The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Shsmeless plug ive put an original Fuji XT10/20 grip and batteries in the accessories forum if anyone is interested.

Something tells me I should like this one Dave, but I just think it's a bit too dark for me. Everything else about it really works. It's a great capture, I just think it needs a little more work in PP (but then who am I??).
I sympathise, because I went back and forth quite a bit on that question. In the end I went with bolder, i.e. darker, but it may also be that our screens differ. Alternatively, you may simply be right :)

Bringing up the issue from the other night again - I have attached the following items to dropbox if anyone fancies having a go with editing them :)

Mainly image 9818 - I have attached the following:

Original RAF
Original DNG
Processed (quickly) - JPG
Processed (quickly) - TIFF

Feel free to process/give tips on sharpening techniques.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bmzjnxa5nqzjyuo/AADSLgDowB99PqqltjiasCqma?dl=0

Bringing up the issue from the other night again - I have attached the following items to dropbox if anyone fancies having a go with editing them :)

Original RAF
Original DNG

Just downloaded them. Mainly because I'm curious about this issue too rather than because I expect to be able to offer much help. Will report back later when I've had a chance to play.

Original RAF
Original DNG

Tom,

Here's a random RAF file I have uploaded from a set I took earlier in the year:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt5ulpnyshpyam6/DSCF3993.RAF?dl=0

Here is the resultant jpg:

https://flic.kr/p/Wq4z6G

Why don't you have a play with that Raw file and see how you get on?

In the meantime, I'll have a look at yours....

Just spotted a Fuji on countryfile of all places shooting jumping salmon.

Took a bit of watching and remembering old kit, but it was the X-T2 with 100-400

Last edited:
Just spotted a used xt2 power grip for £99 on the LCE website.

Original RAF
Original DNG

Heres is 9818, all I did was clarity, dropped the highlights and did Topaz detail.

Toms.jpg

Here's the river/canal & bridge....

To be honest, this is a nightmare scenario for me, blown out skies and dull as dishwater colours, so it needed some work (and I'm not great at this stuff)

Tom Green by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Thanks Steve, you’ve done a good job here but it does present a look that I often see in Fuji files, a look that I’m not overly fond of for landscapes!

I haven’t kept a single shot off the X-T2 because I like it, I only have shots from the camera for testing purposes.

You could swap it with my XT20, and not keep those shots too ;)

I haven’t kept a single shot off the X-T2 because I like it, I only have shots from the camera for testing purposes.
Tom,

I think I speak for us all when I say, in the nicest possible way, just sell it and move on.

If you're unhappy with it to the extent that you have not managed a single shot worth keeping (whereas with other cameras I assume you have?), then it's time to move on. You tried it, it didn't work out. Flogging a dead horse comes to mind and to me it doesn't appear you'll ever be happy enough to justify the cost of the gear.

Best regards

The Fujians [emoji16]

Tom,

I think I speak for us all when I say, in the nicest possible way, just sell it and move on.

If you're unhappy with it to the extent that you have not managed a single shot worth keeping (whereas with other cameras I assume you have?), then it's time to move on. You tried it, it didn't work out. Flogging a dead horse comes to mind and to me it doesn't appear you'll ever be happy enough to justify the cost of the gear.

Best regards

The Fujians [emoji16]

Tom I have to agree with the above, as you are always going to find fault with the X-T2.

@Tom Green, What are you looking for from the Raw files? Sharpening techniques or what people would do with colours and tones?

I had a little play with sharpening and can see you have to be very careful. Much above 30 was introducing bad artefacts. But to be honest, the file doesn't seem to need that much sharpening anyway. I hate over-sharpened images. I just squeezed the detail slider up a little, sharpness to 25. Masked off a fair bit. A little clarity and a smidge of dehaze. They look fine to me. Worth mentioning that the shot of the field is clearly shot in really awkward light and I think one issue with that shot is there is quite little contrast to play with in the details. The bridge shot is easier, I guess partly because there is less foliage close to the camera.

I'm in two minds with these. On the one hand I can see that you simply cannot process the files in the same was as a typical DSLR raw. Strange things happen if you do. On the other hand, I can see that there are techniques that seem to work okay.

Last edited:
Tom,

Best regards

The Fujians [emoji16]

Ian, well said to be honest. That’s also my line of thinking currently so I think that’s what I will do!

I will be back when they use a Bayer sensor haha.

Ps, I can imagine your post will attract several likes!

Ian, well said to be honest. That’s also my line of thinking currently so I think that’s what I will do!

I will be back when they use a Bayer sensor haha.

Ps, I can imagine your post will attract several likes!
I genuinely didn't write it for the likes. Observing your posts (and the replies) over the last few days / weeks has made it pretty clear that this is really the only likely course of action.

It's a shame it didn't work out as I love my little Fuji as others do theirs. You just need to find or go back to what works for you. It isn't Fuji, but I hope you do find what does work as going round in circles would be frustrating and expensive in equal measure.

All the best and if it helps, I'll give you £500 to move that piece of crap X-T2 on immediately [emoji6]

Cheers

Ian

Apologies if my post came across as flippant, I'm sure you'll find something, if you're open to DSLR I'd suggest the Nikon D750, were it not for the size/weight I'd still have mine.

I genuinely didn't write it for the likes. Observing your posts (and the replies) over the last few days / weeks has made it pretty clear that this is really the only likely course of action.

It's a shame it didn't work out as I love my little Fuji as others do theirs. You just need to find or go back to what works for you. It isn't Fuji, but I hope you do find what does work as going round in circles would be frustrating and expensive in equal measure.

All the best and if it helps, I'll give you £500 to move that piece of crap X-T2 on immediately [emoji6]

Cheers

Ian

No, no I know. You're right though, I think as long as I have this camera I will be looking out for this issue.

It is a shame but I am glad I have given it a go to be honest.

My only two options are, as mentioned by John a D750 or a Sony A7II (the more likely option).

D750 is my perfect camera with everything other than the size.

No absolutely not, didn't see it to be honest! As just mentioned, that camera is perfect in all but its size for me!
Cool.

Do be sure to get a feel for how the A7II is with lenses as I suspect being full frame the glass will be the same sort of size as Nikon ones, and the D750 is actually pretty small for a full frame, well at least I thought so at the time :D

Good luck with it all though - I've been through so many brand changes I really don't envy you.

No absolutely not, didn't see it to be honest! As just mentioned, that camera is perfect in all but its size for me!

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread in context of m4/3. When I bought an Olympus OMD for travel when I didn't want to carry FX gear, I took it over to asia, shot a load with it, loved it, got home, stuck everything on lightroom and then went looking for faults! It's stupid but it's kind of natural. You lug this big heavy camera around and then a little thing comes along and you want to know where you're losing out. And if you look, you'll find it. In the case of the OMD, I could see noise in the sky at base iso on longish exposures. That never happens on newish FX sensors, they just dump out files that are clean as a whistle whatever the circumstances. So going smaller in sensor size is always going to be some sort of compromise. The trans-x sensors are great in so many ways and sometimes punch above their weight but they don't bend physics and if you go looking for the difference between a Fuji file and that of a modern full frame camera, you will find it. If it bothers you and it won't go away, I'd just move on. It bothered me enough to ditch m4/3 a while back. Though I will say that in the cold light of day I do have some regrets, mainly because I've since used many of those images and of course they look great for actual prints at normal sizes. So it's not a rational thing but you do have to feel confident in your gear to enjoy using it so maybe it really is worth moving the Fuji on. I'll happily join the queue when you sell it on for a bargain price :)

As a long time Fuji user have to say I don't think they excel at landscapes, but quite the opposite for architecture, transport and low light subjects.
Don't do street or people, but seen plenty of good work too with that type of subject.

Think if I were mainly a landscape photographer I would want a full frame camera, couldn't fault my 5D mki or mkii
Not sure any crop camera is ideal for landscape work, but sure I will be pointed at some great stuff now

Cool.

Do be sure to get a feel for how the A7II is with lenses as I suspect being full frame the glass will be the same sort of size as Nikon ones, and the D750 is actually pretty small for a full frame, well at least I thought so at the time :D

Good luck with it all though - I've been through so many brand changes I really don't envy you.

I really like the ergonomics of the A7II having had a go of it.

In the last year I have had a Canon 7D, Sony A7 and Fuji X-T2. Didn't mind the A7 but wanted to see what the hype was about with Fuji.

A7ii is slower than the XT-2 but I can make a pretty lightweight kit out of it with the 16-35mm + Zeiss 55mm 1.8 then Adapt a Canon 70-200mm for longer stuff when I don't mind the bulk!

Thanks Steve, you’ve done a good job here but it does present a look that I often see in Fuji files, a look that I’m not overly fond of for landscapes!
To my way of thinking, it looks weird and artefacted, not least because it's trying to recover detail in a blown-out sky that would be better left alone.

Here's my version, but you won't be able to learn much from it at this size.

DSCF8732-IridientEdit-Edit
by dave.hallett on Talk Photography

Check out this version, and see whether you're happy with the detail in the foliage. If not, then I agree you're most likely going to be better off looking elsewhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjeck3pkjaoi1h8/DSCF8732-IridientEdit-Edit final 23Oct17.jpg?dl=0

To my way of thinking, it looks weird and artefacted, not least because it's trying to recover detail in a blown-out sky that would be better left alone.

Here's my version, but you won't be able to learn much from it at this size.

DSCF8732-IridientEdit-Edit
by dave.hallett on Talk Photography

Check out this version, and see whether you're happy with the detail in the foliage. If not, then I agree you're most likely going to be better off looking elsewhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjeck3pkjaoi1h8/DSCF8732-IridientEdit-Edit final 23Oct17.jpg?dl=0

Looks pretty “normal” to me.

Hi All - was taking a few snap shots of the dog in a Christmas hat (bear with me!) and when viewing the images I noticed 2 areas that are like small white lines on the image. Doesn't look like a single pixel but I imagine that's what they are. Any advice beyond sensor cleaning and pixel mapping? Camera is just out of warranty unfortunately. Thanks in advance - Dave

Back