Fuji X-T4

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
I finally got my hands on the fabulous Fuji X-T4. Charged the battery and took some shots around the house. I get snapping more tomorrow in the garden.

DSCF2007.jpg

The battery grip is larger than I first imagined, but provides a good stable hold. I'll be very interested to see how the much written about image stabiliser works!

I'll keep you posted.

This feels great in the hand, it's a little bigger than my X-T2 which is not surprising. The hand grip suits my Hands perfectly. I am amazed at how quiet the shutter is, you can set it to silent if you wish.

You need to charge the battery/batteries in camera, there is a dedicated charger as an extra if you so wish. I am sill playing so the learning curve will take me a while.

The flip out screen is a real joy, I had one on my EOS80 and I'm really pleased it now features on theX-T4.

This from our rear garden:
Dandelion.jpg

This was with my 80mm macro, 1/350th, f8.0, ISO 200. It says more about the lens than the camera, but I'm happy.

Last edited:
This is my little dogs ball, a tight crop with my 18-55mm, 1/150th, f8.0, ISO200.
The image stabilisation appears to work very well as you can read the print.
Ball Crop.jpg

And this spider plant 45% crop, 1/27th! hand held, f5.6. Very impressive.
Plant Crop.jpg

Thanks Tim (y)

This feels great in the hand, it's a little bigger than my X-T2 which is not surprising. The hand grip suits my Hands perfectly. I am amazed at how quiet the shutter is, you can set it to silent if you wish.

You need to charge the battery/batteries in camera, there is a dedicated charger as an extra if you so wish. I am sill playing so the learning curve will take me a while.

WHAT ?
There is no charger supplied ?
Do you mean that you can charge via the grip, or the body ?
I think that's so wrong as I can't see a charger costing Fuji much to manufacture..

Have you by any chance ever owned an H1 - if so I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the two compare.
I've not kept up with all the bodies since the H1 came out, though I did once pick up an X-T1 (may have been a 2) and found it too small by comparison, but otherwise I've got no idea what improvements there have been, not that I find the H1 lacking, it's more my failings that cause frustration....

Have fun with it, and hope you can get out enough to get to grips with it !

Sorry for being lazy but 2 questions
1) Does it use the same battery as the previous version(s) e.g. XT2/XT20
2) Doe the lens have IS and did you use it in combination with IBIS

1 - If it does I should imagine "most" people will be migrating upwards and already have a charger, assuming they aren't trading-in
2 - If no lens stabilization I'd be interested to see a lens with IS used with the XT4 and IBIS, I feel that my IS lenses do a great job of stabilizing on their own and as all my Fuji lenses have IS the IBIS might not be of much practical use, although it would mean my Canon lenses would benefit.

Hi Steve, alas no battery charger! Yes you can buy a separate charger for dual batteries. You use the USB-C lead supplied to charge through the camera. I presume the lead will charge all three batteries if you have the grip attached?

No I've not owned a H1, I do own a X-T2 and the similarities are there but also the big differences. Physically the camera does not feel much heavier, 100g, but is is larger in the hand, 5/10% maybe.

Sorry for being lazy but 2 questions
1) Does it use the same battery as the previous version(s) e.g. XT2/XT20
2) Doe the lens have IS and did you use it in combination with IBIS

1 - If it does I should imagine "most" people will be migrating upwards and already have a charger, assuming they aren't trading-in
2 - If no lens stabilization I'd be interested to see a lens with IS used with the XT4 and IBIS, I feel that my IS lenses do a great job of stabilizing on their own and as all my Fuji lenses have IS the IBIS might not be of much practical use, although it would mean my Canon lenses would benefit.
No sorry, new battery (n)

The images above are in body only, lens turned off. I'll get some of both systems employed and see how they perform.

Took the dog for a wander, this won't win any competitions but, hand held F22, 1/25th, ISO160 with an 18-55mm. IS on the lens and the body turned on.
Fence at F22.jpg

Hi Steve, alas no battery charger! Yes you can buy a separate charger for dual batteries. You use the USB-C lead supplied to charge through the camera. I presume the lead will charge all three batteries if you have the grip attached?

No I've not owned a H1, I do own a X-T2 and the similarities are there but also the big differences. Physically the camera does not feel much heavier, 100g, but is is larger in the hand, 5/10% maybe.
Thanks for that Jak, please keep posting your impressions as time goes by - I'd be interested in things like focus speed, how much better it is than your X-T2...
Enjoy your new camera !

No sorry, new battery (n)

Does the new battery have pad type terminals or slots? I (and many others) have a universal charger which works very well with the pad type (like the older Fuji X-T ones) terminals but is less happy with the slots.

It may be just me, but I find it surprising that fuji have done this (ie no charger included) and at £60 it's not a cheap add-on given that the battery is a new design.
Sorry Norkie that this is what we /I seem to be focusing on when you want to shout about how wonderful your new camera is.

Does the new battery have pad type terminals or slots? I (and many others) have a universal charger which works very well with the pad type (like the older Fuji X-T ones) terminals but is less happy with the slots.
As can be seen Nod, I suppose it depends what capability your charger has.
XT4 Battery.jpg

Reactions: Nod
Slot type. I do have a different universal charger that handles them better but it's not as useful as the one I usually use - which has a USB socket for phones etc.. I'll stick with my older X-Ts and their 126 (?!) batteries which all fit each other.

It may be just me, but I find it surprising that fuji have done this (ie no charger included) and at £60 it's not a cheap add-on given that the battery is a new design.
Sorry Norkie that this is what we /I seem to be focusing on when you want to shout about how wonderful your new camera is.
On another forum someone posted that this is the most expensive battery charger he had ever seen :)

Did I not read somewhere that camera manufacturers are embedding codes in the bodies so they do not operate 100% with third-party batteries?

Did I not read somewhere that camera manufacturers are embedding codes in the bodies so they do not operate 100% with third-party batteries?
IIRC, the X-T3 was supposed to detect the uprated version of the 126 (126S) and disable boost mode if the batteries weren't 126S,
But I've not had a problem with the Ex-Pros I had with the X-T2 in the 3, or the no name spares I bought for the X-T3.

But it's okay, we'll let you and @-Oy- be our guinea pigs :exit:

Don't hold your breath, I'm never going to use third party batteries.

Reactions: LC2
I have two extra Fuji batteries and the charger on order :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LC2
I always charge my XT3 batteries by plugging the mains cable into the grip. I just find it easier.
I regularly swap the internal battery into the grip to try and level the usage.

I have two extra Fuji batteries and the charger on order :)
Hi Dave, have you received your charger and batteries yet?

Still waiting for mine.

I suspect they have the chargers but not the batteries :(

Great choice of a X body Jak...!

Which Fuji X body did you own before buying the new X-T4..? Are there any decent deals on them I wonder...?...probably not I'm guessing as it's just been released.

Cheers;
Peter

Fuji are doing a Sony on it now then? expecting you to purchase the charger separate, I think they charge enough for these cameras to include it like they always used to tbh. I can't remember ever buying a camera that didn't come with the charger + battery :/

Anyway ... I'd still be excited if I had one on the way, won't be long until there's a bunch of third party chargers and batteries I'm sure

Great choice of a X body Jak...!

Which Fuji X body did you own before buying the new X-T4..? Are there any decent deals on them I wonder...?...probably not I'm guessing as it's just been released.

Cheers;
Peter
Hi Peter,

I had the X-T2 previously, I was very happy with that model but the image stabiliser and the flip out screen sold me on the X-T4. I'm still finding my way around the camera, lock down doesn't help does it! You kind of run our of things to photograph in the garden, dog's getting camera shy too ;)

Fuji are doing a Sony on it now then? expecting you to purchase the charger separate, I think they charge enough for these cameras to include it like they always used to tbh. I can't remember ever buying a camera that didn't come with the charger + battery :/

Anyway ... I'd still be excited if I had one on the way, won't be long until there's a bunch of third party chargers and batteries I'm sure
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to charge the three batteries with the grip attached. In the manual it says 330minutes...

I'm still amazed at the image stabilisation on this camera. Lens OIS turned off, 80mm macro, 1/25sec, f16.0, ISO160, hand held.
Apple Tree May20.jpg

Last edited:
Apple Tree 02 May20.jpg
80mm macro, 1/120sec, f16.0, ISO640. Lens OIS off, handheld.

Last edited:
Does it come with the grip (like the x-t3 did most of the time)?
I'm assuming not as WEX doesn't list it like that.
No Tim, that's an extra also!

View attachment 277952
80mm macro, 1/120sec, f16.0, ISO640. Lens off handheld.

When you say lens off do you mean IS is turned off on the lens?

I'm interested to see how good the IBIS is, I have an XT3 and the IBIS is what is tempting me to sell it and buy the XT4.
3 of my Fuji lenses have IS (50-140, 10-24 and 18-55 so if both were turned on I'm expecting very good stabilisation) Do you have either of these lenses? :)

Last edited:
When you say lens off do you mean IS is turned off on the lens?

I'm interested to see how good the IBIS is, I have an XT3 and the IBIS is what is tempting me to sell it and buy the XT4.
3 of my Fuji lenses have IS (50-140, 10-24 and 18-55 so if both were turned on I'm expecting very good stabilisation) Do you have either of these lenses? :)
Hi Paul yes OIS off. I do have 10-24 and 18-55 lenses. If you would like some images from these? It most likely won't be today though.

Just to chirp in I got an X-T4 just over a week ago and am finding it an absolute joy to use.

I upgraded from an X-T2, which i still have and intend to keep as a backup, but the X-T4 is way ahead in AF performance both in speed of acquisition and tracking capabilities. Alos the IBIS is fantastic. I shot an image using the 90mm f2 and got a sharp image using a SS of 1/10th :)

Also the eye AF is much improved and tracks really well on moving subjects.

Back