Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
With an old thread not having its name changed and 2 newer models since the release of the original X100 i thought there must be a demand for a new fresh owners thread for all 3 cameras.

I`ve just ordered a x100s after lusting after one for quite some time, after using a x20 and very impressed with it i managed to scrape together enough pennies for an `S` model, although there is not alot that i would want in the x100t version except classic chrome!

I own an XT-1 with the 35mm and 18-55mm. I'm. Looking at ditching the 18-55 and getting either an X100S or X100T. There's quite a price difference but is it really worth it? I appreciate the T is an upgrade but before it came out the S was raved about.

I own an XT-1 with the 35mm and 18-55mm. I'm. Looking at ditching the 18-55 and getting either an X100S or X100T. There's quite a price difference but is it really worth it? I appreciate the T is an upgrade but before it came out the S was raved about.

The image quality of the X100s will be exactly the same as the X100T ie same lens, same sensor etc. Unless you feel you need things like the Classic Chrome which is easy enough to simulate in PP and one or two other upgrades then as far as I can see there is no reason to go for the X100T. The X100S is an absolutely superb camera to use and who knows Fuji might (just might) be thinking about a firmware upgrade to bring some of the extra X100T bits to the X100S.:)

George.

Gone for an X100S from the Fuji refurb site. £575 with 12 month warranty. I'll see how it goes for a few days, I can always return it if I 'need' the X100T!

Gone for an X100S from the Fuji refurb site. £575 with 12 month warranty. I'll see how it goes for a few days, I can always return it if I 'need' the X100T!

You will not be disapointed. I've owned one since they first came out. Image quality and ease of use are brilliant and it's not too big to fit into a pocket.
It also becomes a talking point when people notice it due to its retro looks.

Thanks for costing me £575;)

Been thinking but the fuji site price has come down since i last looked and with the code it comes out cheaper that Panamoz (admittedly new).

I'll give this thread it's first photo then. I bought my X100s just before Christmas after convincing myself that I wanted one.. I now have my Fuji 23mm F1.4 for sale as the X100s is here to stay!
Not much to say but wow so far, love the small form of it and the image quality is superb!
Anyway here's my first photo I've put onto Flickr taken today whilst on a drive through the countryside.

15612734073_e9911ba791_c.jpg

So my silver X100S refurb arrived from Fuji yesterday. Apart from a single tiny scratch on the bottom it appears new. They've forgotten the neck strap though but when I checked back I saw they had a black X100S in their return store so I've bought that to compare. One has to go back, is it silver or black!?

I'll have to have a think. Definitely like the silver but I also have an XT-1 with the XF35mm which is all black. A friend is querying why I need two cameras at all but I love the look of the X100S!

I prefer the silver one, looks like an M3!

Got my silver S this morning from Fuji. A faint mark on base and a barely visible one on top, all looks good. Came with neck strap but my footprints hand strap came too so using that. Not been out yet, hope to over the weekend.

Got my X100T on Friday. Had the weekend to play - first impressions are good. To operate, it's very different to the Canon's that I've been using for the last 3 years.

With that said, it seems great! I used it all day yesterday to take pictures for some 80+ eBay listings and the macro mode is spot on! I've used it a bit more around the house and in some low light conditions and I got a lot of blurry and soft shots. I am putting that down to user error though.

I've yet to get my head around it and how to get the best out of it - especially indoors.

I can't wait to have a bash at some travel photography with it!!...

Also - do people shoot raw or jpeg on their x100/s/t?

I've only shot raw for the last 3 years but I've heard a lot about this camera favouring jpegs...

@Gadget-Guy Great shot of your little boy?

I keep reading that you should really use 85mm for portrait type shots. How do you find the 35mm fixed lens on the Fuji to capture family be it portrait shots or group shots? Do you find your positioning invasive to get up close? I have a full on DSLR kit but find it a chore to take out with the little one.

Also - do people shoot raw or jpeg on their x100/s/t?

I've only shot raw for the last 3 years but I've heard a lot about this camera favouring jpegs...

Me too, only shoot RAW on Nikon but tend to shoot jpg on Fuji as they do come out very well.

I shoot RAW and .jpeg as any picture styles selected in camera are only applied to the .jpeg images and i can play with the RAW files at a later date in Lightroom,the .jpeg images are superb if a little soft as the noise profile seems harsh so i have it set -2 in camera but again im sure this only applies to the .jpeg files and so far have not tried in camera processing yet but it has a lot of stuff you can tweek.

Portraits would be better with the Tele conversion adaptor to get a bit of compression of facial features but as long as you are careful its not bad for family stuff and i was only a few feet away from my son for the image above. Have always found 35mm a bit close and in your face with the 1DX and sold my Sigma 1.4 to fund the X100S for general family snaps while out and about but have found its a lot easier to get up close and that i can get some great captures just by the fact its with me all the time.

Forgot to mention the other advantage of shooting RAW and .jpeg is you can use an exif editor to change the image meta data so that Lightroom thinks its been taken with an X100T and then it will let you apply the lovely Classic Chrome in Lightroom ;-)

So... what do you guys use as spare batteries... the genuine Fuji one that is approx. £35 or the cheaper variants which are around a tenner each? Do the non Fuji ones keep charge well, worth getting?

I have a Hahnel battery. £17 from Jessops.

I quite like Hahnel as an aftermarket battery manufacturer and I'm not usually a fan of non-OEM parts...

I've used Hahnel for 4 cameras now with no problems. The one for my 600D was actually better than the genuine Canon one.

Can't say the same for the Fuji equivalent but it's still a good battery. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone use their x100s/t for off camera flash at high shutter speeds? Am I right in thinking it can sync at any speed?

I use my X100s with the new Nissin i40 flash and the Nissin SC-01 dedicated lead from the hot shoe and it syncs at all speeds.

George.

Well I suckered for a brand new warrantied UK stock X100s from John Lewis for £639... Too good a deal to pass on, I only ever shoot the 6d with the 35/2 on it anyway. For the slight difference in price between it and the fuji refurbished stock I have a local shop, a no-quibble warranty and a brand new camera. Result!

So, the 6d and 35/2 will head to the classifieds and I'll pony up for an apsc camera just for the 400/5.6 as a complete wildlife combo..., 1d11's are dirt cheap these days for example..

I blame you guys with your incredible shots for making me do it!

Yes, the £639 was for an ex display model on clearance in the Norwich store [and it's in great condition BTW with a full John Lewis 2 year warranty], but it turned out that John Lewis had one [and only one, sorry!] new one left in their main distribution centre and they'd match the clearance price for the new one. Seemed silly not to, an opportunity like that. Funnily, I only shoot FF with two lenses - the 35/2IS and the 400/5.6. I always want a little extra reach from the 400, and a little less weight and bulk from the 35 [which I usually shoot at f/2.8 on FF]. The more I thought about it, the more the X100 seemed to be exactly the same shooting experience [a 35/2.8-ish with a decent fill flash - which the 6D doesn't have]. I shoot jpeg never RAW, and the Fuji jpegs have a lovely rendering to them.

So, I'm thinking either a 50D or a 1D2 for the 400/5.6 to get me a 640mm equivalent, effectively boxing off a wildlife combo to pack out with, and the X100 to replace absolutely everything else I used the 6D for [travel, general shooting, the kids etc]. Selling the 6D and the 35 should put some cash back into my pocket too.... it's a really superb camera and I got a good one, but I'm not so into carrying a pile of kit these days. Missed my D-Lux 3 actually with its nice little leather case, but I'm keen for an optical finder. Tried the X100S and the XE-1 in WEx the other day.... both really lovely cameras, reminded me of my old M6 without the hassle of film!

Last edited:
That's a great shot Tom, very effective and well executed.(y)

George.

I'd find a mahoosive prime like that a bit limiting but I see where you're coming from.

I was tempted with the x100s that was in the classifieds that sold for £400!!!! Bargain!

Enjoy your new toy, I'll keep my eyes on this thread for some more pics!

That's a great shot Tom, very effective and well executed.(y)
Thanks George!

Selling the 6D [..] I'm not so into carrying a pile of kit these days.
I get that, Dan. I used my telephoto and a 2x TC for aviation and motorsport (about 5 times per year) and the rest of the time I used my prime.

I was carrying about 5-10kg of kit with me everywhere for one or two pictures. In fact, it was last summer that killed photography for me purely because of how stressful it became to carry kit!

In August I carried my 6D and all my kit up Snowdon in the hope of a few shots - I got one keeper that I could have taken on my Fuji.

In October I went all the way to London by train for one photograph and carried all my kit (a 14 hour day in the end) and again, I could have used my Fuji.

I also went to New York last August. I was so focused on my pictures I didn't take it all in like I should have. At one point, whilst in Central Park, I forgot a lens. I ended up making a 2hr round trip get it AND THEN I NEVER USED IT!!... All in all, I probably lost two days of my entire trip to focusing too much on taking pictures, rather than enjoying myself and taking it in...

It shouldn't be the way! I have since replaced my 6D, all 5 of my lenses, my 3kg tripod, my 2xTC and the rest for a Fuji X100T and a Redged travel tripod.

I've got a feeling I'll be enjoying my adventures a lot more again now!!!

Roll on summer!

Question about the T - I take it that you just use the d pad, as per my nikon dslrs to move focus points, no need to press an AF button first as on the S?

Back