Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

Agree. For me, I stripped it back to basics... Why do I take pictures?

The answer for me is three things... I document the kids and family life, I love those prime-sharp wildlife pics (zoos, birds, coastal life)... But if I'm beyond specific applications and looking for introspective answers, I'm honestly always drawn to photojournalism type rangefinder-as-art shots. Gritty, imperfect, interesting,often mono shots, the sort of books I own on photography are Alec Soth, Magnum, World Press etc.

I need a supertele prime for the wildlife (I've tried and always been somehow unimpressed by any other longer focal length solution) but for the rest I need something that's inspiring, with me and unobtrusive. The 6d is undoubtedly chasing top quality but it gets in the way, as you say, it sort of takes over and becomes the focus in itself. You know when you're using it, and so does what you're taking the photo of... I'm self conscious and understated at the best of times, the 6d doesn't fit in with my ethos. As a result my iPhone takes the slack. Good as it is, on occasion I question why I don't take the pictures I used to.

So, rather than trying to buy into a system that offers every solution I probably would be better served by two separate tools. An x100 and a discrete, separate slr/teleprime kit is the best fit for me it seems. Roll on photos for photos sake again!

Question about the T - I take it that you just use the d pad, as per my nikon dslrs to move focus points, no need to press an AF button first as on the S?
No, you still need to press a button to enable the focus points. A bit annoying - my Canon 6D did the same as your Nikon.

Unless there's a way to make that happen that I don't know about yet - it's highly customisable with regards to button functionality and screen setup IMO... So it could be possible.

Agree. For me, I stripped it back to basics... Why do I take pictures?

The answer for me is three things... I document the kids and family life, I love those prime-sharp wildlife pics (zoos, birds, coastal life)... But if I'm beyond specific applications and looking for introspective answers, I'm honestly always drawn to photojournalism type rangefinder-as-art shots. Gritty, imperfect, interesting, often mono shots, the sort of books I own on photography are Alec Soth, Magnum, World Press etc.

I need a supertele prime for the wildlife (I've tried and always been somehow unimpressed by any other longer focal length solution) but for the rest I need something that's inspiring, with me and unobtrusive. The 6d is undoubtedly chasing top quality but it gets in the way, as you say, it sort of takes over and becomes the focus in itself. You know when you're using it, and so does what you're taking the photo of... I'm self conscious and understated at the best of times, the 6d doesn't fit in with my ethos. As a result my iPhone takes the slack. Good as it is, on occasion I question why I don't take the pictures I used to.

So, rather than trying to buy into a system that offers every solution I probably would be better served by two separate tools. An x100 and a discrete, separate slr/teleprime kit is the best fit for me it seems. Roll on photos for photos sake again!

Yeah, I think that will work well too. The Fuji should have you covered 90% of the time and you can start being more a part of the events you document, rather than a spectator.

This year, I will be going to a race event and air show or two and it will be the first time where I haven't watched either from behind a camera.

Two years ago, at the BTCC and at the F1, I was so caught up in the photographs that I didn't even know who'd won both races. My boss at work asked me on Monday "who won?" and it hadn't occurred to me that I didn't know...

Crazy!

The fuji will be perfect for family stuff for you - it's built in flash works so well, which is ideal for kids parties, etc... All that amazing camera and it's only ~500 grams!!

Does anyone use their x100s/t for off camera flash at high shutter speeds? Am I right in thinking it can sync at any speed?

Not tried much yet but was another of the great features i want to try out using coupled with the built in ND filter so as to overpower the sun.
Did see that you can sync at all speeds with either a Flash TTL extension lead or using optical/infra red triggers.

Great article here about it on Strobist.com

No, you still need to press a button to enable the focus points. A bit annoying - my Canon 6D did the same as your Nikon.

Unless there's a way to make that happen that I don't know about yet - it's highly customisable with regards to button functionality and screen setup IMO... So it could be possible.

Maybe if none of the pad is customised?

what do you press to enable focus points?

You can customise all of the functionality on the pad though...

Up is macro mode - I can't remember left and right because I changed them.

Not tried much yet but was another of the great features i want to try out using coupled with the built in ND filter so as to overpower the sun.
Did see that you can sync at all speeds with either a Flash TTL extension lead or using optical/infra red triggers.

Great article here about it on Strobist.com

It was that article that got me interested in the camera to begin with :)

I have read that it will fire a Nikon flash on camera but only in Manual mode, something to do with the pin arrangement? Does anyone know if it will also fire a Profoto Air Trigger (or I guess any Nikon fit trigger) as well?

A few from the weekend and a family trip out,again as much as I love my 1DX for my motorsport the Fuji is just so much more fun and easy to carry around that I find myself enjoying taking pictures again. Looking forward to trying out the high speed sync with off camera flash on the British Superbike grid this season.

On the `S` model you press up on the d pad to go into move focus point mode.
Right, so I've had a play today and I've figured out how to change the settings so that you can get direct access to the focus points via the d-pad.
  • Press the menu button in the middle of the d-pad.
  • Go down to the settings (the blue tabs with spanners) and chose the tab marked #2.
  • In there, there is an option called 'Selector Button Settings'.
  • From that menu, you can chose 'Focus' and wala.
This gives you direct access to the AF points via the d-pad.

On another note, for anyone who does not want to pay ~£70 for a genuine fuji filter, just so you know, any 49mm screw in filter will do the job.

To some, this might be obvious but I didn't know that, personally.

Whatsmore, on eBay, you can pick up a set of HOYA 49mm screw in filters for £21 - this includes a UV, ND8, CPL and a cool little pouch to hold them in.

This is mine with a HOYA UV filter on.

hWCFvh5.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers really useful.

Sent my x100s back to Fuji. Can't fault their refurb dept. got refund a day or so later. Was not 100% with it, better than my old x100 but hankered after the T so my new T should be here Monday.

I've got an X100S, it's generally very good except the viewfinder somehow lets in a lot of dust (there's even a bit of lint in there, no idea how it gets in). I have rangefinders from the 1960s to the 1990s and these have nothing like the amount of gubbins in there a 1(ish) year old Fuji has. Very very poor Fuji. Mine started collecting from day 3 of ownership, this is even after taping over the diopter dial. Nothing is loose or has an obvious gap. I've given it a good blow with a rocket blower and the dust just stays there. I'm at a loss.

Played with an X100T the other day, to me it seemed like a worthwhile upgrade, it might seem on paper that it's just a minor upgrades, however when those upgrades are summed together in your hand it's well worth it. The build quality on the T seems much better than the S, viewfinder is better, rear screen is better, buttons seem more tactile and responsive (they seem to get in the way for me on the X100S). iirc they've removed that bloody annoying spinning wheel on the T as well! I'm always accidentally nudging that on the S.

I think the T is the camera the X100/S should have been.

Having said all that the X100S is the only digital camera I've decided to keep after going to film :) (and maybe the Ricoh GR, but that's simply because I've hardly put any frames on it....). There is something special about how it captures light. I'll probably get the 50mm for it soon as that's my preferred focal length. 35mm seems a bit 'meh' to me.

Do wish the store in Asia had a black one in stock tho... stuck with the silver one.

Actually one last thing. Why can't Fuji just go the whole hog and make this not only look like a film camera but perform like one as well. I don't wan't all these stupid settings that just get in the way. My ideal camera from Fuji, let's call it the X200 (as it would be a vast upgrade to most photographers), would be the X100S lens (well, maybe make it 40mm f1.4 :) ), sensor, shutter, and shell :

1) Add a dedicated hardware dial for ISO.
2) Add a dedicated hardware dial to change the film type (colour, B&W, etc)
3) Remove the digital screen from the back
4) Remove the EVF, keep the OVF but de-clutter it. All I want are parallax corrected framelines, a light meter, and a real rangefinder patch.
5) DoF scale on the lens.
6) A 'rewind' (format) button.
7) Mechanical focus, not fly by wire.
8) A 'shots remaining/taken' counter.

Nothing else. No other buttons. No stupid menus, no silly Q button, nothing. Just the basics you need to get a shot without distraction. AWB is so good you don't need a button for it. Maybe, just maybe I'd allow a jpeg/jpeg+RAW/RAW switch, but that would be pushing it :D. It would be amazing to only view your pictures once you're home!

The thing that puzzles me about all these digital cameras is this... film cameras are really well built and some (OM series, XA series, Contax G, etc.) are very compact and yet feature full frame lenses and 'sensors'. What is preventing all the digital circuits from being squeezed in where the film goes :D?.

Last edited:
Sent my x100s back to Fuji. Can't fault their refurb dept. got refund a day or so later. Was not 100% with it, better than my old x100 but hankered after the T so my new T should be here Monday.
You won't regret it, I don't think. :)

Played with an X100T the other day, to me it seemed like a worthwhile upgrade, it might seem on paper that it's just a minor upgrades, however when those upgrades are summed together in your hand it's well worth it. The build quality on the T seems much better than the S, viewfinder is better, rear screen is better, buttons seem more tactile and responsive (they seem to get in the way for me on the X100S).
Yeah, the Digital Rev review said similar - IIRC, Kai said that the T was the first one he would consider owning. A lot of reviews have also said that the T was the camera that they should have released originally.

I really wasn't sure about whether to get an S or a T because ~£300 saving was appealing. But the general consensus across the review websites was that the T is worth the extra money (particularly where the EVF is concerned). For me, another one of the big selling points was the -3EV, which is something I quite liked about my Canon 6D.

iirc they've removed that bloody annoying spinning wheel on the T as well! I'm always accidentally nudging that on the S.
Yeah, they have... You can get a really good run down on the differences here: http://www.fujivsfuji.com/x100t-vs-x100s-vs-x100/

1) Add a dedicated hardware dial for ISO.
2) Add a dedicated hardware dial to change the film type (colour, B&W, etc)
3) Remove the digital screen from the back
4) Remove the EVF, keep the OVF but de-clutter it. All I want are parallax corrected framelines, a light meter, and a real rangefinder patch.
5) DoF scale on the lens.
6) A 'rewind' (format) button.
7) Mechanical focus, not fly by wire.
8) A 'shots remaining/taken' counter.

Nothing else. No other buttons. No stupid menus, no silly Q button, nothing. Just the basics you need to get a shot without distraction. AWB is so good you don't need a button for it. Maybe, just maybe I'd allow a jpeg/jpeg+RAW/RAW switch, but that would be pushing it :D. It would be amazing to only view your pictures once you're home!

The thing that puzzles me about all these digital cameras is this... film cameras are really well built and some (OM series, XA series, Contax G, etc.) are very compact and yet feature full frame lenses and 'sensors'. What is preventing all the digital circuits from being squeezed in where the film goes :D?.
Interesting list - I've thought about a few of those features myself (particularly 1 and 8). I do like the Q button though.

I wish it would shoot raw in ISO100. I know that many cameras only fake their ISO100 by adjusting the tone curves on the raw file to mimic a ISO100 and Fuji just opted to not do that - but it would still be nice. With my previous cameras, I would always strive to use ISO100 and I can't take this Fuji using a higher ISO all of the time. I know it's hardly noticeable and the Fuji does it so beautifully but it just bugs me.

Which is also why I kind've wish it was FF with a 35mm. Perhaps that's one for the future...

I know I only just bought this X100T, but if they released a FF version that was of an equal quality to the T, I would be selling up tomorrow.

If anyone is considering upgrading to the T and want to shift their X100 or S, I have a post in the wanted section ;-)

I miss my X100 and my XE-2, so want to get back into the fuji family.

There is (or was) a 100 in the sale section the other day. fuji refurb have the S and with paypal10 code it comes in at 575 inc postage.

Yeah saw that, but Im looking to spend less than £350 on a normal and no more than £400 on an S. The one in the classifieds says no offers and has a load of extras I don't really need or want to pay the extra for.

Think the last S on here was around 500 so think u would struggle to get one at 400.

Some nice shots there Glen, not overly keen on the colour shot but the two B&W shots are very nice with a full range of tones, a good sky, and nice composition.(y)

George.

Well, the T turned up today. Had a quick play and setup and initial impressions are very good. Much prefer the button layout to past models. Love the cleaner look. Seems very responsive and looking forward to getting out and about with it.

wow wow wow, real inspiration here, I really must use my X100s more often! - Thanks for the encouragement here guys!

I own an XT-1 with the 35mm and 18-55mm. I'm. Looking at ditching the 18-55 and getting either an X100S or X100T. There's quite a price difference but is it really worth it? I appreciate the T is an upgrade but before it came out the S was raved about.
I own an X-T1 with the 18-55mm lens and was considering getting the 35mm f1.4. I thought that kit might keep me satisfied for a while. However, I went into a shop the other day to try out the 35mm f1.4 and was somewhat disappointed with the build quality. The aperture ring seemed very loose and under florescent lighting, there was a bizarre flickering on the live view and EVF that was very off-putting (this does not happen at all on the 18-55mm). Also, it seemed very slow to focus. Could this have been a faulty second hand lens? To any X100T owners, do you get the same flickering when using live view?

It would not be a big loss to me if I were to swap the X-T1 for the X100T, as I did actually win it in a photo competition, so this is something I'm seriously considering doing. I don't have much spare cash atm to invest in other lenses anyway, and since I do a lot of street photography, I think the X100T would suit my style of photography. I'm also looking for a good performer in low light and I like the compact size of the X100. I'm aware that the X100T has a 35mm equivalent lens, whereas the 35mm lens on an X-T1 is more like a 50mm, but I also know you can get a tele-convertor for the X100T. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice to offer swapping to an X100T from the kit I've got?

Hi Jono1,

Didn't the New Firmware update Cure the Problems for the X-T1?

Last edited:
I've not actually tested the 35mm with the firmware update... I'll have to pop back into the shop and give it a whirl. Do you have similar gear? Or do you know of anyone that does and likes the set up? The more I think about, the more I want to sell and buy an X100T. That's a bit of a gamble though as I don't know whether the X-T1 will sell for enough money to afford an X100T

I had the 35 on my old xpro and it was a beautiful lens. Very solid and well made I thought.

That's another very nice shot Glen, once again a full range of tones, good composition and a really nice sky.(y)

George.

I sold my X100 when the S came out to buy one ( actually, Mrs A bought it for me, it was over £1100! I sold it last year to fund a different camera, but now, I miss my X100s. Luckily, I am in a position to buy another and just ordered a refurb from Fuji. The old discount code still works and I got £60 off!
Should be here early next week. :clap:

Allan

I've owned a XF 35mm f/1.4 for quite a while and can say the build quality is superb, It's probably my favourite lens of the four Fuji primes I own, it produces excellent colours and rendering. LOVE it!

Back