Fuji x100

OK. So I received my X100 from 2nd hand UK camera company. Not that pleased as the charger plastic bit was missing and the condition is not as informed. Anyway, seems to work OK but I have found an issue already haha.

I have noticed that at 2.0 my camera back focuses by roughly 1-2 inches in MACRO mode but NOT in non-MACRO. Images attached to show issue. Batteries spaced around 1-2 inches back and forward respectively.

Can anyone confirm this anomaly on their on x100 please?

Thanks.

You may know already but a £1 coin fits in the charger to make up the gap. I bought the expro double charger in the end. Not at home so can't check the focus issue.

OK. So I received my X100 from 2nd hand UK camera company. Not that pleased as the charger plastic bit was missing and the condition is not as informed. Anyway, seems to work OK but I have found an issue already haha.

I have noticed that at 2.0 my camera back focuses by roughly 1-2 inches in MACRO mode but NOT in non-MACRO. Images attached to show issue. Batteries spaced around 1-2 inches back and forward respectively.

Can anyone confirm this anomaly on their on x100 please?

Thanks.

I thought you couldn't back or front focus with Mirror-less cameras, is what you seeing the change of DOF with camera being set in macro mode?

Anyway, suppose it doesn't even matter now - Camera is going back to shop. I have found it is also suffering from SAB issues. setting camera to f16 and watching the blades with half-press shutter is showing all different sizes of aperture. Brilliant. They said they tested it in the shop.... no they didn't.

It's ironic, I bought the X100 to get away from all the "copy" and "calibration" issues i was getting with my Canon DSLR and plethora of lenses. A camera that would just "work"

FFS.

I thought you couldn't back or front focus, unless you have a faulty camera or lens.

Arjay, Admin from Fuji-x-Forum sums it up in your thread which I have pasted below.

"Back-focusing is inherently impossible on a contrast-detect AF system because you're directly using the imaging sensor's data for focusing (and not any data from a separate sensor like in a DSLR). I'm saying this because the only possibilities to get mis-focused results are
  • having background elements inside the AF frame that have more contrast than the actual target,
  • mis-positioning the AF frame, or
  • being too close even for macro focusing (I don't think that's the case in your example)."

Guttening you have a faulty camera, can you afford to buy a new one or are you going back to the drawing board? Didn't you part ex lenses towards it?

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't back or front focus, unless you have a faulty camera or lens.

Arjay, Admin from Fuji-x-Forum sums it up in your thread which I have pasted below.

"Back-focusing is inherently impossible on a contrast-detect AF system because you're directly using the imaging sensor's data for focusing (and not any data from a separate sensor like in a DSLR). I'm saying this because the only possibilities to get mis-focused results are
  • having background elements inside the AF frame that have more contrast than the actual target,
  • mis-positioning the AF frame, or
  • being too close even for macro focusing (I don't think that's the case in your example)."

Guttening you have a faulty camera, can you afford to buy a new one or are you going back to the drawing board? Didn't you part ex lenses towards it?

It defiantly back-focused mate. I tested way too much.

The camera has gone back for a replacement which should have been here Friday. Due to a massive balls up after balls up by DPD I now have to wait till Monday. Not happy.

I'm not giving up yet though ;) will update next week!

Nice pics Rob. I absolutely love my x100 too. I really like what they are doing with the x100t and have a bit (lot) of gear lust for it, but there really is some magic in the original sensor that I'd be terrified to lose if I upgraded.

Thanks. Yes I know what you mean. Perhaps it's fortunate that there's really no way I can afford the X100T! I tend to buy second hand cameras that are a generation old. I shall probably own a T in around 2 years time :) Saying that I'm completely happy with the X100 and the sensor. Combined with the lens it just does some magical things.

Nice pics Rob. I absolutely love my x100 too. I really like what they are doing with the x100t and have a bit (lot) of gear lust for it, but there really is some magic in the original sensor that I'd be terrified to lose if I upgraded.

Last edited:
OK. So I'm back! and this time I have an X100 that is ace! No focus issues either.

I didn't want mention the company I used at first as I wanted to wait for a resolution, the whole story.

MBP Photographic. Since I reported the faulty camera, they have been brilliant. Collected the faulty camera same day (Thursday) organised a replacement, that had been re-tested/made sure to be great, for next day delivery. I would have had it too had it not been for DPD making a terrible hash of the delivery. Finally received it Monday and have been loving it ever since. Can honestly recommend MPB to anyone considering purchasing from them, great company.

What can be achieved with this camera in low light has amazed me. I will take a while adjusting to this fixed lens but I feel like I'm really having to "learn" with this camera, great fun!

A few shots mostly SOOC.

View attachment 24457 View attachment 24458 View attachment 24459 View attachment 24460

Last edited:
Why do consumer electronics always come last to the middle east?

My money is burning a hole in my pocket big time!

Hi guys, any thoughts on a cheaper alternative silver thumb grip for my X100 here in the UK.

There is loads on ebay but I don't like the look of the alen key type. Buggered if I'm spending £50 importing a lensmate grip.

Last edited:
The Lensmate is good for the x100 as it is molded around the dials as they are a bit too loose (stiffened on the 100s). I have one and it is just right. For my XE2 I decided the Lensmate was too dear, so I bought the Fittest mz-001. Its a bit loose in the hot shoe but solved with tape. Its now perfect. It gets a good review on Amazon used on a 100s. 11 quid.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I am. Wonderful little thing! I share your passion for the D750 as well... ;-)

I honestly can't wait.

I'm loving the D750 and plan to use this for more "serious" stuff, but I'm really looking forward to using the X100T as my go-to street/travel camera.

I love certain aspects of the x100 but also find some things frustrating..its not always the quickest camera to use. However, after planning to buy the x100t, I'm not so sure. My xe2 with 27 and 18mm lenses is faster and a nice little combo. Pros and cons of both cameras of course.

Weston Park Museum, Sheffield.

Pretty dark. Don't think I've ever had cause before to bump up auto ISO to 3200.

i-GVHjtg8-XL.jpg

i-9vtkRH3-XL.jpg

i-SsLsTvQ-XL.jpg

i-bMLpXCX-XL.jpg

i-VxJD2TM-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OK. So I'm back! and this time I have an X100 that is ace! No focus issues either.

I didn't want mention the company I used at first as I wanted to wait for a resolution, the whole story.

MBP Photographic. Since I reported the faulty camera, they have been brilliant. Collected the faulty camera same day (Thursday) organised a replacement, that had been re-tested/made sure to be great, for next day delivery. I would have had it too had it not been for DPD making a terrible hash of the delivery. Finally received it Monday and have been loving it ever since. Can honestly recommend MPB to anyone considering purchasing from them, great company.

What can be achieved with this camera in low light has amazed me. I will take a while adjusting to this fixed lens but I feel like I'm really having to "learn" with this camera, great fun!

A few shots mostly SOOC.

View attachment 24457 View attachment 24458 View attachment 24459 View attachment 24460
Hope i dont get the one you sent back. I just ordered one from mpb last night.

Well unless you have bought the £249 one that is clearly marked as faulty (my return) then you shouldn't ;)

AH, they have a black one on there now... :( I really wanted black.

Anyway, I'm sure you will be happy. MPB are good company who understand customer satisfaction. AND I'm still in love with my X100! brilliant camera!

Bit of a latecomer to the X100 owners camp but mine arrived yesterday, not had too much time to play with it yet but really liking it so far.
loving how simple it feels compared to the D700.
My intention is that it will travel with me everywhere for family days out, no excuses as it fits in a coat pocket.

Any suggestions for "essential" accessories? Ive got a thread adaptor with hood, a centre pinch cap and a spare battery.

Bit of a latecomer to the X100 owners camp but mine arrived yesterday, not had too much time to play with it yet but really liking it so far.
loving how simple it feels compared to the D700.
My intention is that it will travel with me everywhere for family days out, no excuses as it fits in a coat pocket.

Any suggestions for "essential" accessories? Ive got a thread adaptor with hood, a centre pinch cap and a spare battery.
Sounds like your a soft release and thumb grip away from a fully pimped out camera!

Does a soft release add anything of use or is it jus an aesthetic add on?
Can see a thumb grip being useful, any reccomendations for an inexpensive version?

Does a soft release add anything of use or is it jus an aesthetic add on?
Can see a thumb grip being useful, any reccomendations for an inexpensive version?
Lensmate do a fairly well reviewed thumb grip.

Soft release feels more comfortable and can help steady the hand when shooting. Plus, they look uber-cool!

New X100T owner, and old X100 in the past saying hello. The soft release button can be useful if you find the camera release a little too recessed for easy use. Personally I did have one when I had the original X100 and it made finding the shutter release easier but the soft release was forever falling out. This time round a chap in Germany had identified some small rubber washers that are supposed to help keep the soft release in place so I'll be trying that. It is not actually a soft release as such. There is an aesthetic side to it as well.

New X100T owner, and old X100 in the past saying hello. The soft release button can be useful if you find the camera release a little too recessed for easy use. Personally I did have one when I had the original X100 and it made finding the shutter release easier but the soft release was forever falling out. This time round a chap in Germany had identified some small rubber washers that are supposed to help keep the soft release in place so I'll be trying that. It is not actually a soft release as such. There is an aesthetic side to it as well.

How are you finding your X100T compared to X100?

I'm thinking of doing the same.

I sold the X100 before the software update which seemed to improve handling. The X100T is therefor ahead of the original by quite a large margin particularly with regards focussing and manual focussing os now not only possible (it was a dead loss on the X100) but fun. I have yet to really get to grips fully with the T but so far its all positive. The X100 however despite a few functional annoyances produced fantastic pictures when I got it right, as yet the T has yet to produce that wow picture but again its so new that its not been used for anything beyond play yet.

I had an x100 last year and loved it in terms of iq, looks and use... Aside from the AF! If the t is loads better in that regard it looks like my wallet will be lighter! Please be rubbish!

I had an x100 last year and loved it in terms of iq, looks and use... Aside from the AF! If the t is loads better in that regard it looks like my wallet will be lighter! Please be rubbish!
Sorry Simon, but it's much much better :D

Just received a 2nd hand x100s - seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Quick question - it seems really dark. Today was really bright and sunny - but even with the apeture at f 2.0, ISO at 200 I had to have the SS at, like, 250, 150, etc. Which seems a bit dark compared to other cameras.

Is there some setting I should fiddle with/reset?

Just received a 2nd hand x100s - seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Quick question - it seems really dark. Today was really bright and sunny - but even with the apeture at f 2.0, ISO at 200 I had to have the SS at, like, 250, 150, etc. Which seems a bit dark compared to other cameras.

Is there some setting I should fiddle with/reset?

Make sure the in-built ND filter is off

Also - what size polarising filter would I grab? 52mm?

If you have the hood and filter holder then a 49mm will be the correct size

Back