Fuji x100

tumblr_mpyi9kdZ1F1qbj755o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpyha39Dll1qbj755o1_1280.jpg

Did you have it in ND mode to get noisier photos for the B&W on purpose? I only ask because it seems strange (to me) to boost the ISO amd have ND on rather than turn ND off and lower the ISO.

Great photos by the way.

I left the ISO on Auto (up to 3200), so I had presumed it would be at ISO 200/400 or thereabouts in those sunny conditions (just checked, those are at ISO400). As I was moving from full sun to shade but was happy to shoot wide open all day so I left the ND on to help avoid over-exposing

Auto iso is great on these camera. On the x100s i often leave it to auto 3200 too. Its that good a performer you shouldn't need worry on it once set. It will indeed select ISO 200 if the lighting is good enough. The idea of the ND filter is to shoot wide open, at f/2, in bright conditions, without blowing highlights.

Shame there isn't an 'auto nd-filter' mode - that would be handy.

Shame there isn't an 'auto nd-filter' mode - that would be handy.

Just set ND to the fn button when heading out on brighter days. That's what I do. It's easy forget whether it's on or off, so be wary of the icon for it on the LCD. I have been caught out, taking pics away, wondering why my shutter speed is so slow on A mode! then realised the ND was on. But you get used to checking for it.

I wonder if the OP would change this thread to include the X100s? Because they are essentially very much same body, just a few tweaks on the newer S

Anyway, I'll ask in here as I can't actually find the other thread. Has anyone got the EF-20 flash unit? Mine just arrived today,and I'm finding it VERY tight to get onto the hot shoe. Even harder to pull it off after.

Last edited:
Just set ND to the fn button when heading out on brighter days. That's what I do. It's easy forget whether it's on or off, so be wary of the icon for it on the LCD. I have been caught out, taking pics away, wondering why my shutter speed is so slow on A mode! then realised the ND was on. But you get used to checking for it.

I wonder if the OP would change this thread to include the X100s? Because they are essentially very much same body, just a few tweaks on the newer S

Anyway, I'll ask in here as I can't actually find the other thread. Has anyone got the EF-20 flash unit? Mine just arrived today,and I'm finding it VERY tight to get onto the hot shoe. Even harder to pull it off after.

Yep, ive got the same set up with mine, just that an auto nd filter option seems so obvious i can't understand why it isn't implemented!

I left the ISO on Auto (up to 3200), so I had presumed it would be at ISO 200/400 or thereabouts in those sunny conditions (just checked, those are at ISO400). As I was moving from full sun to shade but was happy to shoot wide open all day so I left the ND on to help avoid over-exposing

Ah right. That makes sense. Just thought you'd set it to have a high ISO on purpose.

What JPG settings do you all use?

RAW is fine but for the sort of non critical shooting I do, I think I would prefer to use JPGs - going back to the days of my Oly E-510 the OOC JPGs were sublime, and reading about the X100 it is capable of similarly awesome JPGS, but the settings need some tweaking.

Do you guys have any recommended settings - sharpness, colour etc etc.

I emd up in lightroom mo matter if i shoot RAW or Jpeg, so may as well have the better file. I delete the raw files once i have completed processing and exported all jpegs i wish to keep.

I'm not really looking to compare JPGs with RAW - if I can get 90% of an image's "look" without doing anything then that's what I want - quick workflow!

Just wondered if there was anything in the settings that should definitely be applied with regards to sharpening/contrast etc.

Well then the answer would be - depends on the conditions, because you're going to want your WB spot on for starters.

Just ordered another X100 after being disappointed a few months ago, hopefully 1.30 has much improved the AF.

Surely an X100S would serve you better there?

From what Ive read and heard from someone I know, its not that much of an upgrade, the AF certainly isnt much better than the X100 and the X100 sensor colours Ive seen look better than the X100s colours.

I wouldnt spend £1k on a second system that isnt interchangeable.

From what Ive read and heard from someone I know, its not that much of an upgrade, the AF certainly isnt much better than the X100 and the X100 sensor colours Ive seen look better than the X100s colours.

I wouldnt spend £1k on a second system that isnt interchangeable.

I've not used one so I'm not saying this is 100% correct but from what I've read it's a great upgrade. The autofocus is supposed to be much faster and if it's like the X20 or X-E1 it would be a big improvement but not perfect and not as quick as the Olympus OM-D.

Also, the button layout, although similar is much better with the autofocus select button being placed for use with your right hand. Sounds small but it's a massive difference in usability. Oh, and the Q button is another great move.

The final 'biggy' is the new sensor. Looking at test samples taken with the camera it is unbelievably sharp and the lack of noise up to 6400 is astonishing.

If I had the money I'd upgrade in an instant but everybody is different but I love my X100 and the improvements in the X100s are spot on for what I would want.

Last edited:
Regarding AF this video is pretty informative
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd_YXiOxjE

The ergonomics and menus would be the main reason to go for it and also the closer focusing but for me personally its not worth another £500.

Iso6400, I shoot full frame and never go that high, if its a main camera I guess you may use it as you have no other choice but if you have another system that's better you'd just use that. I'd rather have the better colour straight out of camera but everyone has different needs.

Good hearing from an existing x100 user though, I guess I'm waiting for fuji to drop a xp1 with m43 focus, that would be a system that I'd sell all my other gear for.

Last edited:
Colin, does the xe-1 focus faster than the x100, with say the 35mm?

Last edited:
Haven't used my X100 for some weeks, but took it with me on a recent TP meet to Skokholm Island and shot some landscape stuff with it:

Just processed this one so far, may post some more later:

Wallsend Bay par Keith Burton, on ipernity

Colin, does the xe-1 focus faster than the x100, with say the 35mm?

I've only tried it a few times and it was with the kit lens. It felt quite snappy but the speed of the Olympus won me over so I went for that because I was replacing my DSLR kit and have two very young kids. I needed at least one camera with ultra fast focus.

I still use my X100 a lot but the X20 I've just bought is much easier to use because if the focus speed and the button layout.

I never go up to ISO 6400 myself because it usually ends up with extremely grainy images but from the sample images I've seen with the X100s at 6400 they're very usable.

But at 3200 and below the noise was very hard to see. Have you seen any sample shots on review websites. It looks very impressive and sharper than anything else they tested.

I don't worry about the colours too much. I edit any keepers anyway to get them exactly how I want them so it's not a big deal.

The X100s seems to be coming down in price on import models. It's £860 on Panamoz and £889 on Digitalrev.

I'm getting tempted to sell a couple of lenses and upgrade :)

The X100s seems to be coming down in price on import models. It's £860 on Panamoz and £889 on Digitalrev.

I'm getting tempted to sell a couple of lenses and upgrade :)

Ill help your decision, £828 at One Stop Digital. ;)

Ill help your decision, £828 at One Stop Digital. ;)

Oooh, it does help :) are they the 'all in' price with one stop? I've used Panamoz and they were great, and Digitalrev always get good feedback. Never used one stop digital before though

Id rather pay the little extra and be guaranteed by the CC company.

Well it's a UK bank account that you transfer to so it's easily traceable. I've not had any issues with other grey importers but I know where you're coming from.

You can get a refurbished one from the Fuji shop for 899.99 less £90 on code:
paypal12 You Pay only £809.99 with a full UK guarantee.

One thing I'd suggest to any X100 owners thinking on trading - do it NOW. Because if the prices continue to fall for the X100s, your X100 won't fetch as much used.

The only thing is that a lot of their stock isnt as new, scratched etc.
Hi twist

ive had a few original x100's from there and the cameras were as new (the boxes on some were a little scruffy though)

Some get lucky a lot are also scratched on the bottom. Easy return but you pay return postage.

Some get lucky a lot are also scratched on the bottom. Easy return but you pay return postage.

Either ive been lucky or you've been unlucky then!

Also, whenever i have had to return a camera to fuji, they have sent me a prepaid bag to return the camera.

Not just me. Perhaps because youre a repeat customer. Why would you buy so many x100's and why did you send so many cameras back if they were all mint?

Last edited:
I have just had an X20 delivered from them (this lunch time) It looked absolutely perfect.
However the viewfinder was faulty. They will have another one with me on Monday, with the prepaid packing to send the first one back.

I also had a perfect condition x10 from them last year.

Mostly the refurbished are ones sent back as unwanted from distance sellers. They can't sell them as new so you get an excellent deal. The repair centre checked and serviced and replaces X10 sensors for the whole of Europe.

I have never heard of anyone who was unsatisfied with what they got.

It has never cost me a penny to send anything back, including a replacement "Orbit" sensor on the X10.

There are literally dozens of Referb purchases on the X10 thread and no one had problems about condition.

Not just me. Perhaps because youre a repeat customer. Why would you buy so many x100's and why did you send so many cameras back if they were all mint?

Initially i returned due to faulty sensor, i asked for the replacement to come from a newer batch, which fuiji failed to do (twice!).

My camera also recently had a faulty rear lcd, but fuji instead replaced the lens assembly, so i had to return it to them to get the lcd replaced.

fuji had to send a camera to me 6 times in total (i think...)

May i be excused from the bench your honour!

Initially i returned due to faulty sensor, i asked for the replacement to come from a newer batch, which fuiji failed to do (twice!).

My camera also recently had a faulty rear lcd, but fuji instead replaced the lens assembly, so i had to return it to them to get the lcd replaced.

fuji had to send a camera to me 6 times in total (i think...)

May i be excused from the bench your honour!

Seems even worse than a few scratches. I wouldn't call a faulty sensor or rear lcd as new or lucky, perhaps cosmetically but surely refurbs get tested?!

"From time to time, limited quantities of FUJIFILM digital cameras are returned to us by UK retailers. Every camera that is returned in this way is extensively inspected and tested by FUJIFILM's trained technicians."

6 times no wonder they sent you prepaid envelopes!!! They sound incompetent. I sent back for refund thats probably why I never got a prepaid envelope. Obviously if it fails it qualifies.

You are dismissed. The only reason I asked was to clarify why you got a prepaid envelope.

Last edited:
Seems even worse than a few scratches. I wouldn't call a faulty sensor or rear lcd as new or lucky, perhaps cosmetically but surely refurbs get tested?!

"From time to time, limited quantities of FUJIFILM digital cameras are returned to us by UK retailers. Every camera that is returned in this way is extensively inspected and tested by FUJIFILM's trained technicians."

6 times no wonder they sent you prepaid envelopes!!! They sound incompetent. I sent back for refund thats probably why I never got a prepaid envelope. Obviously if it fails it qualifies.

You are dismissed. The only reason I asked was to clarify why you got a prepaid envelope.

Oops, i mis-spoke, was a faulty lens unit (the sticky aperture blades problem) not a faulty sensor.... And the rear lcd may have been a user error, but fuji were happy to replace.

Oops, i mis-spoke, was a faulty lens unit (the sticky aperture blades problem) not a faulty sensor.... And the rear lcd may have been a user error, but fuji were happy to replace.

You had put me off a refurbished, now I'm not so sure again.

A refurbished X100s is £810 and onestopdigital is £812 brand new but grey import.

Arrggghhh, it's hard. But I think I've decided I'm definitely getting one soon. Just need to sell my X100 and Olympus 75mm lens :)

Last edited:
Colin, believe it or not i would buy from them again. Although the above may seem a tale of woe, despite the number of cameras sent back fore, there were only 2 faults, and both faults were fixed in a week (ish...). One of those faults was a known fault on the x100 (sticky aperture blade) and the second was possibly my fault, but was fixed without quibble (but did need to be returned a second time....).

if either of these faults occurred with a grey import im not sure how long it would take to get fixed, but id be surprised if it was as quick as you could get from fuji uk.

Back