use the Adobe DNG converter and then LR5 will recognise the XT2 files.

I went the standalone LR6 route myself and it works just fine on XT-2 raw files

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html
Ah right.... So can Adobe LR5 support this if you upgrade to the likes of version 6? And how about importing a JPG from the XT2 in LR 5, will this work ?
The jpeg will be fine Pete, upgrade just to be £60ish. You could always try Irident Transformer http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

You can just drop your raw files into it and it converts them to DNG a lot of people think you get better/sharper images than LR gives you.

Back