The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Does anyone use their XT3 for filming? I'm hoping to start on my trip to Japan and Korea however I'm not quite sure if I need a Gimbel or a different lens?

At the moment I use the 23 f2, 10-24 and 18-55.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I bought a Feiyutech a2000 + dual grip but have no time to use it (hence it's in the classifieds). I did a lot of research and a few test videos without any stabilisation on the XT-3, for me a gimbal would be a must especially on a fantastic trip such as yours. Obviously the problem is it adds to the size and weight. I had an XH-1 and the stabilisation for filming was great when handheld, I changed to the XT-3 for the improved focussing speed with stills.

Last edited:
Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of one of the many old boats scattered about the beach that have just been Left To Rot.
In the background you can see a few other things scattered around the beach that have just been Left Behind.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty type presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/950th @ F8 ISO-200, Handheld.

Things Left Behind (19) (Dungeness)-03266
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of one of the many old boats scattered about the beach that have just been Left To Rot.
In the background you can see a few other things scattered around the beach that have just been Left Behind.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty type presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/950th @ F8 ISO-200, Handheld.

Things Left Behind (19) (Dungeness)-03266
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Love that one George......

Loving these as they are, in colour. Also, in my current frame of mind, I would be excited to see them in mono.
Really love the magnificent desolation of all of these!

Thanks guys. I did do a few monos, not sure they worked as the light wasn't quite working, it's not far from me - in fact I can see the quarry from work, so I will be popping back a lot I suspect!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Feiyutech a2000 + dual grip but have no time to use it (hence it's in the classifieds). I did a lot of research and a few test videos without any stabilisation on the XT-3, for me a gimbal would be a must especially on a fantastic trip such as yours. Obviously the problem is it adds to the size and weight. I had an XH-1 and the stabilisation for filming was great when handheld, I changed to the XT-3 for the improved focussing speed with stills.

Thanks for that, I realise I probably need a Gimbel at the moment I'm torn between the feiyu and zhiyu.
I did consider a XH1 before going for my XT3 but sizing and speed were important for me.

I'll have a look at your classified!

Can someone that's used either an X-H1 or an X-T2 and now has the X-T3 give an honest assessment on how much improved the AF is on the latter, more especially the AF-C and tracking for wildlife etc. I have an X-H1 which I love for most things, but I find trying to shoot my two dogs running around or fast flitting birds on trees / branches etc. the AF-C is OK (Ish) in decent light, but really takes a hit and get's quite sluggish in poorer light. In those instances I generally reach for my Nikon D500 which absolutely murders the X-H1 for initial AF acquisition and tracking (even when I'm shooting at ISO 12.800). Indeed even my "lowly" Olympus EM1 MK II with either the 40-150 F2.8 or the 300mm F4, bests the X-H1 for AF speed and acquisition, although accuracy is no where near the D500. I've tried all the AF custom settings on the X-H1 and none come near.

As much as I love the Nikon D500, and it's a superb camera, I don't really want to run 3 systems anymore, and compared to the Fuji and the 100-400, the D500 and 200-500 is absolutely huge and much heavier, so was thinking about dropping the Nikon (again) and concentrating more on the Fuji and M4/3 systems going forward. I've read a lot of reviews etc. which state the AF on the X-T3 is light years ahead of the older generation Fuji cameras, and that it matches or indeed beats the D500. If that's the case, then it must be a really major upgrade as the D500 currently just obliterates my X-H1 under very similar circumstances. Does anyone have any real experience and perhaps have done some comparison on the X-T3 vs the D500 ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Can someone that's used either an X-H1 or an X-T2 and now has the X-T3 give an honest assessment on how much improved the AF is on the latter, more especially the AF-C and tracking for wildlife etc. I have an X-H1 which I love for most things, but I find trying to shoot my two dogs running around or fast flitting birds on trees / branches etc. the AF-C is OK (Ish) in decent light, but really takes a hit and get's quite sluggish in poorer light. In those instances I generally reach for my Nikon D500 which absolutely murders the X-H1 for initial AF acquisition and tracking (even when I'm shooting at ISO 12.800). Indeed even my "lowly" Olympus EM1 MK II with either the 40-150 F2.8 or the 300mm F4, bests the X-H1 for AF speed and acquisition, although accuracy is no where near the D500. I've tried all the AF custom settings on the X-H1 and none come near.

As much as I love the Nikon D500, and it's a superb camera, I don't really want to run 3 systems anymore, and compared to the Fuji and the 100-400, the D500 and 200-500 is absolutely huge and much heavier, so was thinking about dropping the Nikon (again) and concentrating more on the Fuji and M4/3 systems going forward. I've read a lot of reviews etc. which state the AF on the X-T3 is light years ahead of the older generation Fuji cameras, and that it matches or indeed beats the D500. If that's the case, then it must be a really major upgrade as the D500 currently just obliterates my X-H1 under very similar circumstances. Does anyone have any real experience and perhaps have done some comparison on the X-T3 vs the D500 ?
Since i've switched to the XT-3 i've only tested it at the dimly lit skate park on the South Bank for moving subjects and so far the AF is proving to be very reliable, fast and an improvement over the XH-1.

Have you considered selling the Nikon and M4/3 gear and going XT-3 + 200mm f2 + 1.4TC ? Check out Jeff Carter for what's possible with fast moving objects.

https://www.macleanphotographic.com/aboutus/

I haven't tested it with the 50-140 yet, couple of shots here using less than ideal lenses 56 f/1.2 and the 16-55 f/2.8 as I just grabbed these shots whilst passing.

South Bank 11th Nov-1 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

South Bank Skate-1 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice Fujigraph, and a great idea.(y)

George.

When will they learn, people don't want cashback they want transparent simple pricing.

Two things stick the fear of god up Susie ( Poor thing ) Rain and Snow. When we got her from the RSPCA they think some fools treated her bad and now hates those two things, so an indoor shot of my lovely little girl. X-T3 + XF 90mm f2 wide open.

Portrait of Beauty by Dave, on Flickr

Managed to get out with the picture making machine today.... My local lake has the River Colne running behind it, which I love to both fish and photograph.

I think I prefer the B&W, but would welcome feedback. T2 & 10-24 with the camera resting on the bank (I thought my tripod was in the car but it wasn't :banghead:

DSCF3064 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF3064_BW by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

May have a couple more later...

Managed to get out with the picture making machine today.... My local lake has the River Colne running behind it, which I love to both fish and photograph.

I think I prefer the B&W, but would welcome feedback. T2 & 10-24 with the camera resting on the bank (I thought my tripod was in the car but it wasn't :banghead:

I think I prefer the mono, but perhaps a bit more contrasty?

Much prefer the mono, as for me, it`s a lot less "messy" (for want of a better word), and adds to the feeling of coldness.

@Jelster...... How are you finding the 10-24? I’m just about to pick one up from the classifieds. Been after one for a while.

I also prefer the mono version, and the 2nd rendering. Just sits better with me.

@Jelster...... How are you finding the 10-24? I’m just about to pick one up from the classifieds. Been after one for a while.

I also prefer the mono version, and the 2nd rendering. Just sits better with me.

I love it. It's my go to lens for every day stuff, I also have the 16mm which I like to use from time to time. At 24mm on a crop body it gives a nice POV, and at 10mm it's nice and wide without being (too) distorted. Colour rendition is excellent, I did a shot of my neighbours GSD using it which she had framed.

Attachments

• Zara.jpg
    Zara.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 23
With a bit of light on offer, me & Mrs J decided to visit the lake again today.

I managed to capture a Redwing for the first time ever, so was quite pleased with myself, even if it wasn't a great image. The usual subjects were also out to play...

Redwing
Redwing by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The regular Robin shot....
Robin by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Black Headed Gulls that flew off in a panic for some reason
Mayhem by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

There were a pair of GC Grebes and I was hoping to show some pairing up rituals, but they stopped as we got there...
Grebe by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

A fine looking Cormorant in breeding plumage..
Cormorant by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

And the lake has so many Coots, but this one looked nice in the low sunlight.
Coot by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

It was great to get out with the camera, other than yesterday, seems like ages since I've had it in my hand.

With a bit of light on offer, me & Mrs J decided to visit the lake again today.

I managed to capture a Redwing for the first time ever, so was quite pleased with myself, even if it wasn't a great image. The usual subjects were also out to play...

Redwing
Redwing by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The regular Robin shot....
Robin by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Black Headed Gulls that flew off in a panic for some reason
Mayhem by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

There were a pair of GC Grebes and I was hoping to show some pairing up rituals, but they stopped as we got there...
Grebe by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

A fine looking Cormorant in breeding plumage..
Cormorant by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

And the lake has so many Coots, but this one looked nice in the low sunlight.
Coot by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

It was great to get out with the camera, other than yesterday, seems like ages since I've had it in my hand.

"Excellent" set of Fujigraphs, nuff said.(y)

George.

Sorry Double Post.:eek:

George.

Last edited:
Back