Fuji x100

The Lensmate thumb rest is ideal on the X100 series. I'm not so sure about soft releases. I didn't find it a lot of benefit and many people have lost them in the street too :)

Re above, I have a X100, x100s and an XE2. The XE2 is very nice and (to me) a serious contender to the X100 series - pros and cons of course. I love mine and it has face detection (and classic chrome (and faster autofocus)). Worth consideration if that was a priority and the T was out of budget.

Just picked up an X100T a fortnight ago. I like it a lot. Image quality is not quite up with my RX1 (in the classifieds now) but usability is way better, which is a tradeoff I am happy to make.

Just picked up an X100T a fortnight ago. I like it a lot. Image quality is not quite up with my RX1 (in the classifieds now) but usability is way better, which is a tradeoff I am happy to make.
Have u had an x100 or S before? If so how do they compare?

Have u had an x100 or S before? If so how do they compare?

No, but I have lusted after one since they first came out. I usedto have a Leica M9 and the X100T is the closest I've experienced in terms of usability, indeed the X100T is a lot more flexible.

The problem with the RX1 is the lack of built in viewfinder and the size of the lens sticking out the front. It will be very interesting to see what the Sony curved sensor tech comes up with as it should allow a much shorter lens to be fitted with full frame.

Still debating the S or T choice - cost wise the S is £240 or so cheaper so makes sense, but face detection means it can be used as a P&S and handed to the wife? My understanding is that the other improvements on the T don't really affect me unless the AF is so much better.

Still debating the S or T choice - cost wise the S is £240 or so cheaper so makes sense, but face detection means it can be used as a P&S and handed to the wife? My understanding is that the other improvements on the T don't really affect me unless the AF is so much better.

Simon, your on page one of this thread, did you get a fuji 100 in the 4 years?

I`ve just ordered a Fuji x100s, it hasn`t arrived yet but i went for the `S` version as i didnt see anything that was worth the extra £300, i paid £699 from WEX photographic and it comes with a genuine case. Only thing i really wanted was the classic chrome filter, but i am hoping that will come to the x100s in a firmware update if not i`m sure VSCO have something similar.

In my opinion i prefer the x100s rather than the x100t, the t looks very plain on the back.
Also having used the Fui x20 i like the scroll wheel on the back so another reason for me selecting the 100s.

Last edited:
Is it me or what??

On the last page 74.

Looking at images from Lee_Weir and Chipbutty. Lee uses an x100s and images look kinda soft where as chipbutty uses an x100 and his images look razor sharp??

Not looked at those images and certainly not commenting directly on anyone's images, but there is a school of thought that jpgs from the x100 can't be beat by the later cameras. There is also plenty of discussion re processing of x100s raw files, some have little faith in Lightroom to render them correctly, smudging detail. Seems odd that Fuji haven't brought Classic Chrome to the x100s, its still available. However, there is a way to do it in post, changing your exif to an x100t. Can then be applied in Lightroom apparently although never tried it.

Is the T really worth the extra money over the S? I've an XT-1 with 35 and 18-55 lenses. Thinking of ditching the zoom and getting an S or T?

Not looked at those images and certainly not commenting directly on anyone's images, but there is a school of thought that jpgs from the x100 can't be beat by the later cameras. There is also plenty of discussion re processing of x100s raw files, some have little faith in Lightroom to render them correctly, smudging detail. Seems odd that Fuji haven't brought Classic Chrome to the x100s, its still available. However, there is a way to do it in post, changing your exif to an x100t. Can then be applied in Lightroom apparently although never tried it.

Good point also just lokked at David Hobby and Zack arias reviews again and those images are razor sharp.
I suppose there could be several reasons why some images look the way they do, cleaniness of lens, user error? and also if a UV filter was used (dont like them at all lol)

Is the T really worth the extra money over the S? I've an XT-1 with 35 and 18-55 lenses. Thinking of ditching the zoom and getting an S or T?
Depends Simon.

For me I'm a sucker for "future proofing" when I buy gear. So now I expect wifi, snappy performance, intuitive viewfinder etc... All of which are standard with the T but not so much with the S.

Don't get me the wrong, the S is great, but when money is no object (I had the money saved) I always "future proof".

I expect more firmware updates in the future for the T that won't be available for the S.

Simon, your on page one of this thread, did you get a fuji 100 in the 4 years?

I`ve just ordered a Fuji x100s, it hasn`t arrived yet but i went for the `S` version as i didnt see anything that was worth the extra £300, i paid £699 from WEX photographic and it comes with a genuine case. Only thing i really wanted was the classic chrome filter, but i am hoping that will come to the x100s in a firmware update if not i`m sure VSCO have something similar.

In my opinion i prefer the x100s rather than the x100t, the t looks very plain on the back.
Also having used the Fui x20 i like the scroll wheel on the back so another reason for me selecting the 100s.

Yes. Had one a couple of years ago lovely camera but got very frustrated with AF. Decided I want another as everything else is wonderful about the camera so thinking the s as it has better AF I believe.

Aside from chrome and layout, plus the 1/32000 and better evf, am not certain what the main differences are between the two.

If your last hands on with an X100 was two years ago, the last firmware transformed the camera. AF speeded up considerably, and the X100S still just pushes ahead a bit more. My XE2 seems quicker though (I have all 3 currently).

Yes. Had one a couple of years ago lovely camera but got very frustrated with AF. Decided I want another as everything else is wonderful about the camera so thinking the s as it has better AF I believe.

Aside from chrome and layout, plus the 1/32000 and better evf, am not certain what the main differences are between the two.

Also i firmly believe the x100s WILL get the classic chrome preset just cant see why they wouldn`t especially with the pros using it on hacked x100s already.
EVF prob wont get a change and maybe just maybe there may be a rise in the shutter speed but not as high as 1/32000

I'll see how I go. I really like my 35mm on my XT-1 and rarely use the 18-55mm. I wonder if I'm going to want to offload the 35 and XT and stick with a 100 series plus the two lens adapters.

I bought a leather case and neck strap for my Fuji X-Pro1 on eBay from a company in China. Wasn't overly optimistic but the quality was amazing and a prefect fit. They threw in a free leather wrist strap so I use that on my silver X100S.View attachment 28312

I used to have a Gordy http://gordyscamerastraps.tumblr.com wrist strap with the original X100 and as wrist straps go it was excellent in a chunky leather sort of way and looked great. Now, having returned to the X100 with a "T", I went for a Peak Design neck strap which has a neat release mechanism and allows rapid change to the wrist strap. However I am finding that the very pliable strap is actually better used just wrapped round my wrist for one handed operation and I prefer it to the wrist strap. Personal choice of course but for me the wrist strap is less useful than the neck strap in day to day use as I can quickly change from carrying it over a shoulder to having it tethered to my wrist in a few quick movements. Straps are a little like bags though and there is never seems to be a "perfect" one and I do now fancy one of the cord style ones like the Lance straps http://lancecamerastraps.com one of which has the QR and wrist strap version similar to the Peak Design (but in cord).

Love my X100S for family walks rather than lugging the 1DX around,infact i dont very often leave the house now without it.

Last edited:
Anyone upgrade from the X100S to the X100T? Worth the upgrade? I have the XT-1and like the user interface and the classic chrome simulation not to mention the wifi feature as it allows me to travel with the camera and iPad and access my images directly. I can get an X100T with 12 month warranty for £809.

Anyone had a problem with the power button on the X100S? Had mine 4 weeks from the Fuji refurb store and now can't turn it off unless I take the battery out! It's obviously under warranty but I'm disappointed to say the least?
I had my X100s from the refurb store a couple of weeks ago, no problems with the power button, nor the new one I had a while ago.
As yours is under warranty, you should send it back, a good opportunity to upgrade to the 100T, but, it's basically the same camera,and only worth upgrading if you think the extra features are worth another £250!
Personally, I wouldnt, unless there was a major physical ( sensor/ processor) upgrade in there somewhere.
Allan

Thanks Allan. I'm not sure if the differences are worth the extra money, I'll try it and then see. Many seem to rate it as a much faster camera than the S in terms of AF. If that's the case I might go for it, if I find little difference I'll return it and stick with the S.

My power button went loose on my X100. Fuji repaired it in a couple of days. Still worked but rotated too much.

I had a play with the x100T. The back screen is brilliant. AF is also very fast. The new button layout is also much more logical.

But is there any way to configure the 4 direction buttons for moving AF point? All I can find is to relocate the existing AF button, no way to change how it works, meaning have to 1 press to start move AF point mode then press the direction buttons.

I want the direction buttons work like the joystick on my 5D2 mark 2. I can configure my 5D in such a way that when I touch the joystick, the AF points move, no need to engage move AF point mode. Is there a similar function on the more customisable T model?

I had a play with the x100T. The back screen is brilliant. AF is also very fast. The new button layout is also much more logical.

But is there any way to configure the 4 direction buttons for moving AF point? All I can find is to relocate the existing AF button, no way to change how it works, meaning have to 1 press to start move AF point mode then press the direction buttons.

I want the direction buttons work like the joystick on my 5D2 mark 2. I can configure my 5D in such a way that when I touch the joystick, the AF points move, no need to engage move AF point mode. Is there a similar function on the more customisable T model?

Yes there is as mine is set like that. Will have s look later. There is a menu setting for that.

Going to make a determined effort to take more photos with my X100 this year. I'm getting one or two I like regularly, but I really struggle with composition while I'm shooting - often I'll only see things which I like when I look at the resulting image later if that makes sense.

Off to bed by narbs3231, on Flickr

Gressoney-La-Trinite, Italy by narbs3231, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well just bought another x100 i tried the x100s but i much prefer the original version :)
Why? What's better about it? I have the original version and am constantly tempted to upgrade, mainly to get the 16MP sensor and faster AF.

Why? What's better about it? I have the original version and am constantly tempted to upgrade, mainly to get the 16MP sensor and faster AF.
I prefer the look of the x100 images especially in b&w there is another depth to them as for the af after the last update i do not notice any differnce, yes you get a bigger file out of the 16mp but again its not a deal breaker for me. although the low light on the s is better.

Last edited:
So I finally bit the bullet and got the X100T. I wanted to stick with the X100S til the next upgrade but I was handed one to shoot with at an event recently and I was very impressed with the AF speed. It's a LOT snappier. I have both here right now so I'm not just imagining this and it's puzzling to me how this isn't talked about more. It's the major reason to upgrade from S to T imo but everyone's just talking about Classic Chrome and Face Detection? :D

I prefer the look of the x100 images especially in b&w there is another depth to them as for the af after the last update i do not notice any differnce, yes you get a bigger file out of the 16mp but again its not a deal breaker for me. although the low light on the s is better.

Surely much of that can be boosted in PP? For me, the AF is soon much better and reason alone to upgrade. Even if it didn't have chrome, 16mp, face etc... it is worth the upgrade.

I currently have the X100S, in fact it's advertised on this forum for sale as i bought an X100T from the refurb store, unfortunately it's faulty, I'm unable to change focus mode, it's stuck on AF-C. It also locks on focus, then re-focuses ad infinitum. I'm calling Fuji tomorrow, not sure whether to take a refund, or wait for another X100T.

Just got back from a break in Fuerteventura. Thought I'd leave my Nikon stuff at home and go light with just my X100S and wide angle converter, lightweight tripod and some filters for landscape stuff. (I also took my Nikon V1 and 30-110mm for telephoto stuff). Very pleased at how capable this little camera is :)

Here's a couple of shots:

Desert Sunrise by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Zig-Zag by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Last edited:
These are two very nice shots Dave, I like them both very much.

I've been considering the WCL & TCL for my X100s and I think you have just made up my mind. I'm impressed.(y)

George.

Hmm, just shelled out for an X-Pro1 but seriously considering selling all the add ons I have and keeping the X100 as a second camera. Especially since some of my favourite shots of the past two years have been with this camera. The fill flash is just perfection.

Back