Fuji X100 alternatives?

What I was bringing up is that people often mention the panasonic 20mm lens on a MFT body as an alternative to the Fuji, they forget to mention that th focussing is probably slower than the Fuji...

I have a 20mm f1.7 and I've used it on a GF1 and currently use it on a G1. In real world use I find the focus easily fast enough, but to be honest most of the time I use manual lenses :D

Honestly though, no matter what the spec or reviewers may say I don't find the 20mm to be slow in real world use.

Actually, in the conditions most people mention, the Fuji is a lot slower and less accurate than both a gf3 and gx1 with 20mm.

True of the 20mm on my GF1 also. I have the X100 as well, the GF! has far quicker focus, especially at short distances.

I mostly shoot my little ones and I find the lens quite fast enough.

I'm not sure if this helps Gareth but with regard to the X10, there are times when it really comes into its own. As someone who knows this view, I'm sure you'll appreciate the fact that there's no way you'd be able to grab it with the kit we normally use for pointing at aircraft! :)

I was just about to head down from CadWest yesterday when I saw some lovely light appear over the lake... Cue the X10! :D

DSCF0555tp.jpg

I must admit Si, I've seen some amazing views down the valley from Cadwest but never been able to get them due to the 300/2.8 being the only lens I take up with me. That's a great shot. Has this got any grads on it or anything? The sky looks really well exposed without under exposing the land.
PS, did you get much traffic through the other day?

It's had a bit of work done in Photoshop (including adding a grad to the top half) but I didn't have anything on the camera when I took it. :)

Although Camera Raw isn't brilliant at working on X-series processors, it does a good enough job under most circumstances.

Traffic was pretty good in the morning and with almost nothing after lunch. We had a Tiffie come in so low I swear he needed Road Tax! :D We had a couple of Fat Alberts and a pair of T1's... I'd have loved another pass from the Typhoon and a couple of Tonka passes but whichever way you cut it, it was better than a blank! (y)

Pictures from yesterday are on my Flickr stream. Can you get to Focus On Imaging tomorrow 'cos that'd give you a chance to play with a few different cameras?

Well I've decided to take the plunge and go for an X100. Managed to get a new one from Focus for £449, which considering they are going for well over £400 on EBay second hand, I thought was a bargain.
I've only had a quick play so far, but the build quality is superb and it feels nice and solid. The AF seems quick enough for most things, although does slow down somewhat in the macro mode. The IQ looks to be spot on although the higher ISO does look a bit grainy, but no problems for what I want it for.
Right, time to get out and about, as that's the only way I'm going to find out just how good this little beauty is. :)
Many thanks for all the input from everyone. (y)

Hi who is selling The x100 at £449? I might get one from Focus

I know of professional togs who use the X100 for work both inside and outside the studio and if its good enough for them....

The Fuji's are kind of unique, they've carved their own niche in the camera market but they are not DSLR's nor are they compacts, they have their own character & quirks, so like every camera you have to get used to them.
One of the things with the fuji's is they make you slow down a little and think about your shots, yes of course you can rattle of shots on the go but slowing down a little pays dividends.
I moved from a canon DLSR set up with fast glass to the x-pro1 system and yes its different to a DSLR, but the results are astounding.
The autofocus on the whole range has been vastly improved thanks to the new body & lens firmware and the new X100s has I believe the fastest auto focus out there..
If you can hang fire and wait for an X100s I dont think you would be disappointed.
I would love an X100 and if funds permitted I'd probably get one

The IQ looks to be spot on although the higher ISO does look a bit grainy, but no problems for what I want it for.

That's surprising but maybe you just have extremely high, high ISO expectations. I found the X100 great at 3200.

Great price for the camera though, glad I sold mine a few months back if they are now dropping to £450 new!

That's surprising but maybe you just have extremely high, high ISO expectations. I found the X100 great at 3200.

Great price for the camera though, glad I sold mine a few months back if they are now dropping to £450 new!

I found indoors at ISO 800 there is a distinct grain in the image on screen? :shrug:

The £450 is a show price, so normally £579.00. One of the few bargains at Focus. (y)

That doesn't sound right. ISO 800 should be almost at same level of 200 in my experience.

I've found this on the odd occasion, but only when composing. The final image on those occasions turned out perfectly normal.

Back