The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So simple yet so beautiful. My first thought was that this would make a great mono, but then I decided that the subtle colours are what completed the photo. Top marks!
Aw thanks. That's very kind of you. I did think about the mono, partly because it might make the slightly burned area more acceptable, but I felt it would lose something too. Maybe another day I'll give it a go...

Yeah that was literally taken for testing purposes. Would have had my tripod if I hadn't forgot it. Will get some sorted this weekend then upload a new link.

EDIT: added another maybe more appropriate image.
Tom, I've given the house a very quick edit, possibly slightly oversharpening in my quest for maximum detail, but I don't see any worms, halos or other obvious artefacts.

I'll message you with the Dropbox link, as there's no point in trying to judge it at forum sizes.

Just saw this in your 52, and what a cracking shot too.

Thanks, Dave (y)

Very nice Fujigraph Ma'am, well composed with a good lead in to the main subject, nice sky, and some good colours.(y)

George.

Thanks, George - the sky was a bonus after some very grotty days :)

The weather for this shot was not exactly congenial. The wind was strong and I kept having to put the camera away because it was raining too hard. But it made for some great skies, well worth it.

This is with the 18-55 kit, because I needed the longer length and didn't want to change too much, although I went back to the 10-24 later in the day. For this kind of shot, I doubt anyone would see a difference. Maybe printed very large...

Majestic
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Lovely, Dave. Looks like a duotoned B&W shot and a mono conversion would lose that, even if toned either way.

Lovely, Dave. Looks like a duotoned B&W shot and a mono conversion would lose that, even if toned either way.
Cheers Nod! And you're right - if I converted to mono, then superimposed a gradient going from blue to yellow across the shot, the result would probably be very similar. Hadn't spotted that!

So, it's now just over a year since I joined the X community, so I though I would post a little "retrospective" of my favourite images from the year (in no particular order)...

On The Cobb by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Millenium Bridge by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Shard b/w by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The Forest by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Sunrise in Uppsala by Ash Smith, on Flickr

What's interesting me here is I kind of thought that I took images mainly in a couple of genres or "styles", but my faves come from a variety.

Last edited:
X raw studio out now on Mac ,Fuji free software,same as in camera raw processing but can use on your mac

Roll on Febuary when it comes out for Windows as I will have that on this laptop and use the other laptop with Linux and Darktable :)

Am I right in saying that there are no longer 10% voucher codes for refurb store?

So, it's now just over a year since I joined the X community, so I though I would post a little "retrospective" of my favourite images from the year (in no particular order)...

What's interesting me here is I kind of thought that I took images mainly in a couple of genres or "styles", but my faves come from a variety.

A brilliant set, great to see them again together - you're definitely getting the best out of your kit :)

Wonderful shots all, and across a few different styles, well done.

You know whats better is that you;re using the X-T10, which on such a gear centric forum\thread really shows those of us (yes very much me!) that its the person behind the camera, not whats in your hands.

Last edited:

You know whats better is that you;re using the X-T10, which on such a gear centric forum\thread really shows those of us (yes very much me!) that its the person behind the camera, not whats in your hands.

Thanks John, yes the differing styles surprised me a touch - I really expected when I came up with the idea of doing my "fave five" of the year that i'd have all b/w architecture or more of the bleached out cityscape stuff!

And yes, whilst I have joked about about it being time for an upgrade, in real terms theres nothing I've asked of the X-T10 that it hasn't delivered in spades.

Thanks John, yes the differing styles surprised me a touch - I really expected when I came up with the idea of doing my "fave five" of the year that i'd have all b/w architecture or more of the bleached out cityscape stuff!

And yes, whilst I have joked about about it being time for an upgrade, in real terms theres nothing I've asked of the X-T10 that it hasn't delivered in spades.

Nothing wrong with the X-T10...it's an X-T1 without the weather sealing, same IQ after all! I upgraded from an X-T1 to X-T20 and love it!

I can see for someone such as yourself then Terry, it may be a big plus for you and a big driver to upgrade to such a body should it be available. Curious to know if you've tried the Olympus bodies and if so, why you chose to go Fuji anyway without the IBIS?

I've pretty much switched to M43 for the time being. The IBIS and nice cheap and cheerful lens selection attracted me, I just can't afford the Fuji lenses I actually desire. I'm never tied to any make or model, and I will always be that way. 2 years ago I was shooting Nikon FX, gave Fuji a try and really like the system, but like I say, the tastier lenses are just out of reach for me. I got a Panasonic G80, an Olympus Em5 a 25mm 1.7 prime and a 40-150 lens to start with. I may well return to Fuji at some point, but for now I am actually enjoying the change. I love the IBIS, it's amazing. I can shoot handheld at 1/4 and get sharp night shots. With the G80 I can shoot 4K video for less than half the price of an X-T2 [I got a great deal on the camera brand new for less than some used sites have them] and I can actually look forward to buying some primes and macro lenses, as the ones I fancy are really cheap compared to Fuji's. I decided to ignore all the BS about sensor size, APSC users really shouldn't get in on that as there's really very little difference. When people rant about M43 being too small, they're comparing to full frame, and even then they are exaggerating. Sure, at equivilant ISO levels M43 files can be a little noisier, but it's also easy clean up. And dare I say, but when noise is present it just looks like noise, not smeared or smudged pixels like some cameras do at higher levels. It's easier to get sharper shots wide open with primes because of the difference in DOF too.

Apart from physical size of the bodies they are the very same, the sensor is identical.

Last edited:

What a cracking set of images you have posted here love the quality of them all:fuji:(y)

Apart from physical size of the bodies they are the very same, the sensor is identical.

As an X-T10 user myself, I must quibble very slightly :). The X-T1 has a better viewfinder, better weather resistance and I believe a somewhat better buffer for high-speed bursts. There's also a dial for ISO, if that floats yer boat.

But once you get the pictures out of the camera, they are indeed exactly the same. The X-T10 with kit zoom is amazing value, and I still take most of my pictures with that combo.

I will admit, I do pixel peep and if I’m spending £1000 on a body it needs to be able to provide crisp images when processed. I see no reason I shouldn’t be able to pixel peep when spending that amount of money.

Also, what’s the point in an amazing sharp 16mm lens for example when you can’t even process sharp images out of it?

Totally agree with this.

I've pretty much switched to M43 for the time being. The IBIS and nice cheap and cheerful lens selection attracted me, I just can't afford the Fuji lenses I actually desire. I'm never tied to any make or model, and I will always be that way. 2 years ago I was shooting Nikon FX, gave Fuji a try and really like the system, but like I say, the tastier lenses are just out of reach for me. I got a Panasonic G80, an Olympus Em5 a 25mm 1.7 prime and a 40-150 lens to start with. I may well return to Fuji at some point, but for now I am actually enjoying the change. I love the IBIS, it's amazing. I can shoot handheld at 1/4 and get sharp night shots. With the G80 I can shoot 4K video for less than half the price of an X-T2 [I got a great deal on the camera brand new for less than some used sites have them] and I can actually look forward to buying some primes and macro lenses, as the ones I fancy are really cheap compared to Fuji's. I decided to ignore all the BS about sensor size, APSC users really shouldn't get in on that as there's really very little difference. When people rant about M43 being too small, they're comparing to full frame, and even then they are exaggerating. Sure, at equivilant ISO levels M43 files can be a little noisier, but it's also easy clean up. And dare I say, but when noise is present it just looks like noise, not smeared or smudged pixels like some cameras do at higher levels. It's easier to get sharper shots wide open with primes because of the difference in DOF too.

Glad you're loving it, I used to have an Olympus EM1 way back and the glass was great, small too :)

In fact the styling and dials was a big part in why I was so confident moving to Fuji

Unless things have changed isn't it a X2 crop though? Part of my issue with it was that apart from the 75mm 1.8 nothing gave my the bokeh I enjoyed and at 150mm equivalent it was too long sometimes, much like my Fuji 90mm f2.

All that said it gave some cracking images and the IBIS is great, it was too big a jump for me from full frame.

Last edited:
As an X-T10 user myself, I must quibble very slightly :). The X-T1 has a better viewfinder, better weather resistance and I believe a somewhat better buffer for high-speed bursts. There's also a dial for ISO, if that floats yer boat.

But once you get the pictures out of the camera, they are indeed exactly the same. The X-T10 with kit zoom is amazing value, and I still take most of my pictures with that combo.

You know what I mean, end results will be identical ;)

Glad you're loving it, I used to have an Olympus EM1 way back and the glass was great, small too :)

In fact the styling and dials was a big part in why I was so confident moving to Fuji

Unless things have changed isn't it a X2 crop though? Part of my issue with it was that apart from the 75mm 1.8 nothing gave my the bokeh I enjoyed and at 150mm equivalent it was too long sometimes, much like my Fuji 90mm f2.

All that said it gave some cracking images and the IBIS is great, it was too big a jump for me from full frame.

It is x2 compared to Full frame, only .5x in the difference between MFT and APSC. Tbh the only difference I'm noticing is the crop ratio of the images. And since I used to crop most of my Fuji images closer to that style of crop anyway, really very little in it. Interesting fact: If you crop to 1:1, an APSC loses a lot more pixels than an MFT file.

I'm getting lovely bokeh with a 25mm 1.7, one of the cheapest primes I have ever bought. I directly compared it to the Fuji 35 1.4 on the X-T1 and there's so little in it at F2 on both, you'd have to be real pedantic to have a preference.

I think everyone who compares sensor sizes should be forced to watch this video:

He makes some great points. High end medium format users, and Full format in particular, scoff at 35mm FF, it is tiny to them. The differences between FF, APSC and M43 are nothing compared to the difference between FF and really large sensors.

Last edited:
Great video that, watched it some time ago.
Guess I'm just pedantic ;)
Though at the time I went from full frame directly to M43 so not that hard to tell the difference.

Great video that, watched it some time ago.
Guess I'm just pedantic ;)
Though at the time I went from full frame directly to M43 so not that hard to tell the difference.

Shot FX myself for 5 years, I used to crop the s**t out of my images just because I could :D Now I'm a lot more selective about crops, it keeps me disciplined :)

MFT is a fantastic little system, and lenses like the 45/1.8 are superb value. However, there is a trade-off and I found a stop worse high ISO (than Fuji) and more noise at base ISO, particularly when lifting shadows. But that won't be an issue for everyone, and the system is very popular, obviously :)

Edit: Forgot, the E-M1 II is a monster too, spec wise. Tried it when it was first released at the LCE show in Southampton.

MFT is a fantastic little system, and lenses like the 45/1.8 are superb value. However, there is a trade-off and I found a stop worse high ISO (than Fuji) and more noise at base ISO, particularly when lifting shadows. But that won't be an issue for everyone, and the system is very popular, obviously :)

Edit: Forgot, the E-M1 II is a monster too, spec wise. Tried it when it was first released at the LCE show in Southampton.

AT least a stop worse, even than the X-T1, but my plan is to stay low as much as possible. Even with the Fuji I never ventured above 1600 much. At base there is a tad, but the funny thing is, there is little difference between 200 and 800, where other sensors get progressively worse, M43 seems to stall until around 1600. Just like Fuji's issues though, there's loads of work arounds. I'm delighted my cheap ass old yongnuo 560 that I have used for Nikon and Fuji, works fine with both the Olympus and Panasonic :) Gawd, i sound such a cheap skate :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
X raw studio out now on Mac ,Fuji free software,same as in camera raw processing but can use on your mac

Bit disappointed with X raw studio to be honest. Having an X-T2, X Pro 2 and X100F, I was rather hoping I could use it to process all the raw files given that are all produced from the same sensor / chip etc, but no, the XT2 will only process files created on an XT-2, so that means, I'm going to be stuffed on those produced on the X100F and when they do release the XPRO2 Firmware in Dec, I'm going to have to swap cameras attached to the Mac just to process a different file from the same shoot if I use more than one body.

Last edited:
That's because they push the image back to the body to process, a bit odd but they've claimed that processing of some simulations can only be done in camera, personally I think that is nonsense and they simply want to protect one of their strongest selling points and I cannot blame them.

That's because they push the image back to the body to process, a bit odd but they've claimed that processing of some simulations can only be done in camera, personally I think that is nonsense and they simply want to protect one of their strongest selling points and I cannot blame them.

I understand, but it would not be a huge leap to allow what are in effect identical raw formats on identical chipsets, be processed on any compatible body.
I get the need to protect their IP, but a small step to allow much improved workflow (for me at least!).

*also noticed the X100F will get the same capability in the December update.

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah it would make sense, I suppose there are other considerations such as image size and exif data.

To be honest it's not something I've tried but could one simply not copy a raw file back to the camera and do the simulation in body manually?

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah it would make sense, I suppose there are other considerations such as image size and exif data.

To be honest it's not something I've tried but could one simply not copy a raw file back to the camera and do the simulation in body manually?

You can, but that's the same limitation (ie the X100F raw to the X100F, XT2 to the XT2 etc). The software makes pushing back to camera for processing much slicker, so I'm grateful for that, just wish I didn't have to juggle all three bodies to process all the images :)

AT least a stop worse, even than the X-T1, but my plan is to stay low as much as possible. Even with the Fuji I never ventured above 1600 much. At base there is a tad, but the funny thing is, there is little difference between 200 and 800, where other sensors get progressively worse, M43 seems to stall until around 1600. Just like Fuji's issues though, there's loads of work arounds. I'm delighted my cheap ass old yongnuo 560 that I have used for Nikon and Fuji, works fine with both the Olympus and Panasonic :) Gawd, i sound such a cheap skate :ROFLMAO:

I'm still using the Yongnuos as well :D Brilliant little (big!) flashes!

Bit of mono from Newgale. This shot is the reason that, rather against my better judgement, I changed lenses in the middle of a beach with a howling wind and light rain, although I did try to do it in my camera bag using my body for shelter! The stuff happening on the horizon was just too interesting, and 24mm was not cutting it.

Shipping forecast

Bit of mono from Newgale. This shot is the reason that, rather against my better judgement, I changed lenses in the middle of a beach with a howling wind and light rain, although I did try to do it in my camera bag using my body for shelter! The stuff happening on the horizon was just too interesting, and 24mm was not cutting it.

Shipping forecast

"Excellent Fujigraph Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

The weather for this shot was not exactly congenial. The wind was strong and I kept having to put the camera away because it was raining too hard. But it made for some great skies, well worth it.

This is with the 18-55 kit, because I needed the longer length and didn't want to change too much, although I went back to the 10-24 later in the day. For this kind of shot, I doubt anyone would see a difference. Maybe printed very large...

Love seeing the sun rays coming through on this. Something I've always wanted to capture but failed!! Good work.

Something tells me I should like this one Dave, but I just think it's a bit too dark for me. Everything else about it really works. It's a great capture, I just think it needs a little more work in PP (but then who am I??).

Back