Fuji X-T4

Same here Philip, very happy with my one.

XT-2 user here, wondering about whether to splash out on the XT4, save money and buy a XH-1 or sell all of my Fuji kit and go Canon mirrorless, (Canon is my primary system, I have Fuji for mountaineering/cycle-touring/discrete-in-the-street etc, mainly because of size).

How are people finding the articulated screen? I love the flippy screen on the XT-2 and often use it as a waist-level finder as well as on a tripod, but I only shoot stills, video capabilities are irrelevant to me.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

XT-2 user here, wondering about whether to splash out on the XT4, save money and buy a XH-1 or sell all of my Fuji kit and go Canon mirrorless, (Canon is my primary system, I have Fuji for mountaineering/cycle-touring/discrete-in-the-street etc, mainly because of size).

How are people finding the articulated screen? I love the flippy screen on the XT-2 and often use it as a waist-level finder as well as on a tripod, but I only shoot stills, video capabilities are irrelevant to me.

Depends, the xt4 is the most expensive, xh1 is pretty much the same as the xt2, then there's canon, theres not to many rf lenses and they are expensive except for the 35 1.8 rf, unless you're happy to adapt and use your ef lenses and add the smaller ef primes but you have the benefit of 1 set of lenses and lens costs.

If you like the XT2 for it's size then a move to a H1 might not be for you. In some ways it is a better camera, it's better built, has the better grip, a nicer shutter and of course IBIS on board. But in every other way it's a beefed up XT2, it's heavier, will take up more space in your bag and the end results will be precisely the same. Apart from instances where you benefit from IBIS in lower light for longer exposures. The XT4 is a cross between the H1 and XT3 really, in a slightly lighter package than the H1 - on the flip out screen, tha's personal preference. I used a Panasonic G80 for a while that had one, and often wished it was just tilting, it often got in the way when I was shooting macro in particular. I prefer the tilting screen on my H1.

If Canon is your main, and the Fuji is just for hikes, then you might be better to look at the smaller models like the XT20/30, or one of Canon's APSC ML bodies like the M50 - where you use all your Canon lenses - though that depends on what lenses you own. If they are mostly heftier FF lenses then it's not going to save you any weight really. An XT30 with the 18-55 and say a 90mm F2 would be a pretty light-weight set up ideal for travel IMO

The XT3 was quite a way ahead of the XT2, certainly with the current firmware.
It would be interesting to get some real world comparisons between the 3 & 4 for AF.

Yeah i can't comment on the improvement over the X-T3 as i never had a play with one. But coming from the X-T2 is a massive improvement.

As for the flippy screen. Takes a bit of getting used to but to be honest I rarely used the pull out screen on the X-T2. The X-T4 screen certainly offers more versatile shooting positions, if maybe alittle less discreet than the previous screen. Horses for courses I spose :)

Cagey75 & Twist, thanks for your input.

Yep, it has occurred to me that the H-1 body wise is comparable to the Canon EOS-R, and of course I am waiting impatiently to see how ridiculously priced the coming R5 is going to be. The lenses do make a difference though, I'm mostly using Fuji f2 primes and EF100L Macro on a Fringer to doubt up as a macro and 150mm telephoto. Most of my Canon glass is big heavy L kit which is heavier than I'd like and far too big. The RF 24-105 might be the answer to my prayers for a travel setup.

However, the XT-2 still takes the edge off the pain of indecision, for now anyway!

Cagey75 & Twist, thanks for your input.

Yep, it has occurred to me that the H-1 body wise is comparable to the Canon EOS-R, and of course I am waiting impatiently to see how ridiculously priced the coming R5 is going to be. The lenses do make a difference though, I'm mostly using Fuji f2 primes and EF100L Macro on a Fringer to doubt up as a macro and 150mm telephoto. Most of my Canon glass is big heavy L kit which is heavier than I'd like and far too big. The RF 24-105 might be the answer to my prayers for a travel setup.

However, the XT-2 still takes the edge off the pain of indecision, for now anyway!

If you add an @ in front of usernames it will notify us :)

So heres a basic comparison, Ive used the RP because its the smallest, cheapest and lightest Canon ff MILC, 23 1.4/35 1.8, 35 1.4 /50 1.8, 100L (theres no image of the XH1 with a fringer and 100L but its likely the same size as the RP and 100L).

11.JPG

Last edited:

I would rule out the H1 on weight / size grounds for what you use a camera for, the image quality is also pretty much the same as the T2.

The XT-3 would give you faster AF and if video isn't important you wouldn't be gaining much other than better AF for stills..

Personally I would buy some additional glass if you have GAS and keep the T2

Hi Paul, not much to photograph in our garden so forgive the images :( all with OIS on handheld.
This one, 10-24mm @10mm f20.0, 1/20th ISO160
1024-f20-1-20secISO160.jpg
And @24mm, f20.0, 1/20th ISO160
1024-f20-1-25secISO160.jpg
18-55mm, f20.0, 1/20sec ISO160
1855-F20-1-17sec-ISO160.jpg
and @55mm, f20.0, 25th sec ISO160
1855-F20-1-27secISO160.jpg

I would just wait and see unless there is a particular aspect of the X-T2 that irks you or an urgency to make a decision to shift completely top Canon.

In terms of upgrading the Fuji to another Fuji then why change? If you are using stabilised lenses with the X-T2 then the IBIS in the X-T4 or the X-H1 isn't such a huge benefit.

At the moment the X-H1 is in an odd position. It's a bargain. And it's a lovely bit of kit. In performance and IQ terms it's really only a small incerment behind the X-T3 and X-T4 despite the hype from those who must have the latest and greatest. BUT it is larger than the X-T family - more like an APS-C DSLR than the more svelte Fuji mirrorless. If you use larger Fuji F1.2/F1.4 primes and zooms it takes them well in terms of balance and handling and gets you IBIS. But I'm guessing that for climbing hills and mountains that the smaller lenses are a more optimal choice with the X-T2.

And the X-T4 - lovely bit of kit but new and shiny and quite pricey. Makes sense if you are totally committed to Fuji and want an enhanced X-T with IBIS and updated videoas your main camera. But do you need those extra featuires over and above your X-T2.

I would add that the nice thing about Fuji is that they give you choice - there's the X-T30 which is smaller - and maybe what you should do is wait and see if there is an X-T40 offers yet another way forward?

Another thing to think of is what are the files like soc. I prefer the Fuji jpegs and the whole light weight aspect of the xt-20 over my 5D3, plus if I lose or damage my Fuji I won't be heartbroken. I have L series lenses too and combined with a FF body just felt I needed something lighter occasionally.

Last edited:
So does the X-T4 have the same IBIS as the X-H1 body ?

I'm currently a X-T2 user; but I would like the H-X1 for it's IBIS capabilities as it's 2/3 extra stops for shooting in lower iso situations.

mac

Last edited:
In terms of upgrading the Fuji to another Fuji then why change? If you are using stabilised lenses with the X-T2 then the IBIS in the X-T4 or the X-H1 isn't such a huge benefit.

The primes don't have stabilisation, so you get to hand hold at lower shutter speeds, and on the 90 f2, that's a real benefit. If you're only using zooms then that's a different matter. I have 3 primes & 3 zooms....

Just to chirp in I got an X-T4 just over a week ago and am finding it an absolute joy to use.

I upgraded from an X-T2, which i still have and intend to keep as a backup, but the X-T4 is way ahead in AF performance both in speed of acquisition and tracking capabilities. Alos the IBIS is fantastic. I shot an image using the 90mm f2 and got a sharp image using a SS of 1/10th :)

Also the eye AF is much improved and tracks really well on moving subjects.

Stop it, stop it, stop it!!! :ROFLMAO:

I just wondered if anyone who owns the XT4 has any opinions of how it is performing with wildlife photography, emphasis on birds mainly? I am considering getting one for this purpose alongside my other lesser photographic interests.

I just wondered if anyone who owns the XT4 has any opinions of how it is performing with wildlife photography, emphasis on birds mainly? I am considering getting one for this purpose alongside my other lesser photographic interests.
Would you need IBIS with the 50-140 or 100-400 ? They are already stabilised and the 100-400 detects panning I believe. XT-3 should be more than adequate with those lenses I would have thought.

Would you need IBIS with the 50-140 or 100-400 ? They are already stabilised and the 100-400 detects panning I believe. XT-3 should be more than adequate with those lenses I would have thought.

They both automatically work out if they're on a tripod too. Clever little so & so's (OK, not so little).

Fair point but I like the new design of the XT4 articulted screen, improved AF and larger battery but I appreciate the XT3 is a great camera.

Dave (@-Oy- ), @Norkie
In Wai Lam's initial review he says that the X-T4's AF is more consistent in low light than the X-T3.
What are your views on that?

I've never used an X-T3 to can't compare. Nor have I used the X-T4 in low light yet.

I've never used an X-T3 to can't compare. Nor have I used the X-T4 in low light yet.
Nor I, sorry. I'll have a play when the situation is right and post.

Reactions: LC2
I am feeling the urge again,upgrade my X-T3 for the T4,anyone else done this,is it worth it.:)

Well I went from 2 to 4 so yes very happy :giggle:

Seriously looking at this now,can,t help myself.:D:fuji:

Hi Jak. Yeah. I do a lot of indoor event people photos (using flash to light them).
The X-T3 is far better than the X-T2, but it would be interesting to know if the 4 is another jump forward.
99% of the time, single shot and AF-S.
Hi Tim, not really sure if this what you are after?
Clock 02.jpg
X-T4, XF18-55, 1/125sec, f4.5, ISO800. no flash, hand held. I have adjusted the levels and exposure a tad.

Hi Tim, not really sure if this what you are after?
Hi Norkie,
I'm more after understanding how accurate and snappy the AF is on faces/eyes in low(ish) light.
Think indoors under variable lighting conditions where you can lose the background at f/4 to f/5.6 at 100ISO & 250th/sec
So you're likely shooting f/2 to give some background context, and lighting the subject with flash.
The subjects will be moving though they will be posing (not professional models).
How consistent is the focus point, does it actually pick up the face/eye and does it remain locked, or does it jump around.
(Yes - I can do it manually (and often have to) but it's nice to let the camera do some of the work, especially towards the end of 8 hours shooting... :) )

I'm guessing your clock shot is in similar conditions, as you're shooting 3-4 stops higher than I would be.

Hmm, I'm going to struggle with that Tim. Wifey works for the NHS and is at work as you can imagine.
Leave it with me, see what I can do.

Just sold my X-T3 & pulled the trigger on the T4:banana:

Back