The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm looking at maybe purchasing a used 16-55. My thinking behind it is it will cover the majority of lengths I commonly use. Is this a sensible buy? or should I build up a set primes? I loved my 23 f1.4 and stupidly sold it, but now money is a factor, I would like to add to my 56 1.2

I will be second shooting 14 weddings this year, plus some interior design, studio portraits and pet photography. I can hire a 50-140 (Which I love) for the animal stuff, but I'm stuck for ideas with the wider stuff.

Any input would be great

Last edited:
I'm looking at maybe purchasing a used 16-55. My thinking behind it is it will cover the majority of lengths I commonly use. Is this a sensible buy? or should I build up a set primes? I loved my 23 f1.4 and stupidly sold it, but now money is a factor, I would like to add to my 56 1.2

I will be second shooting 14 weddings this year, plus some interior design, studio portraits and pet photography. I can hire a 50-140 (Which I love) for the animal stuff, but I'm stuck for ideas with the wider stuff.

Any input would be great
It’s a good lens but in my opinion not worth the increase in price and weight over the 18-55 except the extra at the wide end. One of my great disappointments when I briefly owned one was the fact that it was not internally zooming.

But considering the new X-H1 has IBIS this lens may be more appealing to a lot of people soon, so if you're considering buying one, now might be the time to do so.

Any input would be great

I prefer to shoot primes but found this lens excellent for weddings. Keep an eye on shutter speed as there is no is but other than that you can’t go wrong. For weddings etc I would choose it every time over the 18-55 as that’s a stop slower at the long end and for me, that aperture doesn’t quite cut it for what you need

It’s a good lens but in my opinion not worth the increase in price and weight over the 18-55 except the extra at the wide end. One of my great disappointments when I briefly owned one was the fact that it was not internally zooming.

Few, if any, Fuji lenses have created the "love it or hate it" reaction that the 16-55 f2.8 has. My reasons for selling my 18-55 to buy it were these and I would never go back

It does give me that 2 mm extra at the wide end, where 2mm extra focal length is much more significant than I thought it would be, it's a constant f2.8 and it is sharp wide open.

When fitted to my X-T1, it's shape fits my hand beautifully and it's weight stabilises it more than you would think. Certainly enough to get shutter speeds low enough to get sharp portraits of human beings who have small inadvertent body movements anyway.

One other advantage it has is that when doing event photography or similar group photography, which I now do only rarely, is that the ability to go from 16 to 55 mm means that it is possible to get a set of shots of a group of four friends, the two couples and four individual head shots in one hit.

Few, if any, Fuji lenses have created the "love it or hate it" reaction that the 16-55 f2.8 has. My reasons for selling my 18-55 to buy it were these and I would never go back

It does give me that 2 mm extra at the wide end, where 2mm extra focal length is much more significant than I thought it would be, it's a constant f2.8 and it is sharp wide open.

When fitted to my X-T1, it's shape fits my hand beautifully and it's weight stabilises it more than you would think. Certainly enough to get shutter speeds low enough to get sharp portraits of human beings who have small inadvertent body movements anyway.

One other advantage it has is that when doing event photography or similar group photography, which I now do only rarely, is that the ability to go from 16 to 55 mm means that it is possible to get a set of shots of a group of four friends, the two couples and four individual head shots in one hit.

The 16-55 compared with the 18-55 - the latter is £250 cheaper (refurbed), 345g lighter, 36mm shorter and has IS. What's not to like?

The 16-55 compared with the 18-55 - the latter is £250 cheaper (refurbed), 345g lighter, 36mm shorter and has IS. What's not to like?

If you see those attributes of the 18-55 as more important than those which I stated as being important to me with the 16-55 in my post, then absolutely nothing. That is the beauty of being given a choice.

Apologies if this has been covered. Long thread!!

Anyone got experience of using bluetooth with the X-E3 or X-H1? Does it provide instant connection with the iOS app? Does it work well (and quickly)?

I currently use an XT-2, and find connection to be a PITA, due to having to switch Wi-fi connection on mobile... and occasionally forgetting to set camera in bulb mode first.

Anyone want to have a cheap dabble with macro? I've just put my Oshiro lens and fuji adapter up for sale but it's in the Nikon sale section because of lens fitting.

And there's my issue in a nutshell! I'm worried about it's low light capabilities compared to the 23 1.4

People can debate the pros and cons of zooms vs primes till the cows come home (and often do) but if you've ever been on a photography forum you know what they are already.

I think it ultimately comes down to what you prefer to use, especially if you are doing weddings, being comfortable with your gear is going to be far more important than any extra stop or pixel of sharpness. Only you know which way to go.

Apologies if this has been covered. Long thread!!

Anyone got experience of using bluetooth with the X-E3 or X-H1? Does it provide instant connection with the iOS app? Does it work well (and quickly)?

I currently use an XT-2, and find connection to be a PITA, due to having to switch Wi-fi connection on mobile... and occasionally forgetting to set camera in bulb mode first.
It's still a faff, you still have switch the wi fi on your phone, the only thing I can see the bluetooth does is send a notification to your phone to inform you to switch to the cameras wifi !
I thought it would be an "always on" connection, it is not.

It's still a faff, you still have switch the wi fi on your phone, the only thing I can see the bluetooth does is send a notification to your phone to inform you to switch to the cameras wifi !

Really? Oh man, that's pants. It was an extra feature which might have pushed me to get a X-H1. I guess not then. *sigh*

Thanks for reply.

And there's my issue in a nutshell! I'm worried about it's low light capabilities compared to the 23 1.4

With the prime being a full stop faster than the zoom, it wins hands down for low light BUT, only at 23mm.

Nice photo George. Perhaps the shadows could be pulled slightly to bring out a bit more detail in those buildings along the front?

Nice photo George. Perhaps the shadows could be pulled slightly to bring out a bit more detail in those buildings along the front?

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

With the prime being a full stop faster than the zoom, it wins hands down for low light BUT, only at 23mm.

@NickTB

F1.4 to F2.8 is a couple stops. However it’s either 2 bodies with primes or 1 with 2.8 zoom. Obviously good to have 2nd body anyway.

Last edited:

Any input would be great
MPB had a used one for sale last time i looked
i bought the 16-55mm few months ago apart from no IS its a great bit of glass

met up with some old friends on Friday for a beer at Monument. got up there (600 odd steps) probably i little too early to catch the best light. unfortunately the 23mm f1.4 was too big to get through the wire safety fencing - hence the square crop. i did notice another guy there with an x-t2 and the 18-55 did fit through the fencing.

insta1-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr
cool shot i like the square crop and the tones in this

Great shot. I lived in there for a short while a few years back. Lovely place and some excellent conversion work.
thanks a lot Ian
its a great building and the apartments are a great size ...i have a friend that stays in one of the apartments

That's rubbish. I only spotted the Bluetooth thing on the x-e3 a couple of days ago and it got me thinking... Now my dreams are dashed!

In fairness, I don't really have an issue with WiFi switching... I just use the "pull down from top" menu rather than faffing about in settings etc... But still, what a pointless implementation of Bluetooth...

Back