Fuji x100

A picture from my morning walk. This guy made me laugh, if he wasn't farting he was pulling faces lol not the best picture but nice comedy value :D

Another from this morning, quickly getting the hang of it and loving it so far.

Took my X100 out for the first time today, love it! A completely silent camera is going to take a bit of getting used to, enjoyed day one but heavy rain meant it went away earlier than expected, I wasn't sure how it react to a good soaking.

A few quirks that will take some getting used to, the EVF is incredibly dark out in sunlight (as is the immediate review of a taken image), is that normal? I'm using the OVF generally so not a big deal, but I was surprised by the difference between OVF and EVF.

Castle Combe Wessex Chambers Raceday by Harry_S, on Flickr

Castle Combe Wessex Chambers Raceday by Harry_S, on Flickr

Tried the camera out doing street photography. Felt so easy to grab quick pics of people and came back with a couple shots that I quite like. Heres one of a homeless guy that said he didn't want to beg so was busking. He'd been there for about 5 hours and in total made £1. Just after this shot was taken council workers moved him on.

Cropped

Also I think Snow White lost Grumpy :) he even had the hat.

John, no pic visible for me!

Hello, who among you have a soft shutter release button attached to their x100. I do have one and it keeps on falling from the camera. I already tried using a Teflon tape and wrap it on its thread, but still the soft shutter release keeps on falling.

If you have one attached to your x100, how do you securely attached it to prevent it from falling? Thanks

Hello, who among you have a soft shutter release button attached to their x100. I do have one and it keeps on falling from the camera. I already tried using a Teflon tape and wrap it on its thread, but still the soft shutter release keeps on falling.

If you have one attached to your x100, how do you securely attached it to prevent it from falling? Thanks

I had the same problem - I lost my bug soft shutter release within days. I bought another and this time I used a drop of Loctite Threadlocker and it is still there 12 months later. You can buy it from model shops and Halfords stock it too I believe.

Just noticed something weird. Took the x100 out tonight and shot in raw & jpg fine. When processing in LR, RAW files are standard 3:2 ratio, but the jpg files are all slightly more rectangular (approx 3:1.7 ratio).

Anyone else noticed the same?

I had the same problem - I lost my bug soft shutter release within days. I bought another and this time I used a drop of Loctite Threadlocker and it is still there 12 months later. You can buy it from model shops and Halfords stock it too I believe.

Can you still remove the shutter release button on your camera? I thought of this solution but I'm worried that I wont be able to remove it if I need to use a shutter release cable on my x100. Thanks

Thought I would share a few from a late evening walk yesterday;

1. Old barn
9079964862_bd44fdf6b8_z.jpg

2. Church
9079967836_28ee501497_z.jpg

3. Graves
9079966166_18478c9b53_z.jpg

Well, turns out the X100 is the perfect travel camera! Had a little wander around China and didn't miss my old 5D kit at all.

There are a few more pictures on my site at http://28fixed.com

Just loving the Wall shot. Not used my X100 for a few months, might have to dust it off.

I thought id lost the lens cap for my X100, after trawling the internet I was horrified at the price of a replacement - £25.00 excluding delivery for a piece of metal with felt inside, ridiculous! Im glad nowhere had it in stock though because I managed to find it today :D It was in my wash basket with a load of dirty laundry, no idea how it got in there but glad its turned up :p

Well, turns out the X100 is the perfect travel camera! Had a little wander around China and didn't miss my old 5D kit at all.

There are a few more pictures on my site at http://28fixed.com

phil2.JPG

Love this shot by the way! (y)

Last edited:
Just noticed something weird. Took the x100 out tonight and shot in raw & jpg fine. When processing in LR, RAW files are standard 3:2 ratio, but the jpg files are all slightly more rectangular (approx 3:1.7 ratio).

Any thoughts peeps???

Also, anyone used the little Fuji flash for this? An SB900 on top does not handle too well!

I thought id lost the lens cap for my X100, after trawling the internet I was horrified at the price of a replacement - £25.00 excluding delivery for a piece of metal with felt inside, ridiculous! Im glad nowhere had it in stock though because I managed to find it today :D It was in my wash basket with a load of dirty laundry, no idea how it got in there but glad its turned up :p

It would be cheaper to buy a 3rd part filter adapter ring and use a pinch cap..But not as good as finding the one you lost!

Maybe the extra is to allow for lens distortion correction before saving as a 3:2 JPEG?

Isn't the focal length a bit boring on these X100 cameras? It's a focal length I like, but not one that would keep me interested forever. Isn't a better choice one of the m4/3 bodies & a pancake?

35mm isn't something I'd stick with for long, which is why I wouldn't get one. A 50mm would probably interest me though.

So far I've not had the urge for zoom on my X100s [exact same lens I believe?]

I'm only using it as a side camera of course. It's not replacing anything.

I should add I have actually found it a little tight indoors a few times! If it were longer that would become an issue for me. And it's so light and easy to handle of course, those few steps forward are all the easier to get closer to subjects.

You can buy a WA adapter, which takes it from 35mm [FX equiv] to 28mm, but it's not enough of a change to warrant the price. If they did happen to bring out an extender for it, to take it beyond 60-70mm, I may well be interested though. Ive got a raynox for it and thinking it would make for some great macro with a longer focal length.

Last edited:
A few weeks in to X100 ownership, don't think I've ever been so happy with a camera. I love the versatility of my X-E1/18-55/55-200 combo, and that comes in useful for specific things (i.e. motorsport), but my X100 almost never leaves my side.

Still struggling a little with the minimum focus distance, sometimes it will just nail something reasonably close straight away, other times it just gives up on something a full arms length away. Switching in and out of macro is a bit of a pain, it feels like the mfd should be about half the distance it actually is.

This took about 4 attempts, first 3 it just flat out refused to focus even when trying to lock on contrasty bits, 4th time it snapped straight onto it no problem, weird...

Kennet and Avon Canal - Evening Stroll by Harry_S, on Flickr

Last edited:
New owner here, just took delivery of a black special edition, looking good so far but definitely not without its quirks!

Am I right in that the filter thread is back to front? I'm trying to think of a way to mount a 52mm CPL, which I think would need an adaptor ring with a f49mm thread on one side and a f52mm on the other, but I've never encountered such a thing!

Looking forward to getting out with it this weekend :)

New owner here, just took delivery of a black special edition, looking good so far but definitely not without its quirks!

Am I right in that the filter thread is back to front? I'm trying to think of a way to mount a 52mm CPL, which I think would need an adaptor ring with a f49mm thread on one side and a f52mm on the other, but I've never encountered such a thing!

Looking forward to getting out with it this weekend :)

You can get adapter rings on amazon. Awaiting one here, a step up 49 to 52, think it was only about a fiver. I have a raynox macro lens I want to try out with it

You can get adapter rings on amazon. Awaiting one here, a step up 49 to 52, think it was only about a fiver. I have a raynox macro lens I want to try out with it
Hi, thanks for this, had a look on Amazon but couldn't find anything suitable, probably because I'm using my phone... Will have a proper look later (y)

Slightly disappointed that the supplied hood gubbins doesn't have a 52mm adaptor included, unlike the X10 one... Unless I'm being a bit thick. Took me weeks to work out that the X10 hood unscrewed to allow easy mounting of 52mm filters :bonk:

Still struggling a little with the minimum focus distance, sometimes it will just nail something reasonably close straight away, other times it just gives up on something a full arms length away. Switching in and out of macro is a bit of a pain, it feels like the mfd should be about half the distance it actually is.

This took about 4 attempts, first 3 it just flat out refused to focus even when trying to lock on contrasty bits, 4th time it snapped straight onto it no problem, weird...

Although fairly new to the X100 I've found that for anything closer than about 2-3m I'm better off using MF. Then it's just a case of pressing the AEL/AFL button to lock focus then reframing. The only time this hasn't worked was when I tried to close-focus on a narrow vertical subject (with the camera held in landscape). Turning the camera to portrait format locked focus straight away and I was able to recompose. I find this method much easier then messing with macro.

Back