Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

But I don't get any screen notification at all, either with the WCL that has no magnet or the TCL that does have a magnet. However both work as they should.
If the TCL has no magnet I get the Focus Error message and can't use it. And I've no idea which way round the magnets are. They've been on and off several times while I've been testing this.

If the TCL has no magnet I get the Focus Error message and can't use it.

This part has me thoroughly confused, the focus error is usually a sign that something has interrupted the lens movement. So I could understand it happening if the taped magnet was hindering it but not without it.

I've just had an "in depth" play.
Magnet one way round...lens works fine.
Magnet the other way round...Focus Error message. Lens won't work at all.
No magnet at all....lens works fine.

At no time does any message appear on the screen. This only appears if I go into the menu to tell it that the WCL is attached.
(TBH I'm not that fussed about the screen message. I can see what I'm using!)
EXIF doesn't change when either WCL or TCL have been used, so there doesn't appear to be anyway of knowing after the event what have been used.....unless I've not got it set right.

Off to play with the TCL now. watch this space.

Yes, I know that, but on 2mm round magnets how on earth can you tell which side is which?

In some ways that's a subsidiary problem. Why does the WCL work without a magnet anywher near it?
You can't by looking at it. You hold it near the appropriate part of the camera and see if it displays WCL or TCL then remember (or mark with a dab of paint or something) which side was facing the camera.

Did you watch through the video I linked. If the message doesn't appear it won't be setting correctly for the lens you are using. It will still work but the subtle lens correction won't be applied.

Well I've just removed the magnet from the TCL and that too works just fine. No message on screen.
Then I dropped the magnet and can't find it in the carpet:eggface::eggface::eggface:

You don't need to use the magnets at all remember, they are just to save you going in to the menu to set WCL or TCL that's all they do.

Did you watch through the video I linked. If the message doesn't appear it won't be setting correctly for the lens you are using. It will still work but the subtle lens correction won't be applied.
Nor will the finder lines change in the OVF.

sweep the floor with the biscuit tin, have a custard cream while you're at it :D
Tried that. Didn't work.
Just bought 50 of the things for £3. Be here tomorrow. Then we'll start again.

But...if the sign doesn't appear on the screen, even with a manget, then camera won't be recognising it, or will it?

Without the camera displaying which is fitted then no the lens corrections won;t take effect. Try the magnet on the end of your finger and hold it in the right area.

As it moves further away from the correct spot the magnetic field changes?

prabably wouldn't happen with a slightly wider magnet.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the magnet needs to be positioned by the 'jin' in Fujinon. I just used black tape to fasten the magnet on the inside of the rear of the WCL. It worked perfectly. If you turn the magnet around (reverse the polarity) it registers it as a TCL instead. You get an icon illuminated on the LCD informing you which converter is fitted.

See YouTube for more information

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the magnet needs to be positioned by the 'jin' in Fujinon. I just used black tape to fasten the magnet on the inside of the rear of the WCL. It worked perfectly. If you turn the magnet around (reverse the polarity) it registers it as a TCL instead. You get an icon illuminated on the LCD informing you which converter is fitted.

See YouTube for more information
That's exactly where I have it. I followed a tutorial on the Fuji x Forum.

Success, of sorts. Wherever I placed it nothing happened. So I looked very closely at the position. Playing around with the magnet in the end of a stick showed that it needed to be a bit inboard of the WCL casing. So I packed it out by about 5mm and it seems to be working. Tutorial didn't mention that - just fix it to the case was all it showed.

I have been testing things with the magnet out of a set of cheapo earpieces. That is way too large to use, but it is massively powerful. If the new ones are similarly powerful we could solve the problem with just one. But I will have 50 of the things to play with.
Still can't find the one on the carpet.

For best results the magnet needs to be on the angled surface inside the WCL/TCL

To suss out polarity, just move the magnet around the outside of the fixed 23mm lens, you will see WCL or TCL flash up on the screen.

Its one massive advantage of dropping your WCL and dishing the filter ring and replacing it with a Mk2 version, is that you don't have to muck about with magents (not a cost effective solution though:D)

@mickledore, as others have said it will not apply the lens correction either for the Camera JPGs or in Lightroom if the relevant WCL/TCL option is not selected.You either select via menu (or put on a function button) or via magnet.
I've got the option now showing for the WCL but it is well packed out from the side of the frame. Maybe stronger magnets will solve the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. At least I know what the problem is and how to tackle it.

I can't see the 100F becoming my main camera. It wasn't bought for that purpose and I'm struggling to pick up a nice quick workflow. It's very clunky after the T2. Doesn't seem as intuitive as what I'm used to. Time will tell.

I can't see the 100F becoming my main camera. It wasn't bought for that purpose and I'm struggling to pick up a nice quick workflow. It's very clunky after the T2. Doesn't seem as intuitive as what I'm used to. Time will tell.

It will grow on you........ Just get it set up the way you want, got some nice extra function buttons to help customise it

LOL, no magnets required on X100 Classic as it won't recognise them! When I am using my WCL for the day I set my RAW button so I can quickly access the menu option for it.

Lee

Wine O'Clock (2011 style)

40340488731_7fd5c8aba4_c.jpg

Lee

I've almost reached the magic 25 posts that lets me see the classifieds! i don't want to do that do I?

Lee

It will grow on you........ Just get it set up the way you want, got some nice extra function buttons to help customise it
I thought that there were restricted function buttons. I'm struggling to get it to my liking. Using the My Menu function instead.

Really I need a full day out with it rather than the piecemeal sessions I've had so far. Trouble is I don't want to find I don't know how to do something that is 2nd nature with the T2.

I thought that there were restricted function buttons. I'm struggling to get it to my liking. Using the My Menu function instead.

Really I need a full day out with it rather than the piecemeal sessions I've had so far. Trouble is I don't want to find I don't know how to do something that is 2nd nature with the T2.

It's like a mini X-Pro2 really, rather than an XT2 but what specifically are you struggling with (apart from having an excess of magnets)?

It's like a mini X-Pro2 really, rather than an XT2 but what specifically are you struggling with (apart from having an excess of magnets)?
Never had or seen an X-Pro2.
Just struggling to get to grips with everything.
Doesn't it take a long time to switch off? Must be eating the battery.

5 function buttons +AELAFL + Rear Dial can all be set, Fn2 on the front is quite useful

FYI - mines set up as follows:-

Fn1 - AE Metering Modes
Fn2 - RAW so I can quickly switch to JPG to use digital teleconverter
Fn3 - Auto ISO selection (1 = 200-1600 1/60, 2 = 200-3200 1/80, 3 = 200-6400 1/200)
Fn4 - Custom Film Simulations
Fn5 - AF points (single/Zone/Wide)
AELAFL - AF-L
R-Dial - Focus Check Magnification

With Drive being Drive (!) everything I need is pretty much to hand, other stuff on My Menu (like ND filter) or through Q menu

Back