Fuji x100

I've installed v2.01 and now I can't seem to get gridlines or the horizon on the OVF? Any ideas? my I being thick of have they been removed?

Never mind it was set, but it wasn;t registering for some reason, I had something similar with the ISO button where it wouldn't work. I deselected it then reselected it and it was fine.

Had a few days in North Wales over the weekend. It rained incessantly for three days. Got a handful of snaps during the one hour break from the deluge when the clouds broke and we had some blue sky. Followed by a lovely sunset.

With V2 firmware. Not that you'd be able to tell :LOL:

i-KLx8FKV-XL.jpg

i-V2wBPMV-XL.jpg

i-LsKcTN3-XL.jpg

i-dfNbSSP-XL.jpg

i-XwwVZnb-XL.jpg
Nice images mate, really like #2 and #3!

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked already - I'm on a super slow EDGE connection in Thailand :/
I would like to pick up either the X100 or X100s (with VAT rebate the S is pretty cheap over here).

Could someone who has owned both cameras please let me know which they prefer purely in terms of image quality? I don't mean pixel peeping but do you have the x100s now and like the images more, less, the same? Understand the usability differences but the end result is most important to me!

Some people have sold the S and gone back to the X100, others seem to like the S more!

Joe

Last edited:
Image quality 99% of the times, the same. Noise and very low light are better on the s though

Image quality 99% of the times, the same. Noise and very low light are better on the s though

Thank you :) you may have saved me a few hundred quid ;). EDIT: Then again, maybe not, they seem to be averaging about £400-450 on eBay, I can pick up a new X100S in Bangkok for about £675! Maybe I'll get lucky on this forum with an X100 sale at a decent price, I have a friend meeting me in the Philippines on 22nd December who could bring a used one over for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked already - I'm on a super slow EDGE connection in Thailand :/
I would like to pick up either the X100 or X100s (with VAT rebate the S is pretty cheap over here).

Could someone who has owned both cameras please let me know which they prefer purely in terms of image quality? I don't mean pixel peeping but do you have the x100s now and like the images more, less, the same? Understand the usability differences but the end result is most important to me!

Some people have sold the S and gone back to the X100, others seem to like the S more!

Joe

By all accounts the X100S is slightly better in everyway. I have only used the X100 but from what I have read about the X100S it fixes some of minor gripes I have found with the X100, the fiddly auto focus selection switch, dodgy menus and the poor up close AF. As well as the usual minor increase in numbers ISO, MP, etc.

I would have got the S if I could have justified the cost, but the S was roughly twice the cost. I didn't deem the extras worth the cost.

Have you installed the recent v2 firmware because most of those issues have been fixed? Though I'm unsure what you're referring to when you mention the focus switch. The switch at the side? I thought the X100s had the same switch? Personally I really like the menu system on the X100. I know many didn't.

By all accounts the X100S is slightly better in everyway. I have only used the X100 but from what I have read about the X100S it fixes some of minor gripes I have found with the X100, the fiddly auto focus selection switch, dodgy menus and the poor up close AF. As well as the usual minor increase in numbers ISO, MP, etc.

I would have got the S if I could have justified the cost, but the S was roughly twice the cost. I didn't deem the extras worth the cost.

Last edited:
Have you installed the recent v2 firmware because most of those issues have been fixed? Though I'm unsure what you're referring to when you mention the focus switch. The switch at the side? I thought the X100s had the same switch? Personally I really like the menu system on the X100. I know many didn't.

I have Firmware 2.01.

The focus switch is fiddly as hell, it also has single shot focus (the most common setting) in the middle position which is the most difficult position to select. I'm sure I read somewhere this had been improved.
AF is still poor up close I have found I often get the RED AF warning up even with Macro on.
I have found the menu system unintuitive as well as simply not working on occasion. I have had a couple of times where a feature isn't working yet it is selected in the menu, i.e. a display in the OVF or the function of the ISO button, to resolve this you must change the setting to something else turn the camera off and on, then reset the setting to what you want. Also maybe it is just my big hands but I find the menu/wheel/buttons small and fiddly.

Last edited:
I've never encountered any of those peculiarities. Though I do recall a couple of sticky threads on the excellent Fuji X Forum where they talk about something similar and there was a logical explanation believe it or not! I find the closer auto focussing to be superb. That was a huge leap with the V2 firmware though not as big as the improvement to the manual focussing operation in my opinion. I agree about the side switch, it is awful. Did they improve that on the S? The only other aspect of the camera I don't like is the loose feel to the control wheel. I don't think they improved that on the S either did they?

I have Firmware 2.01.

The focus switch is fiddly as hell, it also has single shot focus (the most common setting) in the middle position which is the most difficult position to select. I'm sure I read somewhere this had been improved.
AF is still poor up close I have found I often get the RED AF warning up even with Macro on.
I have found the menu system unintuitive as well as simply not working on occasion. I have had a couple of times where a feature isn't working yet it is selected in the menu, i.e. a display in the OVF or the function of the ISO button, to resolve this you must change the setting to something else turn the camera off and on, then reset the setting to what you want. Also maybe it is just my big hands but I find the menu/wheel/buttons small and fiddly.

Last edited:
Whats the light like when you are focusing closely? I must admit I'm doing it inside but not really dark 800 maybe 1600.

I only bought mine about a month ago and haven't used a pre V2 camera. I do agree with the control wheel though it just feel cheap, especially considering how high quality the rest of the camera is.

I must also say I do REALLY like the camera, those above are just a few minor issues.

I noticed the improved close focussing in all conditions, but initially upon installing v2 I tested it in fairly dark conditions indoors at night with the lights on. Not only that though, I also found that focussing is generally more accurate and reliable, especially in poorer light. I know a lot of people raved about the faster auto focussing but I didn't notice a great improvement but it is definitely quicker. There are a few people believe it or not on the X forums who've since sold their X100s and gone back to the X100 since the V2 update. Some who own both and intended to sell the X100 but decided to keep it after seeing the improvements with v2. I guess the differences in the two camera's sensors is enough for some people to hang on to both. Then some don't like the X-Trans of the X100S and prefer the Bayer sensor of the X100. If I had the money I'd like both :) The bigger resolution of the S would certainly be handy. I think the X100 is a magnificent camera (as no doubt the X100S is!) and it never fails to make me smile when I come back from an outing and process the photos.

Whats the light like when you are focusing closely? I must admit I'm doing it inside but not really dark 800 maybe 1600.

I only bought mine about a month ago and haven't used a pre V2 camera. I do agree with the control wheel though it just feel cheap, especially considering how high quality the rest of the camera is.

I must also say I do REALLY like the camera, those above are just a few minor issues.

Last edited:
I just like how easy it is to take nice photos especially in difficult conditions and especially of people. Maybe I'm benig to harsh on the AF but that for me was the one let down I guess I'm trying to compare it to a decent DSLR!

I think Contrast Detection Auto Focus speed on Mirrorless cameras is challenging for designers. Especially with larger APS-C size sensors like the X100 has. On my other cameras, all m43, auto focus speed is very fast. But of course they have smaller sensors. From what I can gather the v2 update brought the new updated CDAF algorithm that Fuji worked on for their newer X cameras. I know I said that I didn't notice a huge leap in AF speed with v2 firmware but I've definitely been getting more keepers when chasing my daughter around. The pics I posted above would have been trickier pre v2! Spare a thought for those early X100 adopters who had a great camera hampered with early firmware that had pretty slow AF speed by all accounts.

I just like how easy it is to take nice photos especially in difficult conditions and especially of people. Maybe I'm benig to harsh on the AF but that for me was the one let down I guess I'm trying to compare it to a decent DSLR!

Its why I never buy tech on release, wait a while till the bugs are ironed out and it is cheaper:D

Just taken mine out on its first outing,found after about 10min use i could find where everything was,no problem with focusing even as those the light was low,will have a look at the photos later,and see what they are like :)

Just had an email from Fuji telling me new firmware is available for the X100s, V1.10.
Installed and working, just trying to figure out what its done......

Allan

What are peoples recommendation for a bag? I'd need the camera to fit with the hood attached.

Heard good things about the BlackRapid SnapR 35, but I'd prefer something more 'retro' so I'm looking in to Billingham bags too.

I had a Billingham Hadley Pro, then a small. Great bags, but too bulky for me. I ended up with a Domke F-803. Superb bag, Hadley small inserts fit it too. I can fit my X100s, X20 sunglasses, spare batteries, XF-1, spare sd cards, penknife(?) lens cleaning pens and cloths, both chargers and still have room for other stuff. It's quite slim too, so is easy to wear.
Allan

I've been playing around with manual flash recently. I took this using a bathroom light sphere with the flash inside. I got the idea from the strobist website. Theres some really cool tips on there.

View attachment 3431

Love it Lee. Very inventive. Good to see this thread bumped.

Hi Lee, Great shot and an ideal thing to try when it's not really good enough to get out.(y)

Well, Christmas day came and my Wife surprised me with a new (used) Fuji X100s. I haven't had much chance to mess with it yet apart from updating the firmware (1.10) which promptly removed the previous owners' custom settings (tweaks on sharpness etc.).

I'm at a friends wedding on Sat and the X100s is coming with me.

So, I was wondering, what custom tweaks are people running (also which version of Lightroom do you need to edit the X-Trans RAW files)?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
I'm really keen to see how I get on with this camera!

49 to 34mm step down ring with filter adaptor as lens hood. You can go down as low as 28mm without vignetting.

Fujifilm official case.

A leather strap and Op-tech strap connectors for multiple carrying options.

Thumb grip for additional holding comfort.

The noise reduction is a little harsh so a lot of people set it to -1 and sharpness +1.
I use auto DR and iso, setting the maximum iso to 6400 (the files are that good).
Auto DR does produce under exposed raw files at 200-400%, but when dynamic range is limited to 100% I have found it hard to extract the same detail at times. So I prefer to adjust the exposure in Lightroom.
I use af-s for most things but when light is bad, the focus peaking manual focus mode works well.
I tend to use astia for most images but switch to PRO Neg. std when shooting people indoors. The auto white balance setting gets confused with the energy saving bulbs I have in my house (lovely orange colour casts ), so this cooler film simulation works well.

I would upgrade to the latest lightroom. I had lightroom 4 and noticed a difference in the files when I upgraded. They seem much sharper and the x trans colour is notoriously difficult anyway, so the latest updates always bring improvements there.

Enjoy it!!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It came with an official hood so I'll get an appropriately sized polariser (mine is 77mm!) and that'll stay on most of the time. I can't justify spending much on accessories, apart from a strap, well, and maybe a case.

Thanks for all of the tips above. I can't see me getting on too well tomorrow but I'm only taking it to gain some familiarity / take snaps really. The main thing is working out how the AF works best as focus and recompose seems to be a bit No-No.

People weren't kidding when they said the noise reductions is aggressive, woah!

Anyhow, struggled with the AF in the Church but I love the files I DID manage to get (although I managed to leave it on small jpg. Mistake...(and it looked so good with my suit :p )

Back