Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

Both raw and jpeg.
Re LR lens corrections for rawfiles yes otherwise they are already applied in camera as far as i can remember

I am on LR 6.14. What I have found odd is that if I use the WCL on my X100, LR says it has applied the 'built-in profile'. On RAWs taken without the WCL, it doesn't say this. I find that a little surprising - if LR knows I have a WCL attached and can correct it, how come it can't without it attached?

If I then tick the box 'Enable Profile Corrections' it alters the image somewhat but I notice that a drop-down is available for 'Model' where you can actually select the version of X100 you have. Choosing any of X100F/S/T seem to give the same result but these give a different result to the Finepix X100 option. Given that it's the same lens in each model, I am confused.

I am probably over-thinking it anyway ...

Lee

I am on LR 6.14. What I have found odd is that if I use the WCL on my X100, LR says it has applied the 'built-in profile'. On RAWs taken without the WCL, it doesn't say this. I find that a little surprising - if LR knows I have a WCL attached and can correct it, how come it can't without it attached?

If I then tick the box 'Enable Profile Corrections' it alters the image somewhat but I notice that a drop-down is available for 'Model' where you can actually select the version of X100 you have. Choosing any of X100F/S/T seem to give the same result but these give a different result to the Finepix X100 option. Given that it's the same lens in each model, I am confused.

Lee
so am I now o_O

What's more ... if I select 'Enable Profile Corrections' and then slide the Distortion Correction to the left to zero but keep the Vignetting correction at 100, the picture looks almost identical to the JPEG. And I rather like that look.
It makes me wonder then if the JPEG has any build-in distortion correction but surely it must have and that then makes me wonder about the accuracy of the LR profile.

Anyway, I went out with my XP1 + 35mm f1.4 today and it was great - nice change from my XP2. However, looking through my recent catalog of images, I seem to keep coming back to those X100 (Original) files and preferring them to pretty much anything else ... I can't explain it really except that they really do have a lovely tonal range and that extra look of 'reality'.

Lee

Lee
What's more ... if I select 'Enable Profile Corrections' and then slide the Distortion Correction to the left to zero but keep the Vignetting correction at 100, the picture looks almost identical to the JPEG. And I rather like that look.
It makes me wonder then if the JPEG has any build-in distortion correction but surely it must have and that then makes me wonder about the accuracy of the LR profile.

Anyway, I went out with my XP1 + 35mm f1.4 today and it was great - nice change from my XP2. However, looking through my recent catalog of images, I seem to keep coming back to those X100 (Original) files and preferring them to pretty much anything else ... I can't explain it really except that they really do have a lovely tonal range and that extra look of 'reality'.

Lee

If the camera has WCL selected it will apply correction to the JPEG, the RAW will be uncorrected.

Originally there was an additional lightroom lens profile for the X100 with WCL, this might still need to be present and would explain the differences you are seeing with STF models. The WCL if present is automatically picked up from data in the EXIF for the STF models but this is not the case for the X100

You need to install the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, and then add the WCL-X100 profile, I did this on LR4 and LR5, but have no idea if it is supported under LR6

Last edited:
Snuck out for an hour this afternoon with the X100F & WCL as it's the first time I've had chance to try it properly out of the house. Think it's going to be a lens that may spend quite a bit of time on the front of the camera! In fairness, the MK2 is really good to simply unscrew if you want to shoot at 23mm - I was forever forgetting to change the setting when I had my T & TCL!

Wander with WCL-X100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Wander with WCL-X100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Wander with WCL-X100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Wander with WCL-X100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Wander with WCL-X100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Lee
Me and you both

Can anyone give any hints on embedding images hosted from Flickr etc? I know how to embed the link to the image but in the past I have never been totally happy with the sharpness of the embedded images.

What do people do - upload their full size image to Flickr, then just select the link for the size you want it to appear here? Or upload a file to Flickr that is already downsized and sharpened etc?

Lee

Can anyone give any hints on embedding images hosted from Flickr etc? I know how to embed the link to the image but in the past I have never been totally happy with the sharpness of the embedded images.

What do people do - upload their full size image to Flickr, then just select the link for the size you want it to appear here? Or upload a file to Flickr that is already downsized and sharpened etc?

Lee
Just my way which is maybe not the best but upload to flikrmy finished pic then just copy and paste to here from flikr after choosing the size i want

Ok, how's this look?

39623774694_c5b24380a4_h.jpg

Lee

Last edited:
Ok, how's this look?

39623774694_7b79b0b825_b.jpg

Lee

Perhaps you should re-visit a bit later in the Autumn - the colours would look fabulous with that path wending its way into the distance. Right now it looks a bit flat - just my opinion (which isn't worth a lot :))

DSCF8189 by Chris Andrew, on Flickr
this is my friend Ian,A fuji XT2 and X100F owner who was inspired to change to fuji from Nikon after trying my X100 ,2nd one :)
PS
he's looking for a lens mate thumb grip
for his X100F,i put an advert in the wanted if anyone has one for sale.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should re-visit a bit later in the Autumn - the colours would look fabulous with that path wending its way into the distance. Right now it looks a bit flat - just my opinion (which isn't worth a lot :))

No probs, all options are worth receiving! Actually it was mid-October but it wasn't that colourful - I think the leaves had turned a little early last year. Will be returning in the spring, hoping for bluebells! It's near Pendower beach, near Portscatho, South Cornwall.

The OOC Astia JPEG was a little punchier but I won't spam you with multiple versions!

Lee

Anyone using filter systems with their X100? Looked at Lee Seven5 (eye watering price wise), Formatt Hitech and Nisi.

Wondering what else is out there and size wise similar to the Lee Seven5. Thinking I want a CPL, stopper and a grad ND of some sort.

Anyone using filter systems with their X100? Looked at Lee Seven5 (eye watering price wise), Formatt Hitech and Nisi.

Wondering what else is out there and size wise similar to the Lee Seven5. Thinking I want a CPL, stopper and a grad ND of some sort.
You could just use screw-in filters for the pola and stopper, and use a grad in LR or similar. In fact, I’m thinking of selling my Se7en5 system as I just don’t use it.

Remember there is a built in ND filter, so if you buy a 6 stopper, you will get 3, 6 and 9 options

I'd recommend what @Stephen L suggested, screw in. If you really need a grad then either Hitech 67mm or Lee Seven5

You could just use screw-in filters for the pola and stopper, and use a grad in LR or similar. In fact, I’m thinking of selling my Se7en5 system as I just don’t use it.

I’ve thought about that but I’d like more flexibility to use with my X-Pro2 and lenses. I’d really like an all in one system have to say.

Remember there is a built in ND filter, so if you buy a 6 stopper, you will get 3, 6 and 9 options

I'd recommend what @Stephen L suggested, screw in. If you really need a grad then either Hitech 67mm or Lee Seven5

Cheers. I’m looking quite hard at the NiSi Filters, seem to have a good rep and great price too. They do a small system ideal for mirrorless which may well suit my needs. (y)

Quite a lot of noise in that one Stephen - is that usual for ISO 6400?

Given the scene and the way it has been processed I can understand the noise.

Its a single shot in a high dynamic range scene, bright lights, very dark engine side, etc. If the noise wasn't cleaned up before HDR processing then the HDR software will amplify the noise in the shadows.

@Stephen L if you are in this situation again, I would suggest a bracketed exposure, even handheld this can produce great results, just remember to switch Auto ISO off, otherwise it may ISO bracket!! Then Photo Merge in Lightroom, then process the noise, I usually use NIK Dfine, and then adjust the processing to suit, you can get quite staggering results.

Quite a lot of noise in that one Stephen - is that usual for ISO 6400?
No, it's mainly as a result of making a single HDR shot.

@Mr Perceptive, yes given the chance again I would do a hand-held bracketed shot, but it was just a quick grab-and-run from a place I wasn't really supposed to be! Never tried Nik Define - I shall look into it! I do usually HDR (when I DO HDR) in LR.

Incidentally, it prints up quite cleanly. As you'd expect.

No, it's mainly as a result of making a single HDR shot.

@Mr Perceptive, yes given the chance again I would do a hand-held bracketed shot, but it was just a quick grab-and-run from a place I wasn't really supposed to be! Never tried Nik Define - I shall look into it! I do usually HDR (when I DO HDR) in LR.

Incidentally, it prints up quite cleanly. As you'd expect.

NIK Dfine does a pretty good job in Auto mode - its easy to add more regions of interest if the auto doesn't cover a suitable selection of noisy regions

This is the view from Golden Cap to Charmouth on the Dorset coast - Golden Cap is on the Jurassic Coast and the highest point along the South Coast (between the Wash and Lands End) at 191 metres (627 feet) and about 30 metres higher than Beachy Head.

DSCF0700_16x9 by Andrew R, on Flickr

Taken with the X100F and the standard 23mm lens (I've sold my WCL :))

A question for you experts in here.
I have a recently purchased X-100F. As far as I can tell at this early stage it is working perfectly.
I also have a WCL. A Mark 1 version. This came with a little magnet so that it could be used without having to resort to the lens correction menu every time. Just like a Mark 2 version.
Both worked together when I first tried them out.
Then butterfingers me knocked the magnet off. So I got some fresh tape and stuck it back in the exact same place, or so I thought. It wouldn't work. I kept getting the error message. No matter what I did the magnet wouldn't work as it should.
Eventually I tried the WCL without the magnet and it works perfectly.
This is a Mark 1 WCL, no magnet and lens correction switched off in the menu.

Why is it working?

Frank, the magnet being in the wrong place shouldn't stop it working. The only difference would be that it doesn't register automatically as having the WCL mounted. The magnet will register as WCL in one direction and when reversed it will trigger the TCL settings.

edit to add: an error message can occur when something stops the X100 lens from moving out slightly, as it does when switched on.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin. Not sure I understand any of that. The WCL works without the magnet. I don't need to set the menu.
What's this about reversing magnets? How can I tell which is which? They are so small that surely they cannot be that precise.

Either of the converters will work fine without magnets but the camera won't know they are on so lens correction won't be done unless you set WCL or TCL in menu.
If you hold one of the magnets near the lens where it would be if attached you will see the screen notification for TCL or WCL as it thinks one is attached, if you then reverse the magnet it will change from one to the other as that's what lets the camera know what lens correction to use.

Thanks Colin. Not sure I understand any of that. The WCL works without the magnet. I don't need to set the menu.
What's this about reversing magnets? How can I tell which is which? They are so small that surely they cannot be that precise.
Magnets have polarity. The camera decides whether it’s the WCL or TCL according to the polarity. No idea why it continues to detect the presence of a converter without the magnet.

Back