Fuji x100

So far so good. V2.00 looks okay here, lives up to what is says in the release notes, no unexpected issues.

So far so good. V2.00 looks okay here, lives up to what is says in the release notes, no unexpected issues.

In in Vienna at the moment so can't download it :( Would have loved to try it out in the field, as it were.

Having said that, in happy enough with the current camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emcw/10334157044/

Last edited:
Yup, no initial problems after upgrading. I'll give it a good workout at the weekend. First impressions are that the focus is definitely faster and more decisive. However, I have had a couple of misfocussed shots when going from one end of the focal range to the other.

Releasing firmware updates for a discontinued model, and moreover they deliver significant improvements? :eek:

Kudos to Fuji. It's stuff like this that makes me seriously consider buying one of their cameras. :cool:

I agree. It's very impressive.

Very, very impressed with Fuji. Has this ever happened before? I wish more companies thought like Fuji, the goodwill generated by this will be significant.

Hi, Well I've finally got my hands on an X100s and have spent some time today setting it up to my liking. Not had a chance to take any shots in anger yet but the few I've taken around the house and garden etc, etc are very sharp and well exposed. Seems like one whole good bit of kit to me.

Very happy with firmware V2, thank you Fuji,
now how about a face detection upgrade?!:)

X100 firmware v2.0 is out here

From the Fuji website:

The firmware update Ver.2.00 form ver.1.30 incorporates the following issues:
1.Improvement of AF speed
Approximately 20% faster AF speed is achieved in various conditions such as bright scenes, dark scenes and changed focus distance compared to the previous firmware version.
2.Improvement of close-up focus performance
The focus distance from the lens surface without switching to macro mode is approximately 30% shorter compared to previous firmware version.
3."Focus Peak Highlight" function for manual focusing is added.
The function, which features on FUJIFILM X100S and X20, is added and assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
* With this update, "Focus Peak Highlight" function is selected as a default setting. Pressing the center of the command dial for a while enables you to switch the setting of "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD" (off of "Focus Peak Highlight"). And "MF ASSIST" is added in SHOOTING MENU where you can select "HIGH" and "LOW" in "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD".
4.Improved manual focus operation
This makes it easier to capture the peak of the focus by displaying the image with shallow depth of field, using open aperture, when adjusting the focus with the electronic view finder or the LCD.
5.Faster start-up time
The camera start-up time is shortened by approximately 0.2 second with QUICK START mode OFF.
6.Improved operability of selecting focus area
Previously, the focus area was selected while holding the AF button on the back. With the upgraded firmware, pressing the AF button will switch to the focus area selection screen and the area of your choice can then be selected.
7.The phenomenon is fixed that a camera will automatically turn off during "Bulb (B)" shooting with the "CONTINUOUS" setting in "IMAGE DISP."

Thanks Dave.........Alby also gave me a heads-up! Been waiting for this. I did the upgrade about half an hour ago, will have a play tomorrow :)

Upgrade done. Can definitely feel an improved with AF. I haven't tried the focus peaking as yet. A good upgrade to an already brilliant camera.

As others have said, it's fantastic that Fuji still roll out upgrades for what is a discontinued camera. You don't see that often.

Kudos to Fujifilm. Installed the new firmware and the auto focus has certainly improved. They are certainly a company who care. As an early adopter of the X10, the way they sorted out the 'orb' issue was extremely impressive and must have cost them a fortune. As a comparioson, Nikon don't seem to be so forthcoming with sorting out the obvious D600 sensor oil flaw. This firmware update which gives an out of production camera a new lease of life is much appreciated. I will not hesitate to buy Fujifilm products in the future.

I'm feeling sorely tempted by Sony's new A7, but all I need is for Fuji to rock up with the oft-rumoured full-frame X-mount camera and I'd be totally sold... :cool: :naughty:

Kudos to Fujifilm. Installed the new firmware and the auto focus has certainly improved. They are certainly a company who care. As an early adopter of the X10, the way they sorted out the 'orb' issue was extremely impressive and must have cost them a fortune. As a comparioson, Nikon don't seem to be so forthcoming with sorting out the obvious D600 sensor oil flaw. This firmware update which gives an out of production camera a new lease of life is much appreciated. I will not hesitate to buy Fujifilm products in the future.

It really is great that theyve done it, not only for Fuji users but it should also encourage other companies too, in order to increase competition. In such a saturated market something like this goes a long way in terms of brand loyalty so whilst good for Fuji users it will also be good for us consumers in general as hopefully more companies will bring it in. If not, well, I guess ill have to get another Fuji ;)

Upgraded mine in the night... seems faster in focus but haven't had a field test yet. I applaud Fuji, but as much as I love the camera, I also felt actually they didn't give me a reliable camera... at least not for street and urban photography that tends to require speedy AF. Hopefully this brings it up a notch in real terms...

Upgraded mine in the night... seems faster in focus but haven't had a field test yet. I applaud Fuji, but as much as I love the camera, I also felt actually they didn't give me a reliable camera... at least not for street and urban photography that tends to require speedy AF. Hopefully this brings it up a notch in real terms...

Which is why I sold mine. I tend to do mainly portraits, or people pics, so decent af is key. Looks wise it was 11/10 but couldn't live with it. It has taken a while though to address these issues.

Upgrade to 2.0 went well. Seems a tad snappier, slightly closer non-macro mode, doesn't make a huge difference to the way I shoot.

Few snaps from the park this morning:

20131020-DSCF0058.jpg

20131020-DSCF0082.jpg

20131020-DSCF0042.jpg

Hi, Well I collected a new X100s last thursday and have managed to give it a really good work out today. Nothing special just the regular type of test shots etc using most of the facilities the camera has to offer. All I can say is it sure does live up to all the good things I've heard about them.

Optically it's stunning, shots are perfectly usable even at F2.0, take it down a stop and images are really really sharp. The metering is deadly accurate and it copes very well with harsh lighting. The little flash seems to balance with ambient light perfectly, cut the flash output and you have perfect fill flash. I could go on but I'll not bore you guys anymore with my findings.

I've never used any other similar type of camera that even comes close to the quality of one of these.

One very happy bunny!:)

Lovely colours. OOC Velvia?

Upgrade to 2.0 went well. Seems a tad snappier, slightly closer non-macro mode, doesn't make a huge difference to the way I shoot.

Few snaps from the park this morning:

I've got VSCO 04. I went mad with it at first and started to get too used to the heavy saturation. Quite dangerous! Of course you can dial things down. Great film pack though. I also use the new VSCO rival, Replichrome. It's very good with custom profiles for just about every camera out there.

Not quite. RAW + VSCO4 + tweaks. VSCO4 is a pack that simulates some films including velvia, so it probably isn't a million miles off OOC Velvia, I should do a comparison some time :)

Last edited:
I've got VSCO 04. I went mad with it at first and started to get too used to the heavy saturation. Quite dangerous! Of course you can dial things down. Great film pack though. I also use the new VSCO rival, Replichrome. It's very good with custom profiles for just about every camera out there.

Very true, the velvias are very heavy sat indeed.

My normal go to for a less obvious look is Astia--

I feel the AF is much better/quicker following firmware upgrade 2.0.How do others find it?.

I feel the AF is much better/quicker following firmware upgrade 2.0.How do others find it?.
Haven't used it in anger yet, but even just messing with mine indoors seems quicker generally.

It will be interesting to find out the difference between x100s and x100 now, in terms of focusing speed.Does anyone have both?

For me it's the biggest improvement by far. It's almost as though some of the hardware has been replaced! Quite a staggering improvement. Liking the focus peaking, different colours would've been nice. It's nice that you can easily switch it on and off by holding down the commander toggle switch thingy.

Forget the autofocus, manual focus is finally useable!

Last edited:
So how close does this update bring the X100 to X100s performance wise?

Tempted to sell my DSLR kit and replace for something I feel like taking out and about.

I'm thinking of upgrading my X10 in favour of the X100s. Have any of you done that and are glad you made the transition?

I'm impressed bythe qualiy of the image in some very difficult lighting enviroments. Is the ND filter any good or just a gimmick ?

It's an ND filtre. Lowers the exposure by 3 stops. Nothing gimmicky about it I don't think.

Yep, works perfectly well :) Just need to remember to take it off, I often would forget and then wonder why everything came out underexposed in daylight :thinking:

the ND is to overcome leaf shutter limitations, allowing you to shoot f2 1/800s under harsh sunshine. It's a great little addition, well thought out.

Thanks for the claifiication, I know what it is and what it's used for. I perhaps should asked as to the quality of it and is it effective. Thanks again. I'm seriously thinking of picking one of these up and there are some very good deals arround at the moment.

I'm thinking of upgrading my X10 in favour of the X100s. Have any of you done that and are glad you made the transition......

I sold my X100 and bought an X100s, keeping my X10.
Then, I was seduced in a local camera shop by a silver X20. The Devil made me buy it.
Now, I have the perfect pair
Allan

Back